Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880053 times)

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3975 on: February 08, 2013, 12:17:47 am »

A wereweasel has sprung from ambush! The only injury during the battle was a caravan bodyguard (a macedwarf) who was bitten, drawing blood. Now I'm hoping the caravan packs up before the next full moon. Does the game keep track of this once he leaves the map? Will he become a wereweasel off-screen?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: February 08, 2013, 05:10:27 am »

nothing happens outside your embark, he'll be suspended in a state of non-animation untill the next time he visits
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: February 08, 2013, 01:41:30 pm »

Caught me some bushmasters. Feel like letting some goblins play Indiana Jones ("Why did it have to be snakes?!"). I noticed they don't have a child tag, but do they need any tags to determine how long it takes for their eggs to actually hatch?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: February 08, 2013, 03:43:28 pm »

nothing happens outside your embark, he'll be suspended in a state of non-animation untill the next time he visits

Ooh, I hadn't considered that... sometimes caravan guards from previous visits do reappear at a later date. Or he could become a migrant if I ever un-cap my population. I mainly am worried that having to kill him will cause a loyalty cascade, since he's a dwarf of my civ - I've never had one happen, but wouldn't this be a prime cause of one?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: February 08, 2013, 03:47:37 pm »

Ooh, I hadn't considered that... sometimes caravan guards from previous visits do reappear at a later date. Or he could become a migrant if I ever un-cap my population. I mainly am worried that having to kill him will cause a loyalty cascade, since he's a dwarf of my civ - I've never had one happen, but wouldn't this be a prime cause of one?

it would be hillarious though

Caught me some bushmasters. Feel like letting some goblins play Indiana Jones ("Why did it have to be snakes?!"). I noticed they don't have a child tag, but do they need any tags to determine how long it takes for their eggs to actually hatch?

yes, they need a child tag to have the eggs hatch. Note that bushmasters are pretty tiny, they'll have a hard time penetrating clothing with their bite
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: February 08, 2013, 04:31:19 pm »

it would be hillarious though

yes, they need a child tag to have the eggs hatch. Note that bushmasters are pretty tiny, they'll have a hard time penetrating clothing with their bite

Meh, mostly I plan to dump them naked into a pit full of the things and laugh. Also I'm playing with the Fortress Defense mod and plenty of besieging civs in that one show up without clothing besides armour, so, emergency "fuck the FPS" viper cage lever plan is a go-go.

So does nobody have any idea what tags determine how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: February 08, 2013, 04:38:59 pm »

So does nobody have any idea what tags determine how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?
All eggs hatch in the same amount of time (9 months I think, though for determining fertile/nonfertile I usually give it a year to be safe). As long as a creature has a [CHILD:X] token it should be fine.

Note that there is a small workaround that is sometimes needed to make creatures in your current fort that you just added a [CHILD:X] token to lay fertile eggs.
1)When your creature lays a clutch of eggs claim it.
2)It's possible your creature might lay another clutch almost immediately, if they do claim it as well.
3)Once the creature has laid at least one clutch of eggs that you have claimed and then it has wandered around the fort for a month or so, the next clutch should be fertile.

This is usually required when people have had creatures sitting on non-fertile eggs for a year or so, os the creature sort of "saves up" the nonfertile eggs and stops laying fertile ones until you take them all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #3982 on: February 09, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »

Do Militia Capitains keep working while their unit is inactive, or once I make them a militia capitain are they now a member of the nobility?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: February 09, 2013, 07:49:54 pm »

Do Militia Capitains keep working while their unit is inactive, or once I make them a militia capitain are they now a member of the nobility?

Militia Captains (and your Commander) will work at their specified labours whilst inactive. Keep in mind that they may drop their labours upon becoming 'Elite' even though they don't gain a title change (as such), and they will do Individual Drills in their downtime as they wish if they have a valid training area.

(In other words they behave exactly like any other militia-dwarf)

Scorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: February 11, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »

How do I kill my goblin prisoners without destroying their cages? My carpenter doesn't like it when I atom-smash them in the cages. At this point I'm happy with effective and will later work my way up to creative.

Scorus

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: February 11, 2013, 05:11:03 pm »

How do I kill my goblin prisoners without destroying their cages? My carpenter doesn't like it when I atom-smash them in the cages. At this point I'm happy with effective and will later work my way up to creative.

Scorus

This might help. If you're only concerned about goblin removal, then building an atomsmasher under a mass pit device should allow you to terminate them efficiently; later you might consider using them as sparring partners for dwarves (needless to say the goblins will not be requiring weapons for this), or dropping them into a 10z-plus pit for more efficient bone production.

If you do go the mass-pit route, take heed of the warnings about accessibility - you don't want to let a bunch of Kea loose in your fort, unless you like not having stuff.

Krysa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: February 11, 2013, 05:20:18 pm »

I have central straircase, on 3rd floor I made a garbage dump and dumped there some stuff like stone, hemaite from 5th floor. Garbage dump was near workshops so I deleted it and reclaimed that whole pile, but every mason or mech. just pass around like it is forbidden and blindly go to lowest floor for stone - stone workshop production is pretty slow now .

What can I do with this problem ? All items are claimed, nothing is forbidden but every dwarf ignores it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: February 11, 2013, 05:30:08 pm »

I have central straircase, on 3rd floor I made a garbage dump and dumped there some stuff like stone, hemaite from 5th floor. Garbage dump was near workshops so I deleted it and reclaimed that whole pile, but every mason or mech. just pass around like it is forbidden and blindly go to lowest floor for stone - stone workshop production is pretty slow now .

What can I do with this problem ? All items are claimed, nothing is forbidden but every dwarf ignores it.
Put a stone stockpile under the dumped stone, and set it to give to the workshops.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: February 11, 2013, 07:21:13 pm »

Hematite? If that's the main stone that's causing you issues, then it's because (by default) it's considered an 'economic' stone - it's an ore of iron, so your dwarves will save it for that use.

Dwarves will prefer to path to the nearest stone in horizontal (x and y) dimensions, without accounting for what z-level it's on; if your workshops are built over any fresh mining lower down, that may be why any other stone is being ignored.

FuzzyZergling's answer should help you get rid of any non-economic stone in that pile. If you really want to use the metal ores to build stone goods, you can change the settings in the (z) -> Stone submenu.

Scorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: February 11, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »

This might help. If you're only concerned about goblin removal, then building an atomsmasher under a mass pit device should allow you to terminate them efficiently; later you might consider using them as sparring partners for dwarves (needless to say the goblins will not be requiring weapons for this), or dropping them into a 10z-plus pit for more efficient bone production.

If you do go the mass-pit route, take heed of the warnings about accessibility - you don't want to let a bunch of Kea loose in your fort, unless you like not having stuff.

That was beautiful, my carpenter and I thank you.

Will it work with bigger beasts also (Trolls, Minotaurs), or will they fight back?
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 422