Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880028 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3945 on: February 01, 2013, 11:58:54 am »

Can't you just designate ponds to irrigate?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: February 01, 2013, 12:31:14 pm »

I'd prefer flooding, but would use a drawbridge since that can't be destroyed by goblin mounts (sometimes they have cave crocs etc)

First I'd ask - are you sure you need to irrigate? only rock needs to be irrigated, soil, such as clay, sand, peat... other stuff doesn't need anything extra

It is clay. Thank you.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: February 01, 2013, 12:34:06 pm »

So if I need somebody to build a farm, do I just need the farming labor enabled?

If I need somebody to construct a mason's workshop out of wood then what labor do I need enabled?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: February 01, 2013, 12:41:22 pm »

So if I need somebody to build a farm, do I just need the farming labor enabled?

If I need somebody to construct a mason's workshop out of wood then what labor do I need enabled?
1)Yes, you need "Farming (fields)" enabled.
2)Masonry. In general for a workshop it's the profession that will be using the workshop that determines what is required to build it. What you build it out of has no influence upon the labor required. If you ever really need to check what labor is required, just set one up to be built and then (q) over it and it should tell you what labors can be used to build it. Keep in mind that a few buildings (namely bridges, furnaces, and forges) require more then one labor (or more then one dwarf) to build due to the fact that they need to be designed by an architect before being built.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: February 01, 2013, 01:33:53 pm »

So if I mix limonite and magnetite in a smelter I get a bar of iron? Am I pretty much guaranteed to find coal if I keep digging?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: February 01, 2013, 01:37:22 pm »

limonite and magnetite both give iron, no mixing required

coal tends to be near the surface, so digging deeper probably won't do the trick
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: February 01, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »

Am I pretty much guaranteed to find coal if I keep digging?
Coal is an ore very much like any other, and in fact the majority of sites do not have coal. If you don't have access to coal your alternatives are to either burn wood into charcoal or to tap into the magma reservoirs and use magma instead.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: February 01, 2013, 02:43:03 pm »

If you don't have access to coal your alternatives are to either burn wood into charcoal or to tap into the magma reservoirs and use magma instead.
Coal is still required for steel production, however, so you will have to burn at least some wood in order to get some decent weapons and armour.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: February 01, 2013, 02:48:21 pm »

If you don't have access to coal your alternatives are to either burn wood into charcoal or to tap into the magma reservoirs and use magma instead.
Coal is still required for steel production, however, so you will have to burn at least some wood in order to get some decent weapons and armour.

the amount for steel is nothing compared to how much you'd need if you had a lot of metal industry, but no magma
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: February 01, 2013, 03:34:18 pm »

Right. And if you're in a biome with no surface trees,  you can find trees in the caverns or irrigate a tree farm underground.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: February 01, 2013, 05:21:10 pm »

I've reached semi-molten rock. Do I build a smelter on top of lava once I find it?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: February 01, 2013, 05:35:30 pm »

While I must confess to having never built one, I believe magma workshops only require magma.  In fact, I'm pretty sure semi-molten rock doesn't work.  You have to build it over a 4/7 or greater tile of magma, if I recall correctly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: February 01, 2013, 05:43:33 pm »

correct

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: February 01, 2013, 09:01:54 pm »

Can you just channel and designate pools to irrigate stuff?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:40 pm »

Can you just channel and designate pools to irrigate stuff?
Yes, though your ponds need to be +1 z-level above what you want to irrigate. Also having a large number of small ponds will irrigate faster then one single pond, as each pond will only generate 1 task at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 422