Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880022 times)

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3930 on: January 29, 2013, 11:49:37 pm »

Can kittens grow to be cats while caged? I need more bone bolts but less pets.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: January 30, 2013, 12:20:28 am »

Yes. The only things that can't happen while creatures are in cages is drowning and breeding. Everything else (including the births from those already pregnant) continues like normal.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:17 am »

If I remember right young animals give the same butcher rate as their adult.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: January 30, 2013, 04:59:20 am »

If I remember right young animals give the same butcher rate as their adult.

you remember not right

Small animals give different butcher results and may be too small to give more than a skull and a few bones, and less bones at that
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: January 30, 2013, 11:52:12 am »

Thank you i2amroy and Sutremaine. Regarding a well, I figured if I made a few more buckets then I could bucket bomb enough, since there's usually some dwarves with no job.

Also I figured I'd want to save the animals for breeding.

edit: Oh, I was looking at the number of plants. I have 200 food and 17 dwarves.

Just curious but what's the most amount of dwarves anybody's ever gotten without modding?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:09:54 pm by Foxhound »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: January 30, 2013, 12:25:24 pm »

edit: Oh, I was looking at the number of plants. I have 200 food and 17 dwarves.

Just curious but what's the most amount of dwarves anybody's ever gotten without modding?
That's much better then only 32 food. :P

And I believe somebody once managed to run a little over 500 dwarves, though I believe they were only getting about 15 FPS with nothing else going on.

Lastly a note for any future bucket bombing, and that is that each pond zone can only have one dwarf filling it at any given time. Therefore if you have a large area that you want to drop water on, it's better to make a series of small pond zones then just one large one.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: January 30, 2013, 12:44:24 pm »

Yeah it's kind of time consuming. I have a little method where one row to walk down and two rows with holes on either side (seen here http://imgur.com/0CQ1r88). So now I've got this much for 17 dwarves, which seems pretty good: http://postimage.org/image/w46pq8i2p/

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: January 31, 2013, 12:24:07 pm »

I dug down to z-level 136 to semi-molten rock and haven't found any metal or coal. Should I dig sideways? Should I dig past the semi-molten rock?

edit: I guess I have struck limonite.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:48:35 pm by Foxhound »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: January 31, 2013, 12:55:00 pm »

I dug down to z-level 136 to semi-molten rock and haven't found any metal or coal. Should I dig sideways? Should I dig past the semi-molten rock?

edit: I guess I have struck limonite.
Usually hitting the caverns reveals enough to be able to see nearby ores. Try going back up and digging sideways (watch out for hot rock, since the SMR has magma on top of it in most cases!). What types of metals did your embark have? If it had shallow metals then start digging out from near the top of the stone. If it had deep ones then try digging out from the bottom of your shaft.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: January 31, 2013, 02:18:39 pm »

I made sure it had both shallow and deep metals.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: January 31, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »

I made sure it had both shallow and deep metals.

Shallow metal or shallow metals? Deep metal or deep metals?
There's a wiki page on exploratory mining methods, but in my experience you don't need any fancy shapes -- just mine in a straight line across the map every 3rd or 5th level until you find some metal.  Start with the shallowest levels, that's where you'll find iron if you're lucky enough to have it.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: January 31, 2013, 09:00:59 pm »

Does killing necromancers in a tower in Adventurer mode stop them from attacking my fort?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:57 pm »

Does killing necromancers in a tower in Adventurer mode stop them from attacking my fort?
Yes. The game tracks how many necromancers are present in a tower, and once they are all dead they won't visit your fortress anymore.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: February 01, 2013, 10:53:54 am »

If I'm near a river is it better to build a floodgate than a well in order to irrigate?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:57:17 am by Foxhound »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: February 01, 2013, 11:47:41 am »

I'd prefer flooding, but would use a drawbridge since that can't be destroyed by goblin mounts (sometimes they have cave crocs etc)

First I'd ask - are you sure you need to irrigate? only rock needs to be irrigated, soil, such as clay, sand, peat... other stuff doesn't need anything extra
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 422