Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879967 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3900 on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:48 pm »

do macros count the ctrl that you hold at the beginning (and end) as instructions?
It doesn't count Ctrl-r. Start the recording, do the macro, stop the recording, then Ctrl-s to save and name the new macro.
The Ctrl-r does show up at the end of the saved macro commands, though (despite not doing anything) and is something you can safely remove should you optimize your macro (which you should do with any macros you save, as it can easily cut the time they take by 80-95%).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: January 28, 2013, 01:48:47 am »

I just tried embarking on my first cold / freezing area.  I think it's half of each.  I also noticed that at some point half of my workshops randomly disappeared.

I'm pretty sure I built them in the cold half of the embark and not the one labeled as freezing.  However, I noticed that I have workshops with XblockXs in them, which were used for their construction.  The blocks were wooden (modded in sawmill).

Does the wearing out of wooden things happen only if the biome is labeled as freezing, or if it ever gets that cold outside for any reason?  I'm pretty sure I built most of those workshops outside of the area labeled as freezing, but I'm pretty sure their building materials decayed away.  Is my only alternative to use stone instead of wood?

Edit: I should probably mention that for RP reasons this is an above ground fort.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:57:33 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:12 am »

My dwarves are frequently being interrupted by stuff that belongs in refuse. Should I designate the stuff for dumping or will they throw it away eventually?

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: January 28, 2013, 10:56:40 am »

I just tried embarking on my first cold / freezing area.  I think it's half of each.  I also noticed that at some point half of my workshops randomly disappeared.

I'm pretty sure I built them in the cold half of the embark and not the one labeled as freezing.  However, I noticed that I have workshops with XblockXs in them, which were used for their construction.  The blocks were wooden (modded in sawmill).

Does the wearing out of wooden things happen only if the biome is labeled as freezing, or if it ever gets that cold outside for any reason?  I'm pretty sure I built most of those workshops outside of the area labeled as freezing, but I'm pretty sure their building materials decayed away.  Is my only alternative to use stone instead of wood?

Edit: I should probably mention that for RP reasons this is an above ground fort.

Are you using a mod?  I've never heard of building materials wearing like that.  Interesting.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: January 28, 2013, 12:33:02 pm »

The wood template has a default [COLDDAM_POINT:9900], so any biome that manages to drop to -68oF will cause wood to take damage. (Of course the only biomes that will ever get this cold are freezing ones and very, very, rarely cold ones unless you have a crazily temperature modded advanced world gen).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: January 28, 2013, 01:04:24 pm »

Can anyone tell me why all my dwarves started dying at 50? It didn't say why. I had about 160 plants and made a decent amount of easy meals.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: January 28, 2013, 02:02:02 pm »

Are you using a mod?  I've never heard of building materials wearing like that.  Interesting.

It is modded, but the only relevant bit is the sawmill I think.  I was making wooden blocks with it from logs, and was building with those blocks.  I was under the impression that blocks used to build things were indestructible, but apparently that only matters for actual constructions like walls and floors.  Lesson learned.

The wood template has a default [COLDDAM_POINT:9900], so any biome that manages to drop to -68oF will cause wood to take damage. (Of course the only biomes that will ever get this cold are freezing ones and very, very, rarely cold ones unless you have a crazily temperature modded advanced world gen).

Ah, thanks, now that makes sense.  This is the problem with the wiki, sometimes it explains things like this and sometimes it doesn't.  In this case, it just says that cloth and wooden items wear out in freezing biomes but doesn't say it's because of the actual temperature.  I was thinking it was something special about the tiles in the biome.

This is a bit puzzling though, since I don't think the workshops were anywhere near the freezing biome area and the murky pools nearby weren't frozen.  I certainly don't expect it to have gotten that cold nearby.

Still, this is the only explanation that makes sense.  I'll have to take more care.

Can anyone tell me why all my dwarves started dying at 50? It didn't say why. I had about 160 plants and made a decent amount of easy meals.

Dying at 50?  You mean when they turn 50 years old?  That's well below their death by old age point, so that shouldn't be it unless you're playing a mod.

If they died near someone it should give you an announcement on what the cause of their death was.  If you missed this, you should be able to see it in the announcements screen (hit 'a'), or if it doesn't show up there because it happened too long ago, you can check the game log in your dwarf fortress directory.  Sifting through it could be time consuming though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: January 28, 2013, 06:38:54 pm »

Sorry, I meant dying when I have 50 of them.

I couldn't find anything saying why they died. It was after they apparently started gathering stuff from outside, I guess to eat, I dunno. Over and over again it just said that they were interrupted by corpses while doing anything.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: January 29, 2013, 12:39:03 am »

Sounds like you did one of two things!
1)Embarked in an evil area! These show up as purple, or occasionally a very dark red/brown color on the embark screen.
2)Embarked near a tower, in which case you can be visited by necromancers. This can be checked at embark by hitting TAB until it shows the civilizations that can access your fort. If it says "Tower", then you are near a tower.

Regardless of the reason it means that things that should be dead are coming back to life and are hungry for dwarven life (or anything living really). If this is due to an evil biome you might want to consider abandoning and picking a different site, since even experienced players can find evil biomes a challenge. If it is just due to a necromancer then that means that somewhere on your map is a necromancer hiding invisibly. Batten down all of the hatches and set up some traps, or if you have a military you might want to consider implementing them (depending upon the number of undead creatures).

If you aren't sure if you did number 1 or 2, the easiest way is to make a backup of your fortress's save, abandon, and then go to the reclaim menu. You can then check to see if it is an evil biome or if you are just near to a tower (or both!).

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: January 29, 2013, 02:23:19 am »

Any way to stop Threshers/Plant-processors from auto spamming the Farmers Workshops with the Process plant/Barrel task? If any dwarf has plant-processor as active labor he will auto generate tasks at all farmer workshops to process sweet pods into syrup. This halts milk and cheese tasks and wastes sweet pods needed for booze.

EDIT: Sorted itself out with a save/reload. Must have been a glitch or whatever.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:37:44 am by Crazy Horse »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: January 29, 2013, 02:33:15 am »

Any way to stop Threshers/Plant-processors from auto spamming the Farmers Workshops with the Process plant/Barrel task? If any dwarf has plant-processor as active labor he will auto generate tasks at all farmer workshops to process sweet pods into syrup. This halts milk and cheese tasks and wastes sweet pods needed for booze. Cooks are bugged to never use syrup anyway.

I'd like a thresher active to make pigtails into thread for mass bag production but it wrecks too much other stuff to have one active. Can't find any relevant commands in Workshop orders to stop auto tasks for Farmershops.
Farmer's workshops don't have any auto-queuing tasks. If they're there, it's because you set them.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: January 29, 2013, 02:50:43 am »

Did you accidentally assign anything via the manager (j-m)? That could explain your problem.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: January 29, 2013, 03:02:25 am »

Yes, face has now met palm. Create wooden barrel 30 is not quite the same as process plant/barrel 30. I've fired my manager because it can't possibly be my fault.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: January 29, 2013, 05:35:18 am »

Yes, face has now met palm. Create wooden barrel 30 is not quite the same as process plant/barrel 30. I've fired my manager because it can't possibly be my fault.

had to laugh so hard at this
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: January 29, 2013, 05:45:39 am »

Good Overseer. Best tyrant.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 422