Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879995 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3870 on: January 25, 2013, 05:51:32 pm »

So do statues placed in the fortress decrease the chance of a dwarf going insane?
Dwarves will admire statues they walk past, which will increase their happiness.

Auroness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: January 25, 2013, 06:54:45 pm »

Is there anything that can be done with a dwarf infected with werebeast? They don't attack their own kind, so I thought my other dwarfs would be okay, just the elves, bunnies and llamas to worry about.  My military goes after the werelizard, kills it, and next month 3 or 4 of them turn into werelizards, killing a bunch more dwarfs. Naturally, when it turns back into a dwarf, they share a drink, and go about business. Rinse and repeat next full moon. Temper tantrums ensue and much FUN was had.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: January 25, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »

How do I protect myself from a thief? Do I need to create a squad or something?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:45 pm »

The easiest way to protect yourself from a thief is to simply create a series of 1x1 pastures across your entrance such that anybody walking in or out has to walk either through or next to one of the pastures (for example a 3-wide entrance needs just 1 pasture in the middle, or two on either side). Then assign any non-grazing animal that you don't care to much about to that pasture (immigrant pets work great for this). Any thieves trying to steal from your fortress will have to walk past the pet, which will spot them and cause them to run off. This same system can also work great for keeping away sneaking necromancers, and giving you a slightly early warning about ambushes.

Is there anything that can be done with a dwarf infected with werebeast? They don't attack their own kind, so I thought my other dwarfs would be okay, just the elves, bunnies and llamas to worry about.  My military goes after the werelizard, kills it, and next month 3 or 4 of them turn into werelizards, killing a bunch more dwarfs. Naturally, when it turns back into a dwarf, they share a drink, and go about business. Rinse and repeat next full moon. Temper tantrums ensue and much FUN was had.
Lock any infected dwarves up in their rooms while they aren't transformed and leave them there, or station them under a bridge and atomsmash them. Alternatively you could infect your entire fort, in which case there shouldn't be any more dwarven deaths. And a fully were'd military is a powerful thing, since no matter how injured they are they will always be fully healed after they transform.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:06:46 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: January 25, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »

When a cave-in occurs, are only buildings directly underneath destroyed, or does the explosive dust do that too?

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: January 25, 2013, 10:17:42 pm »

The easiest way to protect yourself from a thief is to simply create a series of 1x1 pastures across your entrance such that anybody walking in or out has to walk either through or next to one of the pastures (for example a 3-wide entrance needs just 1 pasture in the middle, or two on either side). Then assign any non-grazing animal that you don't care to much about to that pasture (immigrant pets work great for this). Any thieves trying to steal from your fortress will have to walk past the pet, which will spot them and cause them to run off. This same system can also work great for keeping away sneaking necromancers, and giving you a slightly early warning about ambushes.

Now that he's in my fortress, what should I do about him? I just wanna get all the dwarves to attack him. Thank you very much.
edit: I'm just gonna follow the military quickstart guide.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:27:16 pm by Foxhound »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: January 25, 2013, 10:58:00 pm »

Now that he's in my fortress, what should I do about him? I just wanna get all the dwarves to attack him. Thank you very much.
edit: I'm just gonna follow the military quickstart guide.
You shouldn't have to do anything. Once thieves have been discovered they will attempt to make a beeline for the edge of the map and get out of your fortress as fast as possible (assuming there is a way out at the time). Your dwarves will be frightened by them, but they shouldn't attack anything as long as nothing attacks them (or doesn't get out of their way quick enough, which never really happens).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: January 26, 2013, 01:03:52 am »

and thieves kind of stab hard, so to avoid casualties, just let him get out
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: January 26, 2013, 01:59:38 am »

Pasturing two Wardogs at your entrance will reveal any invisible thieves that move adjacent to the spotters. Even a Duck and a Stray Bunny on guard duty can assure you that nothing gets by without you being notified.  It's p + n + N to place some critters.
Even a kobold seems quite capable of slicing up a wardog or two but it's better then him being spotted in your food stockpile. Traps do not work on kobold thieves but they are able to snare goblin thieves.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: January 26, 2013, 07:13:13 am »

Is there a way to make multiple saves of the same game as I go along? Instead of just repeatedly saving over the same file?

Do I need a ranged weapon to kill a barn owl?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:23:07 am by Foxhound »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: January 26, 2013, 08:08:55 am »

In D_Init you can set Seasonal or Annual Autosaves, for which you can also enable "Autobackup".

Otherwise your best option is to make a copy of the relevant folder, to be found under [Game Root]\data\save (defaulting to "region1", "region2", etcetera) before loading (I periodically compress into a rar archive, whenever I've just done a huge set of designation, or created a bunch of job orders, or whatever).

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: January 26, 2013, 10:06:49 am »

Have kobolds not surviving past year 4 in world gen without modding been fixed already?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: January 26, 2013, 01:01:29 pm »

Have kobolds not surviving past year 4 in world gen without modding been fixed already?
Yeah, it was fixed a while back IIRC.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: January 26, 2013, 03:55:01 pm »

Like 50 of my dwarves died at the exact same time or almost. None of them had gone berserk or anything, I don't think. What the heck?

Also are there really only 173 z-levels or is that spoiler territory?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: January 26, 2013, 03:57:26 pm »

I guess they might have starved to death.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 422