Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879830 times)

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3810 on: January 20, 2013, 11:06:33 am »

My dwarfs suddenly refuse to carry stones to the stones stockpile with a wheelbarrow. Is that a bug?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:25 am »

My dwarfs suddenly refuse to carry stones to the stones stockpile with a wheelbarrow. Is that a bug?
No, once you've enabled wheelbarrows on a stockpile (Stone piles default to 1) then all movement to & from that stockpile use the assigned wheelbarrows (meaning a maximum of 3 hauling jobs for each of those stockpiles, but heavier items, like stone, will be hauled faster).

My current query: How do I make my dorfs remove solid food (specifically eggs & lobsters) from barrels, preferably to food stockpiles, without cooking (or waiting for them to eat) said foods? I've tried creating specific stockpiles for those goods that don't accept barrels & I've tried setting them for dumping, both with & without their barrels. After 2 weeks with no jobs assigned, they're still sitting there in those barrels, which I'd sort of like to use for booze, & I only bought those items along so I could set them not to cook. (Yes, all hauling jobs are enabled via Therapist).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:41:32 am by JAFANZ »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: January 20, 2013, 11:49:49 am »

take from stockpile?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: January 20, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »

No, once you've enabled wheelbarrows on a stockpile (Stone piles default to 1) then all movement to & from that stockpile use the assigned wheelbarrows (meaning a maximum of 3 hauling jobs for each of those stockpiles, but heavier items, like stone, will be hauled faster).

I know. What I want to say is, they don't carry stones to the stone stockpiles at all, neither with nor without a wheelbarrow.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: January 20, 2013, 12:16:13 pm »

check pathing, you might have made a mistake, or they're busy, the stone could be reserved for other stuff, it could be forbidden, or it could be so slow you havn't spotted it, they might be carrying stuff somewhere else... There is a whole lot of possibilities and with the info you give, no clue what it could be. Most likely not a bug though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: January 20, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »

take from stockpile?
Thank you, that was almost it, & inspired the idea required.

If anyone else finds this a problem the solution does require 2 stockpiles, though not a "Take from" or "Give to" order.

Step 1: Create a stockpile that accepts the desired foodstuff in barrels.
Step 2: Create a stockpile that accepts the desired foodstuff, but not barrels.
Step 3: Wait for your haulers to move the food to the 1st stockpile.
Step 4: Disable those foodstuffs on the stockpile that accepts barrels.
Step 5: Eventually your dorfs should pull the food to the no-barrels stockpile, leaving empty barrels for brewing.

(edit: added missing word)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:53:51 pm by JAFANZ »

jsulliva83

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: January 20, 2013, 01:11:22 pm »

In fortress mode, is there a command to jump the camera to a specific Z level, or to move the camera more than one Z level at once?

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:41 pm »

Is there any way to just empty a bucket?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: January 20, 2013, 01:28:17 pm »

In fortress mode, is there a command to jump the camera to a specific Z level, or to move the camera more than one Z level at once?
You can use hotkays to make the F# keys jump to a specific place.

jsulliva83

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:05 pm »

That's exactly what I needed... thanks!

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: January 20, 2013, 02:42:06 pm »

How likely do you think it is that a Brush Titan can be eventually be killed by wooden bolts?

A rampaging Brush Titan has voluntarily confined himself to my indoor miasma pit. (Some bug where he was able to chase a dwarf through a door but then not be able to destroy door to get back out again) I'm planning on carving fortifications on a side wall of the refuse room so my marksmen can practice shooting him with wooden bolts. I'm only worried that dwarves never give up a kill command so if Titan is immune to wood then they maybe they will keep firing and going for ammo untill they starve to death? I don't have any metal bolts yet and my melee dwarves all have had their legs and arms ripped off.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: January 20, 2013, 02:56:54 pm »

My military dwarves are refusing to take any of the products I've made from hunting while taking anything else I assign them. This includes eagle leather armour, giant wren bone helms and a whole load of other stuff. Unless this is some elvish trickery, what's going on?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: January 20, 2013, 02:58:12 pm »

How likely do you think it is that a Brush Titan can be eventually be killed by wooden bolts?

A rampaging Brush Titan has voluntarily confined himself to my indoor miasma pit. (Some bug where he was able to chase a dwarf through a door but then not be able to destroy door to get back out again) I'm planning on carving fortifications on a side wall of the refuse room so my marksmen can practice shooting him with wooden bolts. I'm only worried that dwarves never give up a kill command so if Titan is immune to wood then they maybe they will keep firing and going for ammo untill they starve to death? I don't have any metal bolts yet and my melee dwarves all have had their legs and arms ripped off.
You can cancel a kill order just like a station order, or just set the squad to inactive to force them to run.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: January 20, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »

Depends on what material it's made from - Titans, like Forgotten Beasts, come in a variety of flavours and materials. If it's organic (ie. doesn't mention any unusual materials in its description), then maybe. If it's stone or metal, almost certainly not. If it's made of a powder, liquid or fire (eg. salt - not rock salt! - or water, or similar), it can be killed in one hit by just about anything.

You can cancel military orders using the 'o' button in the (s)quad menu. Be careful of carving fortifications though - if this is your only path to somewhere, civilians may get spooked when they see the Titan and run away, causing cancellation spam (and potentially starvation / death depending on where they are in relation to food).

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: January 20, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »

If I buy wild strawberries from the elven caravan and brew them into strawberry wine, will i get strawberry seeds?

I'm assuming yes, but you just never know.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 422