Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879819 times)

Sugarlevi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3780 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:03 am »

Oh jeez, that cancellation stuff when danger around with the bins is indeed really annoying. I've got this continuously going in near my markdwarves slaugther pits. Those messy dwarfs, always leave tuff near it. Then one of the civilians want to grab it, but omg there is a disarmed goblin thief safely walled in behind fortifications near! Better leave all your stuff behind and run as hell!

Until there are dozens of dwarfs, clogging up the stairways and hallways in the neighbourhood, wanting to grab something but ending up running away swiftly as the wind. Only to calm down and try again. Them dorfs never learn!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: January 15, 2013, 12:54:33 pm »

Set up a set of raising bridges next to the fortifications. Then you can easily raise them to cut off line of sight when you aren't doing target practice.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:54 pm »

Does the double slit method for piercing aquifers not work as well in .34.11 as it did in .31.25?  I've tried following tutorials for the first time (never tried this in .31.25), but they don't match my experiences.  There is none of this convenient draining of the aquifer into the lower level aquifer and the current level I'm working on stays at 7/7 water in the slits after turning the pump off.

Am I just doing something wrong, or is it just necessary to put up with even more job cancellations?  I'm also not sure how to remove the final square of the aquifer if the tile doesn't drain into the lower level like it's supposed to.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: January 16, 2013, 04:12:33 pm »

Did you make sure to carve staircases into the layer below as well as your top layer while you were pumping? Also keep in mind that this method still requires you to build walls on the upper levels as you get through them to stop the aquifer from pouring out (which is also the way that you handle the bottom layer, it just takes longer because your pump must remove all of the water while you are building the walls instead of only needing to remove part of it since the other part flows downwards).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:18 pm »

Yep, I was able to follow up to that point.  So I had two layers of exposed aquifer on both sides of my staircase (layers that are below my pump).  If I had the pump running that allows me to dig that second layer of aquifer, but as soon as I turn the pump off both layers fill to 7/7.  From what the tutorials indicate, the top layer shouldn't be at 7/7 (I assume it fluctuates in the lower values).  That makes building the walls to seal it off very difficult, but not impossible.  It effectively makes every layer as difficult as the last layer, from what I'm seeing in the tutorial, which doesn't sound right.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:53 pm »

Interesting. Are you sure that your aquifer is multiple layers and any wet tile designations you are receiving aren't from the water generated by your aquifer layer? If all you have is one layer then it would indeed be rather difficult to get them to build all of the walls. Elsewise I suppose it is certainly possible that something changed over the course of the versions, though even if it had the two slit method is still useful for going down in the sense that it doesn't need a bunch of pumps or materials to accomplish.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: January 16, 2013, 04:54:13 pm »

Admittedly I don't know, that is possible.  I saw that there was damp stone, but I'm not positive I had a second layer of aquifer or just from the one above it.  I'll try again and see if I can figure it out.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: January 18, 2013, 03:33:03 am »

Are iron ores ever found in chalk?

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: January 18, 2013, 07:15:17 am »

Is it possible to set a pressure plate to trigger  in the absence of fluids covering it?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: January 18, 2013, 11:07:45 am »

Admittedly I don't know, that is possible.  I saw that there was damp stone, but I'm not positive I had a second layer of aquifer or just from the one above it.  I'll try again and see if I can figure it out.

Glad somebody else is having this problem.  As I commented on the thread about aquifers, I have the same problem.  Second aquifer layer doesn't drain into the third.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: January 18, 2013, 11:08:49 am »

Yes, it's a sedimentary stone so they can be found there.

Is it possible to set a pressure plate to trigger  in the absence of fluids covering it?
Set the pressure plate to only trigger on maximum 0/7 fluids with a minimum of 0/7 fluids. Alternatively set it to trigger on any fluids and then run the signal through one of the various NOT gates that people have come up with (search "logic" on the wiki and pick the type of logic you would like to use).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: January 18, 2013, 06:40:31 pm »

the wiki is your friend:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Chalk
linked through to the ores/gem page:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Sedimentary_layer

looking on a bit it says ANY sedimentary layer like chalk (and others) can contain limonite, hematite and magnetite among things. Those are the three iron containing ores.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: January 18, 2013, 08:04:50 pm »

Thanks Garath. I read through that pretty thoroughly before posting; the one thing that raised my eyebrow is the bit about some ores being found among some rocks and not others, even within a stone layer.

Have now mined out all z-levels of sedimentary. More chalk than I know what do with but not one single ore.

Embark said shallow and deep metals. Guess this will learn me to trust the site finder?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: January 18, 2013, 09:58:30 pm »

Well, it makes no guarantees on how much ore you'll find.  Deep metals just means that there is at least 1 vein of at least 2 metals "deep" down.  I don't think it has to be more than 1 tile to qualify, but the map generator may make better guarantees.

Keep digging, it's around somewhere.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: January 19, 2013, 02:52:03 am »

Thanks Garath. I read through that pretty thoroughly before posting; the one thing that raised my eyebrow is the bit about some ores being found among some rocks and not others, even within a stone layer.

Have now mined out all z-levels of sedimentary. More chalk than I know what do with but not one single ore.

Embark said shallow and deep metals. Guess this will learn me to trust the site finder?

always trust the site-finder :D

On the other hand, importing iron either through caravans or goblins and melting it down is much easier than doing the same with flux, so you can get quite a decent steel industry going
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 422