Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879781 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3645 on: December 23, 2012, 04:32:09 am »

iirc you kan further view engravings with (k) (enter) (enter)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: December 23, 2012, 06:31:41 am »

In d_init.txt, set [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO] . No re-gen required.
That option's for switching between engravings with symbols and engravings with just the 'engraved' colour scheme.
Whoops, you're right. What you want is [SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:YES] .
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: December 23, 2012, 06:54:45 am »

How do pits work? I've never really been able to figure them out. I know you assign things to them and they get thrown in, but what's this about hostile creatures just running away before they're pitted? If I try to pit a goblin from a cage, what will happen?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: December 23, 2012, 09:24:41 pm »

I have a number of caged animals in my stockpiles, but they do not show up in the list of pasturable animals.  Any ideas?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:28 pm »

Well the first question is: are they tame/trained?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: December 24, 2012, 06:49:42 am »

the second question is: what kind of animals and where did you get them
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: December 24, 2012, 11:08:35 am »

How do pits work? I've never really been able to figure them out. I know you assign things to them and they get thrown in, but what's this about hostile creatures just running away before they're pitted? If I try to pit a goblin from a cage, what will happen?
It depends on your pitting setup.  If they have no space/tile to move into after being removed from the cage, generally they can be pitted without too much trouble.  Removing all their weapons/armor prior to being exposed to potential freedom is a good idea.

Using the designs in the wiki (during the past year) I was able to somewhat reliably pit goblins that had been captured in cage traps.

In the end, though, for the sake of speed and safety, I started making cages out of wood, and then just dropping the whole cage into magma, creature included.  No risk, then, and no need for standby military, either.  Wood being an infinite resource, this worked out pretty well, for me.  As always, YMMV.

Flying creatures will just fly away immediately after you pit them.  Even if you put a hatch over the pit, they will just hover beneath the hatch indefinitely (geese are particularly adept at this).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: December 24, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »

I have a number of caged animals in my stockpiles, but they do not show up in the list of pasturable animals.  Any ideas?
You didn't buy them fairly from a caravan and all the pack animals from that caravan haven't left the map yet?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: December 24, 2012, 02:04:43 pm »

Do single bolts get re-stacked?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: December 24, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »

Trying to bring some caged goblins to a pit for the purposes of training. I designated the room as a pit, added the caged goblins, but I'm just getting a bunch of spam saying the job is interrupted: inappropriate building. What gives?

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: December 24, 2012, 02:26:32 pm »

You didn't buy them fairly from a caravan and all the pack animals from that caravan haven't left the map yet?

I got them from a caravan that was destroyed in an ambush. 

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: December 24, 2012, 02:41:53 pm »

Has anyone successfully domesticated a race of animals? If so, just how many animals do you need to train/domesticate for your fort to reach "Domesticated" in the Overall Training page?

I've trained/domesticated several hundred ravens in my fort and I'm still only an expert, so I'm wondering just how long it'll take to domesticate those damn birds.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: December 24, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »

After a pretty bloody siege, some migrants showed up. They're refusing to entire my fort and are instead milling around its exterior. What gives?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: December 24, 2012, 03:10:46 pm »

Has anyone successfully domesticated a race of animals? If so, just how many animals do you need to train/domesticate for your fort to reach "Domesticated" in the Overall Training page?

I've trained/domesticated several hundred ravens in my fort and I'm still only an expert, so I'm wondering just how long it'll take to domesticate those damn birds.

long. I havn't actually heard of it yet, but I don't see all threads

Do single bolts get re-stacked?
no, but they can pick multiple single bolts and shoot them again. single metal bolts can also be smelted
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:53:07 am by Garath »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: December 24, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

I got them from a caravan that was destroyed in an ambush.
Are there are any units listed as merchants left on the map? I'm not sure whether it's based on the presence of the animals or the guards (one of each fell into a dry moat and stayed there until I shot the melancholic yak), but it's not the merchants.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 422