Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879847 times)

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3585 on: December 17, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »

Viewing depot accessibility shows that the downward ramps created by my initial channeling are inaccessible. Do wagons require headroom to descend a ramp?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: December 17, 2012, 09:36:36 pm »

No. 2 questions though:
1)Are you sure the ramps are useable? You haven't dug behind them or anything?
2)Your hallway is 3 wide right? And there isn't anything else that could be causing this problem (such as boulders or some other object)?

Also this picture probably sums up ramp/stairs the best.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: December 17, 2012, 11:01:36 pm »

Stonesense is nice to spot ramp/Depot mistakes.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: December 18, 2012, 01:57:33 pm »

What's the bit in the raws for a creature that determines if it can be butchered or not?

There are opossum corpses laying in my stockpile, and I want to know if I should leave them, or set them to be dumped by minecart.
And find out which other things need to be.

Why minecarts? The route was a test, and it keeps things nice and tidy by clearing up dead things.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: December 18, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »

Butchering is determined by ethics and by size. Corpses or body parts that are too small will never be butchered, and dwarven ethics forbid the butchering of all sentients. Opossums are on the small side, and some of the corpses may be too small for your butcher to bother with.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: December 18, 2012, 02:19:23 pm »

So, what determines that for default dwarves?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: December 18, 2012, 02:50:53 pm »

The [BODY_SIZE:X:X:X] token on the respective creature is the main thing that determines it. There is also the [ETHICS:XXX] of the dwarven entity for dealing with butchered sapients, and then the NOT_BUTCHERABLE token.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: December 18, 2012, 08:57:20 pm »

Is there any bug with fb corpses or do some of them count as sentients? Unlike other animals they are not butchered (when already down to skeleton), if butchered immediately the bones are not stored in the bone stockpile despite clear settings that work for everything else. And why are forgotten beast bone products worth about nothing - when for normal animals the more exotic or dangerous the animal the higher the material modifiers?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: December 19, 2012, 03:47:44 am »

Is there any bug with fb corpses or do some of them count as sentients? Unlike other animals they are not butchered (when already down to skeleton), if butchered immediately the bones are not stored in the bone stockpile despite clear settings that work for everything else. And why are forgotten beast bone products worth about nothing - when for normal animals the more exotic or dangerous the animal the higher the material modifiers?

Some FBs and titans are inorganic and cannot be butchered. Organic ones get butchered fine, same thing with MBs. It makes sense: Dragon = tasty, Bronze Colossus = ouch, my teeth!
FB and titan bones are never worth much, probably because they are procedurally generated and don't have fixed values like anything that is predefined in the raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: December 19, 2012, 06:58:12 am »

the value thing is indeed true and also counts for silk from web shooters
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: December 19, 2012, 09:26:29 am »

Thanks. I would love to be able to build (or even smelt) solid fb corpses (glass, chromite, sphalerite etc.) however. Don't have to be valuable then but would at least look nice.

Still I don't understand why fb bones/shells etc. don't go with all the other bones/shells to the normal bones/shells stockpiles.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: December 19, 2012, 06:40:19 pm »

Still I don't understand why fb bones/shells etc. don't go with all the other bones/shells to the normal bones/shells stockpiles.

That I don't know. They should and I haven't had that problem. Is it a just bones/shell stockpile or a general refuse pile?

Mitre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:13 pm »

Is it strange to have Caverns generate on level 95?

I haven't even breached Stone yet, and suddenly CAVERNS.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: December 20, 2012, 06:30:19 am »

That I don't know. They should and I haven't had that problem. Is it a just bones/shell stockpile or a general refuse pile?

same here. Had the problem with feathers and scales and such though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

PuLP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: December 20, 2012, 09:48:00 am »

Hello, i'm new on DF and have some problems i can't resolve  :P

About Strange Mood,

In a previous game i had one Dwarf working on bowyer's workshop with strange mood, did save and left the game, later after reloading my game, the dwarf was in No Job state and he died later
In my current game a child went in this mood and did overtake a workshop, but finaly he did build nothing and left the workshop, he died later
I have another Dwarf being in strange mood, but had to save and leave the game, now after reloading he is currently in No Job, he don't seems to move and won't eat/drink, will probably die soon..

So i am wondering if it is normal they do die so often ? Did i miss something important ?  Is there a bug when having a dwarf in strange mood, saving game, reloading game later and mood disapear but dwarf remain stuck ?
Is there a menu somewhere who display what is the dwarf needs about his strange mood ? Because when i go in unit list and select him (my current stuck dwarf) it show nothing special, and viewcrew  doesn't talk about it, he is just miserable.

Other question,

i have a lot of meat who are lying on the floor in my large food stockpile, wondering if they can rotten there? i have a ton of empty barrels in my furniture stockpile, why dwarfs don't take more barrels to food stockpile ? (food stockpile is set to max barrels and furnitures are set on 0 barrel)
It is only "Wren" meats who are on the floor, it's a bug maybe ? wren meat might don't belong to barrels storage like other meats?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:51:43 am by PuLP »
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 422