Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879902 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3570 on: December 16, 2012, 02:53:59 pm »

How do I stop the birds attacking children?

Do you mean their children or dwarf children?
In the first case, make a bigger pasture or divide the animals over several smaller pastures. Animals that are in too small pastures will start to fight each other.
For the second case you'd have to elaborate on what's going on. Tame animals are only aggressive when they are too crowded.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: December 16, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »

How do I stop the birds attacking children?

Do you mean their children or dwarf children?
In the first case, make a bigger pasture or divide the animals over several smaller pastures. Animals that are in too small pastures will start to fight each other.
For the second case you'd have to elaborate on what's going on. Tame animals are only aggressive when they are too crowded.

Dwarf children, in the meeting zone. I have like 30 children due to migrants bringing their useless spawn with them.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: December 16, 2012, 03:21:15 pm »

Dwarf children, in the meeting zone. I have like 30 children due to migrants bringing their useless spawn with them.

Well, then pasture the birds, in a room away from the meeting zone. As I said tame animals can become aggressive if it's too crowded. I never keep animals in the meeting zone. Also put nestboxes into the bird's pasture, so you can get eggs.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: December 16, 2012, 03:22:32 pm »

Well, then pasture the birds, in a room away from the meeting zone. As I said tame animals can become aggressive if it's too crowded. I never keep animals in the meeting zone. Also put nestboxes into the bird's pasture, so you can get eggs.

I tried that, they wandered off back to the meeting zone to savage more children.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: December 16, 2012, 03:26:37 pm »

I tried that, they wandered off back to the meeting zone to savage more children.

This should not happen. Did you assign them to the pasture? Are they tame or did you tame them (and they revert back to wild)?
Normally if they leave the pasture, a dwarf will put them back immediately. Also you can put the pasture into a room with a door and set the door to "keep tightly closed". This will make the door impassable for animals.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: December 16, 2012, 04:39:59 pm »

This should not happen. Did you assign them to the pasture? Are they tame or did you tame them (and they revert back to wild)?
Normally if they leave the pasture, a dwarf will put them back immediately. Also you can put the pasture into a room with a door and set the door to "keep tightly closed". This will make the door impassable for animals.

Tame when acquired from the caravans.

It seems to have stopped now I've segregated them AWAY from the meeting zone, away from temptation.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: December 16, 2012, 04:45:15 pm »

It seems to have stopped now I've segregated them AWAY from the meeting zone, away from temptation.

It was the crowding then.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: December 17, 2012, 08:40:40 am »

wells are automatically set as water source I think. The water source zone is for open water, so a pond or river.
Wells aren't water sources, they're wells. The building and the zone are separate from each other. You should be able to set a water source over an open space with water directly beneath, and since wells don't block open space they don't affect the creation of water source zones.

Are you extending the zone to include floor tiles? You need to do that.

from the wiki:
Water Source
Shortcut w
Dwarves will draw water from this zone to satisfy their thirst, to tend to another thirsty dwarf, or to fill a Pond zone.

Only tiles adjacent to water qualify as usable water sources - thus, if you want to place a single-tile zone, place the zone onto a ground tile next to the water, not over the water itself.

This zone should not be used with wells - they are already their own type of water source

my reasoning may have been wrong, but my answer was still right. Wells can't be designated as water source and they already count as one
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: December 17, 2012, 08:53:55 am »

Wells can't be designated as water source and they already count as one

Not sure what that means in this context, but: I had a tame gremlin in a fort. He never drank from the well, always from the river. I designated a water source zone that included the well and a few tiles around it, but the only access to water was through the well or through grates. Since then he used the well, and I'm sure he actually used the well, not the grates, because I started having "water (9)" show up in the stocks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:55:50 am by XXSockXX »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: December 17, 2012, 03:45:06 pm »

With minecarts, does crap on the line interrupt them at all?

Crap being rocks, vermin, etc.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: December 17, 2012, 03:46:18 pm »

Rocks and vermin and things that don't block pathing are fine.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: December 17, 2012, 06:26:22 pm »

My last few forts have been mined out of open ground; that is, I channel my way underground as opposed to mining into a cliff face. In each of these forts, my trade depot is inaccessible to caravan wagons. What gives?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: December 17, 2012, 07:16:04 pm »

Wagons cannot pull a hovering U turn across Z levels. 

The below Z level, has to leave the ramp in another direction, other than the top Z level.

This is how I do it.  I build all my fortresses like that, ya know out in the open.  Except I dig downward 3x3 staircases, then I build right over-top them at some point, up/down staircases, so that main corridor can keep going up and up and up. 

I got 4 Depots, one on surface, and 3 Depots in each respective cavern.  Ramps give me the heebeegeebees, too, so I try to limit my use of them.  Happy Holidays, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: December 17, 2012, 07:22:48 pm »

But the design of my fort does not require the wagons to perform a u-turn; the entrance corridor continues in the same direction as the ramps leading down from the surface z-level. Bah--I'm just not grasping ramps, I guess.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: December 17, 2012, 07:36:03 pm »

If they are not in the same sloping direction, they sometimes fail, too.  Anotherwards, if your going down from one cardinal direction, then shift to another cardinal direction, to go down even further, without a landing in between, their pathing fails. 

Keep hitting D, to check, it'll eventually work out.  Sure its not a tree or boulder?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 422