Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881896 times)

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3465 on: December 08, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »

When vermin steal food, do they steal a whole stack, or just one item at a time? I would hate to see 260 dragon meat roasts disappear.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: December 08, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »

I believe they just nibble it away one at a time. If you have a cat your food should be fairly safe though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: December 09, 2012, 09:54:34 am »

Is it possible to create quantumhttp://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked weapon? Like, you know, 73 tons golden maul?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Beenoc

• Bay Watcher
  • To live, one must first be born.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: December 09, 2012, 10:04:13 am »

Is it possible to create quantumhttp://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked weapon? Like, you know, 73 tons golden maul?
If you're very lucky. The way to create quantum artifacts is you make a burrow that envelops all your stockpiles, but none of your workshops. When you get a mood, put mood dwarf in burrow. If the mood is a weapon, then quantum weapons of mass destruction.
This is a dwarf. It is decorated with dwarfiness and menaces with spikes of Brit. Engraved on the dwarf is an image of a dwarf digging a hole. This relates to the digging of a hole by Honeydew the dwarf in 2011.

I was the deceased vessel through which dark magick was done and Necrothreat III was created from the ruins of my old forum posts: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118805.0

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: December 09, 2012, 11:05:13 am »

It won't be any better than a regular artifact gold maul, though.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: December 09, 2012, 02:40:01 pm »

Heavier is better for hammer-type weapons. That's why adamantine hammers are bad.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: December 09, 2012, 04:18:32 pm »

Accidentally walled up my fort while the dwarven liason was still there. He snapped, I had to kill him. What's gonna happen to me next fall?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: December 09, 2012, 04:26:38 pm »

Heavier is better for hammer-type weapons. That's why adamantine hammers are bad.
Yes but decorations don't add any noticeable amount of weight to objects. You could have an adamantine hammer with thousands of lead and gold decorations on it and it still wouldn't weigh any more then a normal adamantine hammer.

So the answer is yes, you could do it, but it wouldn't have any advantages over a weapon with the same base material.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: December 09, 2012, 06:41:28 pm »

All right. I thought that decoration weight would be proportional to number of decorations, which would have meant that this bug could be weaponized... Oh well.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: December 09, 2012, 09:20:50 pm »

If the decoration doesn't add to weight then for an adventurer, a planepacked artefact would represent the best value-per-weight, allowing for advantageous trades. This could be handy if there were every anything worth buying in the game (that you couldn't already borrow off of goblins).

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: December 09, 2012, 11:22:25 pm »

But planepacked sculptures are made of dwarfloads of "base" material, isn't it possible to make a hammer from every bar of metal in your fortress? Or will it automatically go into decorations?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: December 09, 2012, 11:42:46 pm »

Or will it automatically go into decorations?

This.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: December 09, 2012, 11:54:04 pm »

But planepacked sculptures are made of dwarfloads of "base" material, isn't it possible to make a hammer from every bar of metal in your fortress? Or will it automatically go into decorations?
Only the very first used piece of material in the first item of the gathering list is actually used as a "base" material. All further materials gathered (even if they are more of the first item on the list), become decorations.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: December 10, 2012, 02:51:16 pm »

Accidentally walled up my fort while the dwarven liason was still there. He snapped, I had to kill him. What's gonna happen to me next fall?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: December 10, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »

Nothing to worry about, there will be a caravan and there will be a new liason.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 422