Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881849 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3450 on: December 04, 2012, 06:27:41 am »

I haven't had much success with toys.  So I employ um.  I turn labor on in Therapist, and give them mining or engraving.  That'll keep um safe.  Be sure to disable their hauling, or they will go outside to pickup wood and get snatched up.  The ones that look like good soldiers, I give pumping.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: December 06, 2012, 03:04:18 am »

Is there a way to move artifact large gems?
I have had this problem several times: If an artifact gem is produced in my starting fort it will remain there when I move everything to the actual fort later, due to the bug where large gems and gem crafts are not moved to any stockpile. I usually end up walling them in, so they can't get stolen.
I know I can move large gems with DFhack's autodump, but since artifacts can't be dumped this does not work here.

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: December 06, 2012, 09:31:50 am »

I embarked on a 5x5 area containing two biomes. One of them is sinister. I get Infernal Murk clouds but normal weather and have lots of staring eyeballs etc. What I don't know is if the dead in the evil biome actually reanimate and what the clouds do. Any way to test if the evil biome reanimates? So far no wildlife spawned as part of the evil biome and secondly the clouds apparently do nothing but that would be a first time for me. Is it just some syndrome that "takes it time" to hit full effect?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:12 am »

I embarked on a 5x5 area containing two biomes. One of them is sinister. I get Infernal Murk clouds but normal weather and have lots of staring eyeballs etc. What I don't know is if the dead in the evil biome actually reanimate and what the clouds do. Any way to test if the evil biome reanimates? So far no wildlife spawned as part of the evil biome and secondly the clouds apparently do nothing but that would be a first time for me. Is it just some syndrome that "takes it time" to hit full effect?
Trap some animals in an area in the evil area and let them get hit by one of the clouds. See if they then develop any syndromes. IF they don't appear to develop any then test it on a dwarf.

As for the reanimation, just dump a dead animal corpse into a pit on the edge of the evil biome and wait a month or so. If it comes back then the biome reanimates, if it stays dead then it doesn't.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: December 07, 2012, 12:05:23 am »

I have had this problem several times: If an artifact gem is produced in my starting fort it will remain there when I move everything to the actual fort later, due to the bug where large gems and gem crafts are not moved to any stockpile. I usually end up walling them in, so they can't get stolen.
I know I can move large gems with DFhack's autodump, but since artifacts can't be dumped this does not work here.
I haven't had much luck moving them either.  They don't appear to be getting hauled to their stockpile, finished goods, in my fortresses.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: December 07, 2012, 01:55:37 am »

Maybe you could do something with a workshop that requires a large gem to build and takes artifacts? Without a display case mod you'd have to add a gem requirement to the screw press or soapmaker's, but you can do this without your suddenly gemless workshops deconstructing when you make the temporary change.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: December 07, 2012, 06:32:58 am »

Maybe you could do something with a workshop that requires a large gem to build and takes artifacts? Without a display case mod you'd have to add a gem requirement to the screw press or soapmaker's, but you can do this without your suddenly gemless workshops deconstructing when you make the temporary change.

I was kinda hoping to avoid modding since it is just a cosmetic issue and probably not worth the effort, but this looks like it could work, maybe I'll look into that. Thanks!

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: December 07, 2012, 03:55:40 pm »

So my fortress is in a split evil/savage embark and near a necromancer tower. It is the first time I build a fortress near a tower so I didn't know exactly what to expect. Now it seems I got ambushed by a necromancer, because I can't see him and around 20 zombie mussels attacked my dwarfs. So far I have no real military, just a slightly trained axedwarf of the starting seven. Some zombie yak hair or zombie mussels are no real threat, my soldier has 45 kills now and is already a talented fighter and axedwarf now but first off, this ambush happened at the same time my first caravan arrived, one of the wagons "died" and except for the outpost liason and one sturdy hammerdwarf the rest of the caravan turned 180 degrees and went home. So is this necromancer going to go away after some time? Because I got some zombies now sitting on my farmplots and while I have a big supply (around 300 roasts and 150 drinks) it is a bit annoying right now.

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: December 07, 2012, 04:14:29 pm »

That doesn't sound like a necromancer to me - they usually come with an assortment of elf, dwarf and human corpses reanimated as zombies. That sounds more like you have a reanimating effect on the evil side of your embark, which can be a lot more fun than the necros... Enjoy!

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: December 07, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »

That doesn't sound like a necromancer to me - they usually come with an assortment of elf, dwarf and human corpses reanimated as zombies. That sounds more like you have a reanimating effect on the evil side of your embark, which can be a lot more fun than the necros... Enjoy!
It is definitely not an effect of the evil biome because I already tested if it reanimates and the reanimated dead weren't in the evil biome when they came back to life. According to the wiki it is a necromancer ambush (not a siege) and he doesn't bring zombies with him but reanimates the dead on the map. But will he go away in time?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: December 08, 2012, 12:04:42 am »

Goblin ambushers and siegers will give up eventually and leave, but I've never had a necromancer amusher so I don't know if they follow the same rules.  A cage trap network might be an effective way of capturing him if you have an idea of where he might be hanging out.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: December 08, 2012, 04:51:37 am »

Typical Tower(undead) neighbor siege, by the sounds of it.  Not evil terrain entities.

I turn secrets off in advanced world gen for Fortress play.  It is a must.  That is for Adventure play.  If you really want a no win situation, pick a Tower neighbor whose at war with your civilization.  Ya won't have to wait long for the FUN to arrive.

Limiting embark choices and avoiding Tower neighbors is just too cumbersome to cope with for me.  So I disable Secrets.  I also disable CSI:Armok.  One way to make certain its a Tower siege is to observe the undead behavior. 

Do the undead, sprint faster than a cheetah on a 5hr energy drink?

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: December 08, 2012, 10:21:26 am »

Is there a good way to capture goblin thieves alive?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: December 08, 2012, 10:25:27 am »

Is there a good way to capture goblin thieves alive?

Cage traps.

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: December 08, 2012, 12:46:19 pm »

Okay, it is indeed a necromancer causing all the mussels to reanimate. And since it is no normal siege (I guess if it was a normal siege he would have brought some zombies along) does she leave or do I have a permanent resident now? Oh and I looked her up in LegendsViewer. She is a 300 years old dwarven necromancer who was the General of one of the other civs for some 80 years right at the dawn of time. And she wrote some pretty darn good books: "The Caverns: The Definitive Guide", "The Unholy Dwarves" or another one "The Fortress: The Truth". Seems to me she knows what is going on in many forts :D
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 422