Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881604 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3300 on: November 05, 2012, 05:19:08 am »

Will above-ground trees (here: feather trees) grow in an area that has been channelled out, exposed to sunlight and subsequently floored over, just as above-ground crops do?
Or, would they still grow in an area that has always been above-ground if I put a ceiling over it?

As long as there're soil layer under it, it should grows if there're light. I've only noticed aboveground trees stopping growing when the layer under them are mined out, or much much lower frequency.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: November 05, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »

I would like to point out that trees will also slow down their growth once the density of the trees reaches a certain point IIRC (so if you clearcut an area trees will have a higher chance of growing there then if it is fully filled up).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: November 05, 2012, 01:02:01 pm »

I think it depends on where the subregions intersect, the good/neutral/evil.  When there is a divided embark, pretty sure it stays divided, cept for an aligned wandering vermin.  With that said, I believe the nonaligned terrain type fauna does mix.  *scratchhead*  Good question.  Feather is a good aligned tree, isn't it?  It's not a terrain type tree, like say rubber. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: November 05, 2012, 01:03:53 pm »

I think it depends on where the subregions intersect, the good/neutral/evil.  When there is a divided embark, pretty sure it stays divided, cept for an aligned wandering vermin.  With that said, I believe the nonaligned terrain type fauna does mix.  *scratchhead*  Good question.  Feather is a good aligned tree, isn't it?  It's not a terrain type tree, like say rubber.
Agreed. As a good aligned tree feather trees will only grow in the good aligned part of your embark, and will not be able to grow in other areas of the embark.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:32 pm »

Is it possible to get invaders in the caverns even if you haven't breached the caverns yet? I ask because I am currently in a *SIEGE*, even though I routed all enemies on the surface.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: November 05, 2012, 08:15:00 pm »

Is it possible to get invaders in the caverns even if you haven't breached the caverns yet? I ask because I am currently in a *SIEGE*, even though I routed all enemies on the surface.

Shouldn't be, it's either a bug with one of the units not leaving properly or your game saved in mid-fall for one of them. I believe there're an utility to fix it if you can't find any enemies sticking around in the u list.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:36 pm »

Shouldn't be, it's either a bug with one of the units not leaving properly or your game saved in mid-fall for one of them. I believe there're an utility to fix it if you can't find any enemies sticking around in the u list.

Do you know the name of the utility, or is it part of DFhack?
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: November 05, 2012, 08:22:26 pm »

If it exists then it's probably part of DFHack. Last I knew this was one of the few things that DFHack couldn't do though, but it might be worth checking out the forum thread anyways.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: November 05, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »

If it exists then it's probably part of DFHack. Last I knew this was one of the few things that DFHack couldn't do though, but it might be worth checking out the forum thread anyways.
I does remember there being a roundabout fix by reviving an enemy and re-killing them, or toggling some bits relating to falling and death statues. But that could've been my memory from far back as 40d!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: November 05, 2012, 10:38:59 pm »

Sometimes a Cave will connect the surface with cavern one.  Is one of these on your map?  They sometimes have nasty entities in them, giant type entities.  If that entity has been removed and a clear path exists, sure a SIEGE will try to get in that way, if it leads to a killable dwarf.

What sometimes keeps the SIEGE flag is a fleeing Goblin caught in an inescapable situation.  Like one trapped inside a bridge, or inside a Goblin grinder hatch.  Sometimes the SIEGE entities never make it onto the region, to get slaughtered, by a similar bug as the migrant plug.  This sometimes happens if their entrance onto the region is too steep, or blocked by another stubbornly unmoving entity. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: November 06, 2012, 04:08:11 am »

Agreed. As a good aligned tree feather trees will only grow in the good aligned part of your embark, and will not be able to grow in other areas of the embark.
So they will also grow in a former underground area (after being channelled out and exposed to sunlight), because the good alignment extends over all z-levels?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:19:15 am by Uggh »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20:45 am »

So they will also grow in a former underground area (after being channelled out and exposed to sunlight), because the good alignment extends over all z-levels?
Assuming it is dirt there, yeah.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:18 pm »

Q:  Anyone follow a vermin trapper set on repeat task, lately?  I've got what looks like a dwarf trapper running around outside my fortress with an animal trap, , waving it at a blinking blue jay.  He won't deploy it, he chases this blinking blue jay.  I've been seeing some oddities in behavior.

But I don't think this is one of them. Recently a squad of SIEGING goblins showed up, lead by an Elite Bowman.  Well anywhere this fella walked uptop, he stirred up 3-4 vermin blips.  It was like he spotting them for me to see.  The other goblin officers, Pikemaster, etc.. This didn't occur with, just that Elite Bowman and Elite Crossbowman.  They destealth vermin, rather easily.

Well, back to my question and theory.  Could this chasing the blinking vermin, improve Observation? 

I'm trying to do the necessary testing to determine this, but not having much luck isolating trappers for testing, I'm experiencing a post SIEGE clutter fuck at the moment.  See I accidentally painted 130 z-levels restricted travel, R, instead of reclaim forbidden with a Top-down, FC2FCR(far corner 2 far corner reclaim). 

Now my dorfs are all spinning in pathfinding mistakes.  Oops.  I cannot figure out if this Trapper is using the as a butterfly net or an ankle grip trap, when set to /R.  Do you know, what Toady means the to represent now a days?  Ugg.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: November 06, 2012, 03:06:52 pm »

Q:  Anyone follow a vermin trapper set on repeat task, lately?  I've got what looks like a dwarf trapper running around outside my fortress with an animal trap, , waving it at a blinking blue jay.  He won't deploy it, he chases this blinking blue jay.  I've been seeing some oddities in behavior.

But I don't think this is one of them. Recently a squad of SIEGING goblins showed up, lead by an Elite Bowman.  Well anywhere this fella walked uptop, he stirred up 3-4 vermin blips.  It was like he spotting them for me to see.  The other goblin officers, Pikemaster, etc.. This didn't occur with, just that Elite Bowman and Elite Crossbowman.  They destealth vermin, rather easily.

Well, back to my question and theory.  Could this chasing the blinking vermin, improve Observation? 

I'm trying to do the necessary testing to determine this, but not having much luck isolating trappers for testing, I'm experiencing a post SIEGE clutter fuck at the moment.  See I accidentally painted 130 z-levels restricted travel, R, instead of reclaim forbidden with a Top-down, FC2FCR(far corner 2 far corner reclaim). 

Now my dorfs are all spinning in pathfinding mistakes.  Oops.  I cannot figure out if this Trapper is using the as a butterfly net or an ankle grip trap, when set to /R.  Do you know, what Toady means the to represent now a days?  Ugg.

I used to have trapper set to repeat job of getting vermins. They're using it like butterfly net, and will run everywhere to chase any vermins that they can path to. If you build traps as building, it's like one of those no-kill mousetrap, I imagine.

Can't answer the observation question, other than it's probably concidence that it happened. Vermin clusters happens occasionally around the surface for me.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: November 06, 2012, 03:31:31 pm »

I gave up using the Kennel to tame vermin, because I run out of food!  I believe in his haste, the Great One, might have left his Kennels unfinished and sorta broken, when he proceeded to move all animal training to the activity zones. But I'm prolly wrong, dead wrong.  Dunno.

Unless I can isolate a web weaver, I haven't bothered with taming um.  Utter waste of %.  Although, is there a way to preserve vermin corpses?  I wonder.  For rations in hard times?  That'd be a nice failsafe, and we could feed um to other vermin to tame them.  That's how the taming should be, choose the very worst food, rotten and all, to tame with...  Not the good edible stuff.

Just tossing all these trapped vermin down a 20 z-level pit, seems to free back up the for further usage, but doesn't kill vermin.  Hard to kill a roach.  I placed kitten den down there, to remove the vermin in a timely fashion.  Not sure if the kitten's toughening up or not. 

The kittens at the bottom do seem to aid in reducing footfalls.  These dorfs seem to venture downwards to retrap, trapped stuff, since the AI thinks, lower is better. 
If only we could automate the unleash of vermin.  Knutor gets a daydreamy look in his eyes.  Sincerely, Knutor
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 422