Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881585 times)

Tarsius

• Bay Watcher
  • this is something that shows up below your avatar
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3285 on: October 30, 2012, 02:20:17 am »

is it possible to have a naturally-formed oasis?
if it's not possible, is there a chance to be implemented?
and this is something that shows up below your post

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: October 30, 2012, 07:30:40 am »

Something to do with the fortress guard or the royal guard, I think.
Starting up a guard has done no good; they still have the thought a year later. Confusing.

Doesn't seem to be a strong thought, though.

Is it a noble of any sort, or just a regular dwarf?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: October 30, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »

is it possible to have a naturally-formed oasis?
if it's not possible, is there a chance to be implemented?

Dunno.  Oasis, that is a murky pool in a desert biome, right? 

I'd imagine the possibility would go up some more, with a lower drainage value in Advanced World Generation. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:56 pm »

Arena mode question:
Say, I want to check the outcome of a 100v100 battle, each side is outfitted with a particular "base" gear, and each side composed of 3 sub groups. Pretty complex situation, huh? It will take some time to set it.
Say, I want to have a sample of outcomes of statistically significant size (10? 20? 100?) because RNG is a bitch. This means setting up the 100v100 multiple times. This means humongous effort.

Is it possible to tell Dwarf Fortress that I want to load D dwarves at (X,Y,Z) positions outfitted with E equipments and S sets of skills? So that testing only requires running the simulation and not setting it 100 times?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: November 01, 2012, 07:31:55 pm »

I don't think there's a built in way to do that.  However, if macros work in arena mode that would be one way to speed up the process.  You'd record the macro once setting it all up, then just replay it whenever you wanted to set up another run.

I've never used macros in DF before however, so I don't know the exact procedure.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: November 02, 2012, 07:21:26 pm »

I have two questions

first on Military Schedules:
  I am just looking for the difference between Sleep in barracks at { need / will }

second general keybinding:
  Is it possible to redefine the Keystrokes [SHIFT+Tab] and [SHIFT+Enter] and/or [CTRL+p] to be something different?

the reason is because lately I have been playing mostly via DFTerm over the Internet running tutorials for a friend wanting to learn the game, but it can't send special keystrokes, which means I can't manage the military very effectively.

Thanks for any assistance on either or both of these.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: November 03, 2012, 03:57:29 am »

Is it possible to redefine the Keystrokes [SHIFT+Tab] and [SHIFT+Enter] and/or [CTRL+p] to be something different?

Keybindings can be changed by hitting Escape and selecting the relevant option. The particular bindings in your case are in the General subsection, and are "Secondary Select", "Change tab or highlight section" (second one) and "Macro, Play" (although I guess you'll want to change the other macro bindings too).

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: November 03, 2012, 04:46:41 am »

I am just looking for the difference between Sleep in barracks at { need / will }

Sleeping at will allows them to sleep whenever they want, while sleeping at need forces them to be on duty until they really can't stay awake.

Drowsiness affects the performance of a soldier, and ordering him to only sleep when he needs it will result in very tired dwarves on patrol.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: November 03, 2012, 06:40:02 pm »

Will dwarves drink out of a minecart filled with water? I'm thinking of putting one in a cell to make sure the prisoners don't die of dehydration. 

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: November 03, 2012, 07:20:32 pm »

If I bring cave crocodile eggs on embark, and forbid them right away, will they hatch?

I really doubt they will, but fuck it. I want war cave crocodiles in my first couple years.

Nvm. I found out the answer. Poo.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:25:29 pm by armeggedonCounselor »
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: November 03, 2012, 08:15:22 pm »

Will dwarves drink out of a minecart filled with water? I'm thinking of putting one in a cell to make sure the prisoners don't die of dehydration.
Interesting idea. I'd say no, because Toady probably didn't include the possibility of a water-filled minecart in the searching-for-drink code. But then again, you can't predict the Adams brothers. If it's easy to set up for you, a bit of Science would be nice.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Connermc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: November 03, 2012, 10:46:05 pm »

Edit: Figured it out.  :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:32:31 am by Connermc »

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: November 04, 2012, 06:30:56 am »

Sleeping at will allows them to sleep whenever they want, while sleeping at need forces them to be on duty until they really can't stay awake.
Drowsiness affects the performance of a soldier, and ordering him to only sleep when he needs it will result in very tired dwarves on patrol.
  Thank you, This finally makes sense to me. I always suspected it was something important, I might see about adding this to the Military pages of the wiki.

Keybindings can be changed by hitting Escape and selecting the relevant option. The particular bindings in your case are in the General subsection, and are "Secondary Select", "Change tab or highlight section" (second one) and "Macro, Play" (although I guess you'll want to change the other macro bindings too).
   Oh wow, That is much simpler of an answer than I was expecting. And it worked perfectly.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: November 05, 2012, 01:25:35 am »

Anyone notice Hunting Dogs, lurking around the edge of their region maps in Fortress Play? 

I've got a female hunting dog, who refuses to leave the vicinity of where her master, a hunter was slain.  She is in the 3rd cavern down, just hanging by the fringe where a Cave Dragon did in her master and left I believe.  Since then a flock of Elk Birds and a posse of Blood men, have entered from there, all she seems to have survived.   She has cuts, but isn't blinking red cross yet. 

I guess she's a good look out down there in cavern three.  I just find it strange her AI seems broken.  Not sure if its the loss of master, or some target, that Cave Dragon, which left the region, but she's still hovering in stealth for another chomp.  Bin down there hovering now for 2 full years of gameplay. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:26 am »

Will above-ground trees (here: feather trees) grow in an area that has been channelled out, exposed to sunlight and subsequently floored over, just as above-ground crops do?
Or, would they still grow in an area that has always been above-ground if I put a ceiling over it?
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 422