Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881506 times)

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3225 on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:55 am »

Any advice on how to deal with annoying flooding like this? Often happens when I remove walls from ponds. I tried adding some walls with dfhack but it still floods, anyone want to tell me exactly how this works and if i can do anything about it? It freezes during winter.

Build floor tiles over the tiles labeled "Murky Pool" and then remove them.  Should destroy the property that makes them collect rain water.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: October 14, 2012, 10:41:55 am »

Humblegar: build a bridge or floor over the ponds so rain can't get in. I think that putting a construction over 1/7 water will remove it, but if not, you can try turning off temperature during the thaw and waiting for it all to evaporate before switching temperature back on during the next possible thaw.

Bottom of list, down by splints and crutches.  It says we get x5 in Toady's new Popup, but only shows us the first one's sex symbol...  Unless its assumed, that all five are the same sex, which I find an uncomfortably way of packaging unprepared meat, don't you?  The sex shouldn't be there, or matter;  hell, we cannot breed them!
I don't know why the game displays the sex symbols on the meat (the naming scheme for cave fish is the same for cave crocodiles, whose meat isn't separated by sex), but unless dwarves who prefer to consume cave fish secretly have a preference for cave fish (m) or cave fish (f), then it doesn't matter.

Also, the meat is prepared. You don't get any bones from it if the dwarf decides to eat it before it's cooked.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: October 14, 2012, 10:45:50 am »

Thanks guys, I found some "murky pool slope" tiles even outside the left pool :)

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: October 15, 2012, 09:18:46 am »

Do items stored in cabinets not lose ownership?  I'm trying to recover some FPS, and destroying old clothing is my current priority there.

dfhack has a "cleanowned" command for exactly this problem.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: October 15, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »

Yeah, I know DFHack can fix it, but I like to run the game without utilities.  I prefer to not have to rely on them, and if workarounds are available in game I try to use them first.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: October 15, 2012, 01:18:40 pm »

Yeah, I know DFHack can fix it, but I like to run the game without utilities.  I prefer to not have to rely on them, and if workarounds are available in game I try to use them first.

I think I've done cabinetless fortress recently and relied on locking doors and deactivating bedrooms that seems too full randomly ( I overbuilds bedrooms ) and letting them get another bedroom on their own and waiting for clutter ownership to time out. I'm not sure if it still works, a bit micromanagery but it's a way.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: October 15, 2012, 03:56:28 pm »

Magma?

Another question, sorry in advance if it is too big to be answered here.

I want to move the leftovers from an invasion inside by a minecart-track built from my fort to a tile just beneath the place the slaughter took place. Is there any way to "force" the items to only be hauled by the minecart (assuming I make an opening controlled by a bridge or something). I have a different basic minecart-track running so I know the basics.

I know the receiving end can be a stockpile to only accept from (in this case hauling) links, but not sure about how to keep my dwarves from simply running out with bins and all if I reclaim those items.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: October 16, 2012, 12:35:02 am »

I found the Error Message FAQ in the wiki, but it doesn't cover my question,
I've looked around the forum but mostly seen GCS related posts, hopefully someone else has run into this message i keep receiving.

<dorf> cancels task: Webbed

I have Cave spiders only, I frequently check the u menu, because I am paranoid about dealing with GCS. So, I pause as fast as I can when I see the message and center on the unit in question, but I can find nothing wrong with him. with {v, k} I check all over and don't see any mention of Web or Spider.   Anyone know what is going on?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: October 16, 2012, 12:39:27 am »

Sounds like he walked into a cave spider web (usually found scattered around caverns) while he was going to work.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: October 16, 2012, 03:36:18 am »

Magma?

I want to move the leftovers from an invasion inside by a minecart-track built from my fort to a tile just beneath the place the slaughter took place. Is there any way to "force" the items to only be hauled by the minecart (assuming I make an opening controlled by a bridge or something). I have a different basic minecart-track running so I know the basics.

I know the receiving end can be a stockpile to only accept from (in this case hauling) links, but not sure about how to keep my dwarves from simply running out with bins and all if I reclaim those items.
They won't run out with bins if they don't have a stockpile in which to put the bins. So you have to set all stockpiles that could accept siege loot to take from links and link them to your minecart system.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: October 16, 2012, 05:40:43 am »

Magma?

They won't run out with bins if they don't have a stockpile in which to put the bins. So you have to set all stockpiles that could accept siege loot to take from links and link them to your minecart system.

I have thought about this myself and came up with something similar. I guess I could enclose the loot in a "link only" stockpile, and make this the start of my minecart-track. Now all other similar stockpiles would have to be "link only". That would be a mess right now but I can redesign my stockpiles.

My clothier can have his workshop linked I guess, but dwarves will not be able to drop worn clothes (except through dfhack) while this is in motion?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: October 16, 2012, 08:25:03 am »

-snip-

My clothier can have his workshop linked I guess, but dwarves will not be able to drop worn clothes (except through dfhack) while this is in motion?
They could drop it in the minecart stockpile. But tattered clothes count as refuse, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

maltapotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:12 am »

What is the point of a Champion noble? what does he do, and what kind of dorf would be a good fit for the position? the wiki says my best teacher would be good to give good moral boost to the troops, but does any one else have a better idea?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:39 am »

I'm pretty sure the champion is only useful for giving thoughts related to talking to nobles.  Some dwarves get happy thoughts when talking to nobles, some get unhappy thoughts, and most don't really care.

The champion just makes the dwarf filling the role able to generate those thoughts.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: October 16, 2012, 02:05:08 pm »

Sounds like he walked into a cave spider web (usually found scattered around caverns) while he was going to work.

Alright, thanks. That is all I thought was going on but it was making me nervous. I was just afraid the Spiders were getting uppity.

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 422