Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881476 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3195 on: October 07, 2012, 11:27:03 am »

Hit 'a' to view announcements.  The amount of spam will probably make this less than useful in large forts or if you have pathing issues however.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: October 07, 2012, 11:47:55 am »

Ok, this is a supremely noob question, but is there a way to view non-combat related reports from the game (for example, job completion messages, mandate messages, all the sort of non-essential things that appear at the bottom of the screen from time to time)?

Press (a).
DF: where imagination beats animation

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: October 07, 2012, 12:26:20 pm »

Ok, this is a supremely noob question, but is there a way to view non-combat related reports from the game (for example, job completion messages, mandate messages, all the sort of non-essential things that appear at the bottom of the screen from time to time)?

What they said. Plus gamelog.txt

I have the gamelog open on a second monitor to see those messages more "realtime" than ingame. (on linux,iirc, terminal "tail -f gamelog.txt")

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:18 am »

That's genius... now if only there was an easy way to do that on Windows.  No, I don't consider Cygwin an easy way.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: October 08, 2012, 02:16:09 am »

Well, the best long-term solution would be using Linux...
But for now, maybe this will help you: http://tailforwin32.sourceforge.net/
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

oggimog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:01 am »

Hi, did they remove the 'dwarfs stay underground' command from the orders? I am new and only played on 34.x an I want to bring all my dwarfs inside my fortress, and the only thing i find to do this is this command. But sadly it is not there in my version. Is there any other way or am I simply to blind to find it?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: October 11, 2012, 12:10:43 pm »

That command no longer exists. To get that function, you must define a burrow (w).  You can make the burrow cross multiple Z levels, so I just make the inside of my fort, and all mine levels part of the burrow.  Then, set up an alert level, and on the right side, set the civilians to that burrow.  When you make that alert active, all civilians will go inside (or wherever you set the burrow).

So it's more complicated now, but more flexible.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: October 11, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »

Hi, did they remove the 'dwarfs stay underground' command from the orders? I am new and only played on 34.x an I want to bring all my dwarfs inside my fortress, and the only thing i find to do this is this command. But sadly it is not there in my version. Is there any other way or am I simply to blind to find it?

You're not blind, it was just replaced with a new system. On the one hand, it's way more complicated. On the other hand, it's also way more flexible and gives you a lot more control over your dwarves since you can do anything from "dwarves stay indoors" to "dwarves stay in the emergency fallout bunker in the heart of the mountain."

I don't have the game open in front of me, so if I miss a step/keystroke hopefully somebody else will jump in to correct me.

Step 1- Create a burrow. I typically create this burrow on the dining hall to start with, but it can be any safe point.
Step 2- Go to the military screen.
Step 3- Go to the alerts screen. This screen has a list of alerts, the squads associated with that alert, and the burrows associated with that alert.
Step 4- You'll see on the left two default alerts, Inactive and Active/Training. Arrow down to Active.
Step 5- Arrow right until you are highlighting the burrow you made in Step 1. Hit enter, and a little 'a' should appear, indicating that this burrow is now associated with this alert.
Step 6- Arrow back left to the list of alerts, and hit enter on Active. A little block marked [CIV] should move next to it. That [CIV] is the current civilian alert.

What you've just done is forced all civilian dwarves to only accept jobs from that burrow. As a result, everyone should drop what they're doing and, lacking any other available job, go hang out in the burrow, safe in the fort. You can still order your military around manually. When the danger is past, you can go back to your alert screen and set the alert back to Inactive to free everyone up again.

Once you're more comfortable with the system, you can use it to set up layers of alert. I usually have a burrow encompassing everything underground for use in case of surface foes (remember you can designate burrows even in unmined/unexplored spaces, and across z-levels!) Then I have another secure "bunker" burrow for when things really go to hell. You can also use this system to cause your military to automatically scramble to designated burrows, which can be a handy time-saver in well-established forts.

Or, y'know, Damiac can ninja me :P

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
learning to swim
« Reply #3203 on: October 12, 2012, 04:21:31 am »

Does passing through ocean waves still improve swimming skill in v0.34.11 as it is written in the wiki for 40d (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Swimmer).

Tarsius

• Bay Watcher
  • this is something that shows up below your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:55 pm »

in embark screen, i can use my points to get some aquatic vermins like cave fish and cave lobster. the question is, can they breed? (since they have male and female symbol next to the name) or they can only be eaten?
and this is something that shows up below your post

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: October 13, 2012, 01:22:16 am »

The elfs have been bringing pretty cool beast to me, big lizards and bears.

I am wondering if these can be safely trained to be beasts of war or are they going to maul my dwarfs to death as soon as i let em out?

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: October 13, 2012, 05:18:51 am »

The elfs have been bringing pretty cool beast to me, big lizards and bears.

I am wondering if these can be safely trained to be beasts of war or are they going to maul my dwarfs to death as soon as i let em out?

Yes, all animals brought by elves are pre-tamed and should show up with 'domesticated' in their name-meaning they will not attack any of your precious dorfs or other friendly creatures (unless you stuff too many in one area).

in embark screen, i can use my points to get some aquatic vermins like cave fish and cave lobster. the question is, can they breed? (since they have male and female symbol next to the name) or they can only be eaten?

According to the wiki:

Vermin "do not breed, but "spawn", spontaneously appearing in their natural environment or biome"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:24:12 am by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: October 13, 2012, 07:52:10 am »

I never take them, since the trade window popups were added to DF in the last patch, their quantities, fish and lobster, and their sex, male and female, have been borked.  I think many players would prefer to buy one, and have the option, via popup or whatever, to increase the quantity, rather than be forced to purchase five of exactly the same sex.  Then be forced to redact um. 

I'm guessing this is less a borked up, big-crazy-eyed bug and more an unfinished Pool activity pen, future-feature.  Either way, I have been taking more eggs, and grain, at embark, and less seafood.  I never trading for this,  because it feels partly unfinished, and mainly in need of a repair or mod.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Tarsius

• Bay Watcher
  • this is something that shows up below your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: October 13, 2012, 12:03:47 pm »

hmmm... ok... thanks for the replies

one more question, can male cattle mate with more than one female? for example if I have 1 ram and 3 ewes, can all the 3 ewes be pregnant at the same time?

sorry for asking so often... new to the game (and forum, too) here
and this is something that shows up below your post

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: October 13, 2012, 12:40:44 pm »

one more question, can male cattle mate with more than one female? for example if I have 1 ram and 3 ewes, can all the 3 ewes be pregnant at the same time?

Yes.  It is almost 100% certain that they will be.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 422