Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881467 times)

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3180 on: October 04, 2012, 06:31:13 pm »

I'd take away his bedroom so that he no longer tries to store anything.  Or give him a 1x1 bedroom, just a bed.  Or a bedroom with something already sitting on every floor tile (and no cabinets), so he has no room to store any more new items.
I think that the problem is that the dwarf is trying to get new clothes and put them on, not store them.

This is correct.  She has a bedroom, with no furniture and without any clothes on the floor(she can't even take hers off), her clothes are rotting off and she keeps trying to replace them, unsuccessfully.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: October 05, 2012, 09:28:48 am »

Did anyone do !!science!! on Forgotten Beast reanimation? Is it possible? If yes, is it possible for inogranic ones too? Do they keep their syndromes?

Haven't encountered one in adventure mode. In fort mode my necro migrant reanimated an organic FB that had no syndrome. If I encounter one with syndromes or an inorganic one, I will post results.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: October 05, 2012, 12:04:20 pm »

I'd take away his bedroom so that he no longer tries to store anything.  Or give him a 1x1 bedroom, just a bed.  Or a bedroom with something already sitting on every floor tile (and no cabinets), so he has no room to store any more new items.
I think that the problem is that the dwarf is trying to get new clothes and put them on, not store them.

This is correct.  She has a bedroom, with no furniture and without any clothes on the floor(she can't even take hers off), her clothes are rotting off and she keeps trying to replace them, unsuccessfully.

You're probably out of luck, the dwarf is probably just going to go insane soon due to lack of clothing.  A real shame, that.

You mention having problems getting them to wear gauntlets.  Do you have their uniform set to replace clothes, or over clothes?  If the latter, change it to replace clothes immediately.  That saves 99.9987% of the uniform problems in the game, to the point I'd almost suggest removing the option for armor to be worn over clothes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: October 05, 2012, 04:37:10 pm »

I have two sheep pastured outside my fort. I've shorn them several times. But after building a bridge in my entrance hall, when I create a "shear creature" labor at my farmer's workshop, I get a job cancellation that says there is "no creature."

I'm assuming it has something to do with my drawbridge, but I don't know what to do about it. And yes, the bridge is down.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: October 05, 2012, 04:45:55 pm »

Perhaps their wool hasn't grown out enough to be shorn again yet?

Also, no burrows involved, right?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: October 05, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

Their wool is "extremely long." And nope, no burrows.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: October 05, 2012, 11:09:08 pm »

Their wool is "extremely long." And nope, no burrows.
Is the workshop in their pen?

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: October 05, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »

Nope.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: October 06, 2012, 12:18:41 am »

Nope.
Try it and see if it makes a difference, works for me.

BocoClacko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: October 06, 2012, 05:36:11 am »

The wiki mentions a "bit of dwarven magic" to breach an ocean/river/whatever from below, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it... bridge under ocean, ramps below bridge, walls around bridge (same z level?) and then dig... where? -_-

This is what I visualize (vertical slice):

~ liquid
* natural rock
0 wall
__ bridge
^ up ramps

~~~~~~
*0__0**
**^^**

(Side note: I LOVE that this game displays ASCII, I don't feel like an idiot making/reading depictions like this!)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: October 06, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »

Yeah, it's a bit hard to visualize, and the wiki is confusing about it (0__0 is correct, though). The article about retracting bridges uses different words:
Dig out ramps leading up to the first level below an ocean. Build a retracting bridge on that level, directly over the ramps (be sure to leave them in place!) and link it to a trigger. Carefully seal off the chamber to make it water tight. Now with the bridge in place, designate ramps up to the ocean adjacent to the bridge. Diggers with access to the level below the bridge can dig those ramps up from the level of the bridge, allowing the ocean to fill the chamber; even with the ramp squares underwater they can still dig them out. And not a drop of water will touch them... provided they clear out before you pull the lever.

Maybe a three-dimensional visualization is more appropriate for this.

z 0 (last ocean level)
~~~~
~~~
~~~
~~~~

z -1
0BB   B is for
0BB   bridge

z -2
*▲☺··· -> to water
*▲▲··· -> reservoir

Red tiles are the final ramps that have to be dug out to breach the ocean. They used to be natural rock. The walls (0) were built in tiles that had been dug out to build the bridge. The dwarf will stand on an up ramp below the non-retracted bridge.
That's the whole catch: the dwarf can dig diagonally through the bridge. Once the ocean is breached, get the dwarfs out of the tunnel and open the bridge.

This also works for volcano breaching. This thread has a simpler diagram with basically the same method.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: October 06, 2012, 10:20:54 pm »

About to setup my first fort hospital. The wiki recommends making it "close to water."

What exactly does that mean?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: October 06, 2012, 10:35:49 pm »

Dwarves need water to wash a patient's wounds. The closer the hospital is to the water supply, the quicker this happens. Make sure the water is two levels deep at least, so that when the bucket dips into the water it's deep enough to not pick up the mud in the lowest level of the water.

Don't forget the soap as well. That cuts down on infection rates, though maybe not as much if you're using clean water and not stagnant water. Soap is the only thing you should be storing in the hospital cabinets -- everything else can go in a stockpile within the hospital zone area, or nearby.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: October 07, 2012, 05:32:38 am »

I am trying to get a squad to follow a route.

I have created a route, as explained in the Wiki, and called it "Patrol01". And I have three squads on different levels of expertise. I can give them an attack order (k) or a move order (m), and from the move order I can choose several options, like move to station (a-b-c...), but I cannot find the command for "follow route".

I went to the military/schedule menu, but couldn't find anything there either. And I checked in the (N)otes menu, nothing there.

How do I get my squad to go on patrol?

OK, I found the answer:

Then, using the military schedules screen, you select the patrol route order...

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:47:01 am by vonduus »
DF: where imagination beats animation

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: October 07, 2012, 11:08:14 am »

Ok, this is a supremely noob question, but is there a way to view non-combat related reports from the game (for example, job completion messages, mandate messages, all the sort of non-essential things that appear at the bottom of the screen from time to time)?
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 422