Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881423 times)

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3165 on: October 01, 2012, 11:16:16 am »

Is there a game-pausing announcement when a child dwarf reaches adulthood and can be assigned all labors?

If not, what's the best way to keep track of kids and get them doing more than partying when they turn 12?
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: October 01, 2012, 11:17:54 am »

Is there a game-pausing announcement when a child dwarf reaches adulthood and can be assigned all labors?

If not, what's the best way to keep track of kids and get them doing more than partying when they turn 12?
No, there is an announcement but it doesn't pause.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: October 01, 2012, 11:41:03 am »

What settings do I need to use to get worn clothing dumped on the refuse pile?  I can't seem to figure out what's needed.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:11 am »

About all you can do, if you miss the announcement "Urist McTeenager has grown to become a peasant," is to periodically check your unit list and see if there are any peasants.  I just give a quick visual inspection for the teal colored entries, but it's possible to confuse this with swordsmen.  Anyway, just check every so often, and if you see a peasant, inspect his labors and make sure he's set up to do something useful.

What settings do I need to use to get worn clothing dumped on the refuse pile?  I can't seem to figure out what's needed.

If there's an automatic way to do this I'd be thrilled, but I don't think there is.  What I do in the mean time is every once in a while go through the stocks screen, go to the armor, legwear, footwear, handwear and headwear sections, hit tab to expand the list, and any entry marked with an x or X, I just hit 'd' to dump it.  It takes a few minutes to do this, but as long as you do it once a year or so in game it keeps too much crap from accumulating.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:19 am »

About all you can do, if you miss the announcement "Urist McTeenager has grown to become a peasant," is to periodically check your unit list and see if there are any peasants.  I just give a quick visual inspection for the teal colored entries, but it's possible to confuse this with swordsmen.  Anyway, just check every so often, and if you see a peasant, inspect his labors and make sure he's set up to do something useful.
To add to what is being said. 

A child that reaches adult, will gain all its hauling skills upon turning into an adult, when that message appears. 

The way I track missed maturation messages is I look for children who gain back their wood hauling skill.  I tend to nix the wood hauling skill on all my dwarfs as soon as I open up Dwarf Therapist, cept a select few(the armored-hunting dog owners), so any that gain their hauling back in Therapist, all of a sudden are usually maturing children.

The woodcutters in these fortress I play, don't haul wood.  They just go straight to next tree, cut, and move to next tree.  With a small contingent of dogs in toe.  This seems to work for me, until DF gets lag riddled.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: October 01, 2012, 01:10:24 pm »

If there's an automatic way to do this I'd be thrilled, but I don't think there is.  What I do in the mean time is every once in a while go through the stocks screen, go to the armor, legwear, footwear, handwear and headwear sections, hit tab to expand the list, and any entry marked with an x or X, I just hit 'd' to dump it.  It takes a few minutes to do this, but as long as you do it once a year or so in game it keeps too much crap from accumulating.

Rats, ah well  :) thanks
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

zgamer699

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:48 pm »

so for some reason i cant find the magma smelter, ior any other magma workshop, wiki says it pops up after i discover magma, but i have my magma aqueduct, and room all built out.  tapped a magme pipe (pool now?) and everything, just cant find the build designation.  is there something im missing here?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: October 01, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »

Magma smelters are listed in the furnace submenu, and the keypresses are [b],[e],[l].

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: October 01, 2012, 07:31:03 pm »

You'll have to do more exploratory digging.  Sometimes the Magma sea appears, but the popup doesn't.  We need the popup to get the Magma stuff.  The main popup, not the smaller ones. 

I've gotten popups and no magma sea.  And I've gotten magma seas and no popup.  So goes the joy of random worlds.  :o)
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: October 01, 2012, 09:09:06 pm »

dfhack has a solution for this ("cleanowned"). A not widely known fact is that dwarves not only drop used clothing where they are now, they also collect used (but owned by them) clothing  in their bedrooms/coffers. Over time, that adds to FPS degradation.

I put "cleanowned scattered x" (remove "owned" tag from used clothing, mark all "x" clothes (as opposed to only "X" clothes) for dumping) to a keybinding and hit the key after every seasonal save.

It's not nice, but the only working solution I know about.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:17 am »

How do you set the keybinding to make such a long command useable with the hotkeys?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: October 02, 2012, 01:58:28 pm »

How do you set the keybinding to make such a long command useable with the hotkeys?

with """

for example:
keybinding add Ctrl-C "cleanowned scattered x"

took me quite a while to figure it out aswell :-)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:20:29 pm by Cozmopolit »

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: October 04, 2012, 04:09:43 pm »

So I have a ex-military dwarf who lost the use of the both arms in battle, extensive nerve damage from being stabbed by goblin pikemen for over 5 pages.

He made a full recovery with the exception of his hands being useless, but unfortunately this means our hero dwarf cannot even so much as dress himself any more and is spamming me with "cancel store owned item: Too injured", he is also getting very unhappy about not having anything but his socks left.

If there anything I can do about this other than wait for him to eventually go mad or put him out of his naked misery?  And would this be considered a bug or a feature?  I know in the past that even stump dwarfs could manage to get themselves dressed, but apparently no longer. Is this intended?

With the frequency of hand/arm injuries my dwarfs seem to suffer(partly because getting dwarfs to wear gauntlets on both hands seems to be a ancient arcane art lost to modern fortresses) this isn't an isolated incident either and the cancel spam is getting out of hand(hoho).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: October 04, 2012, 05:45:08 pm »

I'd take away his bedroom so that he no longer tries to store anything.  Or give him a 1x1 bedroom, just a bed.  Or a bedroom with something already sitting on every floor tile (and no cabinets), so he has no room to store any more new items.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:17 pm »

I'd take away his bedroom so that he no longer tries to store anything.  Or give him a 1x1 bedroom, just a bed.  Or a bedroom with something already sitting on every floor tile (and no cabinets), so he has no room to store any more new items.
I think that the problem is that the dwarf is trying to get new clothes and put them on, not store them.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 422