Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881266 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3090 on: September 17, 2012, 07:37:26 pm »

If I have a fort, and I voluntarily abandon after 10 years, will the next fort I start in that world start in year 11?
Will migrants that show up be members of my old fort? 
Only if I embark as the same civilization?
Your fort will start in the spring of 11, yes.

Old fort members can show up as migrants. I believe you need to be using the same dwarven civilization, but I'm not sure on that on. If you aren't required to then you almost certainly have a much higher chance if you are.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:52 am »

Where do I store adamantine wafers? Strands go in the cloth pile, where goes wafers?

And a related question: How do I keep a workshop out of the managers queue? I have set up an adamantine factory, consisting of a craftdwarfs shop, a loom and a magma smelter. But now my dwarves insist on doing bone bolts in the adamantine workshop. I can setup a stockpile, so that it only accepts stuff from links, but this seems impossible for workshops - I can give it raw adamantine, but it seems I cannot tell it to only do what I want it to do. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:43:39 am by vonduus »
DF: where imagination beats animation

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: September 18, 2012, 12:51:11 pm »

I believe wafers are stored under "bars".

You can't eliminate things out of the managers queue, sadly. Right now the only workaround is to fill a workshop with 10 (s)uspended tasks. Then the workshop will believe it is full of tasks, and won't be assigned any by the manager.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: September 18, 2012, 01:52:27 pm »

I believe wafers are stored under "bars".

You can't eliminate things out of the managers queue, sadly. Right now the only workaround is to fill a workshop with 10 (s)uspended tasks. Then the workshop will believe it is full of tasks, and won't be assigned any by the manager.

I cannot find them in any subdivision of "bar", but you must be right, where else should I put them? And yes, I suspended the tasks, but hoped there was some smarter workaround. Well, never mind, as I have more urgent problems now than where to put wafers.

My newest problem is that I dug right through an adamantine spire, without knowing it was there, by digging under the floor. One of my dwarfes on the layer above broke through to the third cavern a little later, and I realized how lucky I am.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made a save and put it in a safe place, so I could just dig on to see what happens (well, I know what happens), but I would rather use some logic instead. Can anyone confirm the information in the spoiler? Or provide a link to the mentioned thread?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: September 18, 2012, 02:02:45 pm »

Go to the "metal" subsection of bars and scroll down to the very bottom of the list (or go up, it's faster) and you will see adamantine.

And yes, the information in the spoiler is correct to the best of my knowledge.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: September 18, 2012, 02:39:03 pm »

Fortifications as a recon device, what a great idea!

Thanks, i2amroy.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: September 18, 2012, 02:42:00 pm »

Mountainhome Traders just arrived.  To my complete surprise, they flew, no they jettisoned, no they bolted across from region edge to Depot, at fantastic speeds.  Normal?  Or did I just get lucky with a Mountainhome with racehorses pulling their carts?  No roads were made anywhere.  My chicken pop is 12, kitty pop is 8, and dwarf pop is about 60(give or take a baby).  I was really shocked at the speed the caravan came in from the edge after taking DF off of pause.  It wasn't normal or consistant.  The rest of the blips are moving about at normal rates, but this caravan shot in from the edge, faster than I would think believable for a burst of bearden, ha..   Beast of burden.  I've been playing to long, dyslexia kicking in.  Haven't saved over the game, just lost my emmersion from this darting caravan, however.  As a result, I had to ask here, to find out if its happened to anyone else.  Has anyone else seen jet propelled traders, before?  Is this something I should upload responsibly for Toady's/testers to review.  Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: September 18, 2012, 03:46:05 pm »

It sounds a lot like bug 0006081. Somebody already uploaded a save demonstrating it, but it doesn't seem to be a very common bug. If you have another save, maybe it can help Toady to figure out how to fix the problem (once he gets around to it).
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: September 18, 2012, 06:06:31 pm »

A human caravan is leaving my fort, while a dwarven caravan is approaching. Few moments later they meet in my entrance tunnel, which is three tiles wide. Which means that the caravans cannot pass each other. Which again means that they are stuck. Neither dwarf nor human can/will yield to the other party, horsewagons probably don't have a back gear. I had hoped they would start to fight and kill each other, leaving the goods to me, but no such luck, they are simply stuck.

I cannot just dig a new tunnel to let them out, because on one side of the existing tunnel is my water power plant, and on the other is a combination of barracks and stockpiles and my main stairway.

What will happen now? Apart from the fact that I am a little low on sand, I don't really need any trade goods from outside this year, but will they ever leave? Can they ever leave? So that they will be able to come back next year, when I definitely will need some sand?

Is this a bug or a feature? And what should I do about it? For the time being I am tempted to leave them be, in the interest of science, just to see what happens. If anyone has any experience with how to deal with stuck trade caravans, please share.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: September 18, 2012, 06:21:33 pm »

I had deadlocked merchants of two races, just like you described, between my inner and outer walls once.  I solved it by knocking down part of the inner wall.

If you can't knock down walls, perhaps you could build ramps?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: September 18, 2012, 08:23:54 pm »

I think they'll go insane eventually and probably solve your problem for you.  They'll probably count as dead and their supplies lost when it comes time to figure out what to send next year though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: September 19, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »

Build another Depot.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: September 20, 2012, 05:58:04 am »

Question:  Anyone know if there is a guide somewhere pertaining to the exact civilization requirements of all the possible races, but specifically the Dwarfs, which would populate the many Civ sites during Worldgen? 

We are struggling to overcome rejections in a 257x257 all 90-100 savage world.  Even with Civ requirements turned off. Dwarfs require unsavage region, it says.  I know the old Worldgen guide exists on the Wiki.  But its not clear as to what the exact civilization requirements of the possible races are.  It explained how to overcome the error, if memory serves me.

Also getting not enough Civ site failure rejections.  Since when isn't there enough?  If I say that many, why in heavens sake, would that not be enough?  Is it because they are divided equally, amongst the competing tribes? 

I'd just like to know specifically just how unsavage a region must be for dwarfs on that 0-100 scale Worldgen provides, in order to meet the Civ requirement.  Reason for my madnessrequest: I like hunting, and am sick of flocks of untargetable Ravens.  PS.  I don't care to edit the raws to remove Ravens, just yet.  Thanks ahead of time for any advice.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:00:24 am by knutor »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: September 20, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »

Will a cavern in embark cause a Hunter to be unable to find path?  Or is it these Bird men?  I upped the savagery to avoid Ravens, because Hunters never hunt them, and now I have Raven men to contend with!

So far, I painted off the cavern entrances, all 11 z levels of it, with restricted travel, but nay, must be another solution somewhere...  Only things to hunt in region are these 6 Raven men, and a Giant Rat the occupant of the cavern. 

Cavern goes deep down into the fog of war via a ramp or two, might these hunters be prioritizing something in there to hunt?  I'll watch the spam for a bit to see if restricted travel fixes it.  In the interim, any ideas?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: September 20, 2012, 05:32:28 pm »

Restricted traffic areas don't forbid zones for pathing, they just increase the pathing cost. If a dwarf wants to path through a restricted tile, he'll only consider it if the shortest alternate path is more than 25 tiles long. So, if you say that the access to the caverns is restricted, it'll cause the dwarfs to search for an alternate path, but since there isn't one, they'll happily go through the "restricted" area. Or just look for targets, in your case.

I recommend making a burrow for the hunters that doesn't include the caverns. That should stop them.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 422