Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881160 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3015 on: September 03, 2012, 10:25:38 am »

Update:  This Fire breathing Coyote FB has made a home in the hospital.  He blew up a flood retention door, and now half the lower smelting area is afloat and the well reservoir is draining down a hallway, drowning the area I had finished good stored at.  LOL!  Its a testament to futility, to watch this unfold.  However, the leaking water, does confirm, the lower levels were air tight, and these nasties do in fact spawn, right smack in the middle of a walled up fortress.  Ugg. 

This leaky well reservoir has answered my own question.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: September 03, 2012, 12:24:59 pm »

Any reason I can't haul corpse corpses?  I encountered my first zombie siege, and their corpses litter my courtyard.  I'm worried a second outbreak I'll make this untenable.

What do i need to do to get this under control?

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: September 03, 2012, 01:26:59 pm »

In my last fortress I had a 2x2 set of wells to ensure easy access to a drinking supply without pesky queues. Unfortunately, some of the mining dwarfs channeling the well shaft had...accidents, and three of the four wells had dorf corpses blocking them. Is there any way to clear these out without more drownings if this happens again?

PS I now know how to stop it from happening again with proper designations, but just in case...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: September 03, 2012, 01:40:21 pm »

Any reason I can't haul corpse corpses?  I encountered my first zombie siege, and their corpses litter my courtyard.  I'm worried a second outbreak I'll make this untenable.

What do i need to do to get this under control?

It's usually something about the settings on the Standing orders menu.  For example:
Orders menu, Refuse submenu, Dwarves haul refuse from outside is off by default; toggle it on.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: September 03, 2012, 04:03:10 pm »

In my last fortress I had a 2x2 set of wells to ensure easy access to a drinking supply without pesky queues. Unfortunately, some of the mining dwarfs channeling the well shaft had...accidents, and three of the four wells had dorf corpses blocking them. Is there any way to clear these out without more drownings if this happens again?

PS I now know how to stop it from happening again with proper designations, but just in case...

So these dorfs died of drowning, not a digging accident?  Both, I guess. 

The way I would approach this, is to 1) dry the well's reservoir, 2) build up/down stairwells, bottom-upwards, 3) provide enough empty coffins, 4) move corpses, 5) remove construction, on up/down stairwells, top-downwards, 6) seal up the reservoir, with or without a floodgate, 7) flood it.

Drying the wells reservoir, to me would be the hardest step, if no shutoff exists.  Maybe try a short pump stack over to a new temp reservoir or magma pool, obsidian farm, or a runoff to the nearest map edge, waterfall, or cavern.

edit: added 1-7 numbers, for steps
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:06:04 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: September 04, 2012, 01:21:09 am »

dont suppose you can make a ballista arrow from obsiden ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: September 04, 2012, 02:46:31 am »

dont suppose you can make a ballista arrow from obsiden ?
Not without modding, no. Obsidian can only be used in vanilla in swords.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: September 04, 2012, 07:59:26 pm »

Several questions in one.

First
On the status (z) => Stocks screen what do the different colors mean?
There are two columns of numbers after each item category, one set in white/gray and another in red. Is the white total and red used?
Also the two columns for (F)orbidden and (D)ump are sometimes a lighter or highlighted color and sometimes a duller color.

Second
Are there any tools that let you sort/filter your stock? If not, by what logic are the items ordered?

Third
Is there a way to tell what sort of equipment types you have. Like if I wanted to see if I have enough iron helms to equip my dwarfs, is there a way to only show all iron head gear?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:01:18 pm by jarekb84 »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:59 pm »

First
There are two columns of numbers after each item category, one set in white/gray and another in red. Is the white total and red used?
Also the two columns for (F)orbidden and (D)ump are sometimes a lighter or highlighted color and sometimes a duller color.
The grey number is usable items, the red is unusable. A bed in a stockpile would count toward the grey number, while one built as a building would count toward the red.
If the D/F is dull, that means that only some items are dumped/forbidden. If your bookkeeping is accurate enough, you can press [TAB] to see individual items.

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: September 04, 2012, 08:43:56 pm »

First
The grey number is usable items, the red is unusable. A bed in a stockpile would count toward the grey number, while one built as a building would count toward the red.
If the D/F is dull, that means that only some items are dumped/forbidden. If your bookkeeping is accurate enough, you can press [TAB] to see individual items.

Thanks for the answers. For the last question, at this point I don't think it matters much for me. I've been reading through the squad equipment wiki and see that a template will suffice. I think that means that if I select metal, the dwarfs will go and find the best metal item they can find. Would changing it to "Partial Match" mean that if no metal item was available, the dwarf would use an equivalent leather item or cloth as a last resort?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: September 04, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »

If it's set to partial match and there are no metal items available they will take leather ones if they can.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:55 pm »

Thanks for the quick answers guys. Much appreciated in my quest to try to get a handle on this game for the third time.

irontide

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking like an unconscious liaison in your moat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: September 05, 2012, 12:23:30 am »

I'd like to add a meat industry to my forts, mainly for the by-products. But I'm not eager to spend in-game years waiting for animals to mature. Since I'm more or less awash in food in all of my forts (eggs=win), getting the maximum amount of meat out of an animal is of little concern. I know I can get tannable skins even out of new-born kittens, but is there a similar quick-and-dirty source of renewable bones?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: September 05, 2012, 12:19:00 pm »

I believe that newborn bears (either black or grizzly) are large enough that they will give bones upon being butchered, but I am not quite sure. Usually for bone purposes I just butcher from the top of the list instead of the bottom so the oldest animals are the ones being killed instead of the newborns. Assign the animals to pastures and their offspring will be automatically assigned as well, which keeps them confined even through later generations.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: September 05, 2012, 12:49:14 pm »

Black bears are born at size 12000. That's enough for bone.

Butchery returns are weird. You get 6 bones from a turkey (4000 size), 8-10 from a sheep (30,000 size), and 12-18 from a llama (180,000 size). The larger animals are rather disappointing in their returns. The wiki has draltha (size 3,500,000) at 28-40 bones. You could keep 49 sheep in a pasture area big enough for a single draltha, but you're only getting about 3 times as much bone. The non-bone returns on large grazers are disappointing too. Due to size fluctuations, they often give as much meat and offal as much smaller creatures.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 422