Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881092 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3000 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05:09 pm »

bolts:

The wiki says that density is important for bolts. I assume that's why wood bolts don't do squat to a guy in full iron armor. Does it mean that copper and silver make good bolts against steel/iron armor? I have boatloads of silver and copper I don't know what to do with and am lacking in iron as well as bolts. If the wiki is right and copper/silver make the best bolts, it would solve all my problems.

Maybe not the best, but it'll work pretty well. Pretty much any metal you can make into bolt will do well, the judge's out on the bluemetal, though, since there're conflicting reports. Go ahead and pump out the copper and silvers, it won't hurt :D

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: August 31, 2012, 01:12:24 pm »

Copper and silver bolts are indeed excellent.  You'll be pleased with the results.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: August 31, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »

Trying to get a draw bridge working. I built the bridge and lever, linked up the lever to the bridge, but now when i go to the lever i can't do anything. The option to promote current task is grayed out, and if I try to link it to the bridge it says "There is nothing that can be linked up".

What am I missing?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: August 31, 2012, 05:52:59 pm »

Trying to get a draw bridge working. I built the bridge and lever, linked up the lever to the bridge, but now when i go to the lever i can't do anything. The option to promote current task is grayed out, and if I try to link it to the bridge it says "There is nothing that can be linked up".

What am I missing?

You can't link to same object twice (The link list don't counts what it's already linked up to ), and promote don't shows up if there're one or less tasks. Are you looking for shift-p, the option to toggle lever?

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »

What am I missing?

You can't link to same object twice (The link list don't counts what it's already linked up to ), and promote don't shows up if there're one or less tasks. Are you looking for shift-p, the option to toggle lever?

Yeah I was, just figured it out after posting. Thanks though.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: August 31, 2012, 06:02:44 pm »

How close do my dwarves have to go to a corpse to find it dead? Is line of sight enough, or literally stumbling upon the corpse is required?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

jarekb84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: August 31, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »

How do i call all my dwarfs inside. Looking at an old wiki entry from .28 says hit o - i to "Civilians or all dwarves can be ordered to stay indoors," but that option is no longer available. How do I go about doing this in the current version?

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: August 31, 2012, 06:36:04 pm »

How do i call all my dwarfs inside. Looking at an old wiki entry from .28 says hit o - i to "Civilians or all dwarves can be ordered to stay indoors," but that option is no longer available. How do I go about doing this in the current version?

To replicate similar functionality, you will need to define a burrow (w) encompassing the area you want your dwarves to stay inside, and then assign it to an alert via the military alerts panel (m->a).

Once the burrow is assigned to an alert state, you can change the 'civilian' alert level in that screen to confine the general population to that area. This is not necessarily 100% reliable, as some dwarves will continue an existing job until completion rather than cancel it (notably I've had a mayor continue to 'Conduct Meeting' outside in the middle of a siege with... predictable results).

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: September 01, 2012, 01:21:11 pm »

Quick question: can dwarves eat and drink while swimming in water?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: September 01, 2012, 02:04:38 pm »

Quick question: can dwarves eat and drink while swimming in water?
IIRC no, they get the "dangerous terrain" message and cancel. IF the water is under 4/7 (so 3/7 or lower) then they are fine, but it doesn't train swimming.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: September 02, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »

I'm trying my hand at cage traps on my 18th Trinkling Balls of Angels fortress and having a lot of trouble trapping anything that I don't actually "aim" at.

An ettin came to my fort (above ground, not cave born) and I had only 1 bridge he could cross, so I could easily trap him by placing traps next to said bridge. But I would like those pesky undead ravens and some of the non undead wildlife to get randomly trapped too. I thought the bridge thing would be good but since most of the wildlife flies (on my map anyway) it's not helping. My embark is flat with a forking river. I went for a 7x5 embark so it is somewhat large. I have peaceful biomes to the west, evil in the middle (undead) and untamed wildlife to the east.

I tried to do what the wiki says (crosshair walls, the bridge chokepoint thingie etc...) but with such a large embark the odds of anything even getting close to my crosshair build are quite slim. Unless I make it huge with half my dwarves as masons. Is that what I should do?

Any tips on how to capture more wildlife? Am I supposed to just lay cage traps down all over the place?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: September 02, 2012, 06:17:51 pm »

Spoiler:  @ BrisoS (click to show/hide)

Anyways, my question. What exactly makes a mining pick work for the mining labor? I ask because I'm considering making it use the axe skill for combat (for simplicity in training military), and want to know if that would mean it no longer works for mining.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:24:13 pm by Lagslayer »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: September 02, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »

Yeah, you'll have to lay it all over the place. I see some guides mentioning that wild critters will wander from one edge to another, I've not seen that behavior very often, so I just set out clusters of traps here and there, preferrably near map corners since they seem to tend to pop up near there, or as near the edge as I can.

Occasionally catches goblin ambushes by surprise, too!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: September 02, 2012, 07:24:57 pm »

If you've got a large above-ground walled area, then you can put traps at the corners and catch creatures that are coming around those corners.

Code: [Select]
   ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
  g╔═══════════════════════════════╗g
  g║..,....'..,...`..,....,...,.',.║ g
  g║.,...,..`.'...,...`....,.'.'.'`║  g
  g║..,....'..,...`..,....,...,.',.║   g
  g0.,...,..`.'...,...`....,.'.'.'`║    g  <- goblin starts here
   g,...,.`.,.''.,.☺,..,,`.'.,,.',.║
   ^
   +-- goblin wants to go in the front gate here

The goblin (or whatever creature) will calculate the shortest path to your entrance, which will often have to go around the corners of your outer wall.  You can put traps right on those points to catch them.

Code: [Select]
           gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg^ <- splat!
splat! -> ^╔═══════════════════════════════╗g
           ║..,....'..,...`..,....,...,.',.║ g
           ║.,...,..`.'...,...`....,.'.'.'`║  g
           ║..,....'..,...`..,....,...,.',.║   g
           0.,...,..`.'...,...`....,.'.'.'`║    g  <- goblin starts here
           .,...,.`.,.''.,.☺,..,,`.'.,,.',.║
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: September 03, 2012, 10:05:07 am »

Question:  Will a Forgotten Beast spawn, inside a fort?  One just showed up in my up/down stairwell, out of the clear blue.. err, clear dark.  I'm trying to find the spot this little nasty fella came in, and don't see a way that he could have possibly entered anywhere near where he was first reported.  Losing the fortress as a result.  Just curious if they spawn in forts, often.  I did get a discovery message, for large magma sea, while digging, near magma of course, which didn't discover-uncover anything at all. 

I'm thinking something with this world is off sync.  Thanks, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 422