Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881047 times)

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2970 on: August 27, 2012, 07:37:47 pm »

New question!

Burrows!

Wiki does not mention sleeping and eating/drinking. Q&A says that dwarves will leave a burrow to eat/drink but still no mention of where they'll sleep.

I have two masons right now, one of which I want to focus on building masonry-required structures (paved roads/bridges mostly) and make stone blocks. He sucks lavender-field-clean-elf-ass and I want him to get some XP for a while before he starts building my tables and chairs. The problem is that Urist McSuckLavenderFieldCleanElfAss keeps using the workshop that has tables and chairs as work orders, while Urist McI'mSoLegendaryAtMakingTablesAndChairsAndShitIDoubtTheyWillEverBeAbleToEngraveMyWorkEvenInALegendaryDiningRoom-mason is stuck on stone block duty.

I sort of remember reading somewhere that you can assign workshops to specific dwarves but I don't know how (I guess that's question #2). And while that would be tremendously useful and will in fact solve this particular issue I would still appreciate input on my burrow related question.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:57:06 pm by BrisoS »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: August 27, 2012, 07:40:15 pm »

New question!

Burrows!

Wiki does not mention sleeping and eating/drinking. Q&A says that dwarves will leave a burrow to eat/drink but still no mention of where they'll sleep.

I have two masons right now, one of which I want to focus on building masonry-required structures (paved roads/bridges mostly) and make stone blocks. He sucks lavender-field-clean-elf-ass and I want him to get some XP for a while before he starts building my tables and chairs. The problem is that Urist McSuckLavenderFieldCleanElfAss keeps using the workshop that has tables and chairs as work orders, while Urist McI'mSoLegendaryAtMakingTablesAndChairsAndShitIDoubtTheyWillEverBeAbleToEngraveMyWorkEvenInALegendaryDiningRoom-mason is stuck on stone block duty.

I sort of remember reading somewhere that you can assign workshops to specific dwarves but I don't know how (I guess that's question #2). And while that would be tremendously useful and will in fact solve this particular issue I would still appreciate input on my burrow related question.

Thanks!

It's the workshop profile that you might want, shift-P on most workshops ( farm plot and a few others don't have it, I think ). You can assign by skill level ( not sure if it's still bugged, I think it's fixed but I don't uses it ) or to specific dwarves.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: August 27, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »

Double post

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: August 27, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »

In order to enable the workshop profiling function, you have to have a manager.  The manager doesn't need to do anything -- the position just has to be filled.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: August 27, 2012, 09:13:14 pm »

Dwarves don't need beds to sleep. Once they're tired enough they'll just lie down and sleep on the floor.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: August 27, 2012, 10:27:51 pm »

Sleeping in beds give good thoughts though. So burrows mean they will ignore their assigned bedrooms?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: August 28, 2012, 05:48:42 am »

Yes. Dwarfs won't accept any jobs outside their burrow, including sleeping.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: August 28, 2012, 08:23:34 am »

I don't get how to train animals in the new version, everything I got are these question marks everywhere (see picture below). Is this normal or should I see my keybindings or something?

Edit:
How to insert a picture?

Until I know, link: http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2996/dhr9lfmo_jpg.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:25:36 am by Zwerg »

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: August 28, 2012, 08:31:32 am »

All you have to do is to set up a zone, make it a training zone (hit t while in zone menu).
If you have any dwarf with the animal training labor, you can choose trainable animals in the animal sub menu of the status screen (z). You can toggle war training or hunting training with w or h.

Do you have a trainer? Maybe the question marks are a result of no dwarf available.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:33:19 am by Laurin »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:10 am »

The question marks are odd. Anyways, you can insert a picture like this:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/2996/dhr9lfmo_jpg.html[/img]
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: August 28, 2012, 08:55:19 am »

It seems that my key bindings on these parts were out of order. I'm using a "once-was Mayday" version, maybe because of that.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: August 28, 2012, 10:07:17 am »

Can creatures from a cavern go up through a well? The best place for my hospital would be right on top of the cavern's ceiling with water just 3 z-levels underneath. Not sure if it would be safe though or even work at all.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: August 28, 2012, 11:30:53 am »

Can creatures from a cavern go up through a well? The best place for my hospital would be right on top of the cavern's ceiling with water just 3 z-levels underneath. Not sure if it would be safe though or even work at all.
Yes, if they can fly.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: August 28, 2012, 12:55:17 pm »

Yes, if they can fly.
The best thing to do (though it takes a bit more work) is to create a u-bend with a grate in it. That is really the only sure fire way of accessing a cavern's water supply without danger from anything.

(w=well, G=grate)
Side View (before water flows)
________w_
       X X
       X X
~~~~~~~X X
XXXX XXX X
XXXX XXXGX
XXXX     X
XXXXXXXXXX
Side View (after water flows)
________w_
       X X
       X X
~~~~~~~X X
XXXX~XXX~X
XXXX~XXXGX
XXXX~~~~~X
XXXXXXXXXX

The u-bend will allow the water to flow down, over, and then up through the grate, preventing all access from everything, even building destroyers and fliers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: August 28, 2012, 01:22:52 pm »

Can't a building destroyer destroy the grate if it ends up on the grate's tile? If that is the case then the problem could be solved by having a w-bend and placing the grate so that it blocks access from below.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 422