Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881032 times)

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2955 on: August 25, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »

Can werecreatures infect the biome on which theyve been deployed?  A weremonster turned back to its original form and vanished, after attacking some of the other critters occupying my biome.
Only intelligent and blood carrying creatures can be infected with a werebeast curse, so unless they were attacking animal men you should be fine.

Oh.

Bloody hell...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: August 25, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »

if the animal people went off the map you're fine, mostly, since the outside embark is frozen in time for fortress mode
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: August 26, 2012, 03:03:42 am »

If I forcefully convict my Captain of the Guard for caving in the skulls of sleeping dwarves (they were all guilty of breaking an export law that got enacted while they were hauling the goods in bins to the depot, and their deaths are showing up as murders in the Justice screen) during Beatings (due to all of the restraints being full from the export fiasco), should I expect a weird loyalty issue, will my Hammerer kill my Captain, or what?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: August 26, 2012, 04:02:05 am »

no clue, try it and tell us the results :D
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: August 26, 2012, 06:54:49 am »

Hi all,

Can someone let me know if/how to remove YOUNG towercaps growing in my fortress? I can chop them down like tree if they are mature but when young they will stop me from building farms on top of them. Gather plants or chop down tree does not work on the young ones.

Thanks!

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: August 26, 2012, 07:07:56 am »

Hi all,

Can someone let me know if/how to remove YOUNG towercaps growing in my fortress? I can chop them down like tree if they are mature but when young they will stop me from building farms on top of them. Gather plants or chop down tree does not work on the young ones.

Thanks!

Yeah, farms are a little sensitive like that - trying to build above-ground farms is often an exercise in frustration (the number of inconveniently-placed boulders, shrubs, and similar things is amazing), for the same reason.

Depending on where it is, you may have some luck with building a floor tile over it, although if this is on muddied stone this might also remove the life-giving mud your farms need (it'll work on dirt floors though as they don't require more mud on top to grow stuff).

If necessary, mud can be replaced via controlled irrigation.

Alternatively, waiting a few months will allow the tree to mature enough to be cut down - naturally, this has the disadvantage that other plants will pop up in the rest of the farm.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: August 26, 2012, 07:14:47 am »

Hi all,

Thanks!

Build a paved road with stone blocks, then remove it.  You'll be left with nice ground suitable for creating a farm plot.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: August 26, 2012, 01:07:10 pm »

you can make a dirt road on it, but then you'd have to wait for it to return to its original state again

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: August 26, 2012, 04:41:36 pm »

no clue, try it and tell us the results :D

It went off not too badly actually, the first murder got the Captain 200 days in prison, and once that's up he's got two doses of 50 hammerstrikes to look forward to for the last two murders. The Captain's subordinates dragged him off to the chain, and though he immediately become unhappy it never progressed past that. I'm looking forward to the 100 hammerstrikes from my very weak hammerer, who also happens to be in the Captain's militia and has no weapons, but so far nothing terrible has happened. That'll teach the Captain to try and be above the law.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: August 26, 2012, 05:41:57 pm »

Paved road worked fine, thanks all.

New question - is there anything in the game that will break built walls? I broke into a cavern like a complete idiot (read: I dug a room of 25x25 right into a cavern wall not the usual dig a 1x1 stairway into a cavern ceiling). I managed to build walls everywhere with only a few crundles (sp?) getting through.

I read that some beasts can break buildings. The wiki itself seems to say that walls are safe though. If that is not true, what is the best way for me to safeguard the area? Are fortifications better?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: August 26, 2012, 06:20:49 pm »

Constructed Walls / Floors / Stairs / Fortifications are all safe from building destroyers.  If you're not ready for the "fun" of the caverns:

- If you breached using an up-down stair, then construct an "up" stair on the lowest level.  As "up" stairs are a combination of a floor and an upward leading staircase.

- If you breached horizontally, build a constructed wall to seal it up for now.  You can always (d-a) later to carve a fortification into the constructed wall.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: August 27, 2012, 12:11:58 am »

whats the difference between deep and shallow metals?

nvm mind i figured out the answer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:15:01 am by drivec »

zhubacca

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: August 27, 2012, 07:01:26 pm »

how do I build a wall?  all the guides say b + c + w, but b + c just has me place a chair.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: August 27, 2012, 07:06:56 pm »

how do I build a wall?  all the guides say b + c + w, but b + c just has me place a chair.

b -> C -> w

Capitalisation is important in this case - oftentimes a capital letter will build something different to its lowercase version.

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: August 27, 2012, 07:27:47 pm »

note:
b(build)+c(chair)
b(build)+C(Walls/floors/whatnot)

The "C" has to be shift+C (capital C).

Anytime you look at the wiki for keyboard inputs make sure you do two things:

1)watch out for capital letters
2)if the entry does not show the keyboard inputs, check out the earlier version of the same page. I have seen a lot of DF2012 pages that do not list the keyboard inputs when older ones did. KB inputs did not change as far as i can tell.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:29:30 pm by BrisoS »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 422