Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881012 times)

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2940 on: August 23, 2012, 08:47:19 pm »

Another question. So i embarked and i want fox leather. The problem is that the dwarf traders don't seem to have foxes near their fortress. This means that i can't be sure the humans will send me enough fox leather if any and i don't have foxes to hunt. Is their any way to get a supply of this good even if it means cheating. I'm more than willing to spawn some foxes around the map.
if the dwarves don't have foxes, then I don't think so. dfhack's fixmerchents / fixdiplomats might let you request stuff from humans and elves like you do from dwarves. If your humans have fox leather, they ought to have foxes.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: August 23, 2012, 11:26:07 pm »

you can never request from the elves unless someone did some extensive moding to make it so (I'll take 2 giant lions, 1 female and 1 male aaaand, lets see, Ooooooh, a discount on elephants, I'll take 5), but I think the fixmerchants works to get the human guild representative in the game
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: August 23, 2012, 11:55:20 pm »

do dwarfs consider distance on z lvls when going to eat ?

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: August 24, 2012, 12:11:20 am »

do dwarfs consider distance on z lvls when going to eat ?
Generally, a dwarf finding something in a stockpile treats a z level as one additional tile, and then does actual pathfinding to get to that item. So it depends on what they pick first, something to eat or a table/chair to eat at. I'd suspect they grab the 'closest' food item and then look for a place to munch on it at.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: August 24, 2012, 07:19:35 am »

So it depends on what they pick first, something to eat or a table/chair to eat at. I'd suspect they grab the 'closest' food item and then look for a place to munch on it at.

I believe that's correct.  They choose the "closest" edible food (ignoring actual path length), then they calculate the fastest path to get to that food, then they choose the "closest" unoccupied, unclaimed chair (ignoring actual path length) (unless they have their own private dining room), then they calculate the fastest path to get to that chair.  If there is no adjacent table when they eat in their chosen chair, then they'll get a bad thought due to "lack of tables".
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

JayXdbX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: August 24, 2012, 08:49:11 pm »

Okay i have another problem. My dwarfs are getting stuck in my cage traps when they set them up. I believe a few... like ten already died this way. A pain to since one was my broker.

I can't work out how i free them.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: August 24, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »

Build the cage with (b)-(j), then hit (x) to expand the list, choose the dwarf's cage, link it up to a lever, and then pull the lever.

As for why they are getting caught, do you have any webs in the area or anything that might stun your dwarves? Any syndromes that might cause temporary stunning/unconsciousness? Are your dwarves sleeping on the cage traps?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: August 24, 2012, 09:40:41 pm »

Build the cage with (b)-(j), then hit (x) to expand the list, choose the dwarf's cage, link it up to a lever, and then pull the lever.

As for why they are getting caught, do you have any webs in the area or anything that might stun your dwarves? Any syndromes that might cause temporary stunning/unconsciousness? Are your dwarves sleeping on the cage traps?
You can just unassign the dwarf to the cage. A dwarf will come along and release them.

I see people are using a dwarf therapist that shows attributes. Where do I download it/find the scripts whatever I put in to have that?

JayXdbX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »

To the question above. I just use the lazy noob pack
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026

As for the cage reply directly above. Ya sorry, but i don't understand the interface well enough to do what your suggesting.

to the other person; I will try building a cage like you suggest. I might go back to a older save since i consider this a simple mistake.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: August 24, 2012, 11:08:08 pm »

To the question above. I just use the lazy noob pack
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026

As for the cage reply directly above. Ya sorry, but i don't understand the interface well enough to do what your suggesting.

to the other person; I will try building a cage like you suggest. I might go back to a older save since i consider this a simple mistake.
b-j, then you press x to expand the list of cages, so instead of seeing fungiwood cage 13/13, you see individual cages. You scroll through the list with -+ to find the cage listed as dwarf cage. Once the cage is built, you view it with q, and press enter over your dwarf to unassign him.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: August 24, 2012, 11:23:07 pm »

You can just unassign the dwarf to the cage. A dwarf will come along and release them.
I've heard reports that this had worked and reports that this hasn't, so until somebody confirms it I suggested the lever method.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: August 25, 2012, 01:55:21 pm »

Can werecreatures infect the biome on which theyve been deployed?  A weremonster turned back to its original form and vanished, after attacking some of the other critters occupying my biome.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: August 25, 2012, 02:15:26 pm »

I've heard reports that this had worked and reports that this hasn't, so until somebody confirms it I suggested the lever method.

I'm 99% sure it's been confirmed for recent versions
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: August 25, 2012, 02:32:07 pm »

Can werecreatures infect the biome on which theyve been deployed?  A weremonster turned back to its original form and vanished, after attacking some of the other critters occupying my biome.
Only intelligent and blood carrying creatures can be infected with a werebeast curse, so unless they were attacking animal men you should be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 422