Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881008 times)

JayXdbX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2925 on: August 23, 2012, 11:49:44 am »

Sorry, i've been having internet trouble for the past few weeks.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6813
There is the file. Any information that was unclear or you'd like to know?

EDIT

Sorry for not mentioning my borrow. So i have 1 alert which i personally made which is connected to a burrow that every one but the military is in.
I used that during the siege and in my original play though i turn the alert to inactive which has no squad or burrow selected.

The burrow covered everything in my fortress expect the first level. For the first level it covered the stairs however i might have removed that part at some point. The trading station is on the first level.

However i was able to get my broker dwarf to the first level and right next to the trading station. He and the other dwarfs couldn't enter it but they tried. as said i tried reclaiming and the burrow never came close to reaching it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:05:20 pm by JayXdbX »

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: August 23, 2012, 01:14:27 pm »

Well I got your save, I think the problem is you manually added your civilians to your "civvy" burrow, which consisted of most of the fort excluding your top floor and your Depot.

You don't have to add anyone to a burrow to use a civilian alert.  All you have to do is make the burrow, then once you activate the burrow in the military screen under alerts, all civilians are restricted to that burrow automatically.  When you add citizens to that burrow you are permanently preventing them from doing any jobs on the top floor including hauling stuff and picking up materials for jobs.  I took everyone out of the burrow and turned the alert off and you went from 70 idlers to zero idlers, lots of goods were being carried to the Depot.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
recovering seed values from a save?
« Reply #2927 on: August 23, 2012, 01:41:09 pm »

I'd like to re-generate a world I'm playing, to start from scratch again in the same location. I don't know how to get the seed values for the world from the save game data, though. I couldn't find anything on the wiki about how to do it, so I thought that I'd ask here.

I've since generated several worlds after creating this particular one, so I don't thinkg that I can recover the seed values from the advanced world generation screen. Searching around on the forum here also didn't give me any obvious answers.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: August 23, 2012, 01:42:50 pm »

can't seem to find a two threads, despite searching. One was where someone spelled out exactly how they got dwarves to put minecarts full of magma in wheelbarrows, the other was an abuse of minecart ramp physics to set up pressure plates that go off at set times (one of them was perfectly timed for a swiss cheese maker).
I know they were in DF Gameply Questions or Dwarf Mode Discussion.
help?

found 'em
Magma minecarts in wheelbarrows was in page 35 of How Does Minecarts and the timers where here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114695.0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:18:03 pm by gestahl »
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: recovering seed values from a save?
« Reply #2929 on: August 23, 2012, 01:45:38 pm »

I'd like to re-generate a world I'm playing, to start from scratch again in the same location. I don't know how to get the seed values for the world from the save game data, though. I couldn't find anything on the wiki about how to do it, so I thought that I'd ask here.

I've since generated several worlds after creating this particular one, so I don't thinkg that I can recover the seed values from the advanced world generation screen. Searching around on the forum here also didn't give me any obvious answers.

abandon your fort, start that world in legends mode, and export world parameters.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »

abandon your fort, start that world in legends mode, and export world parameters.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did this and got the world gen information. The seed values appear to be too long to properly input into the advanced world generation screen, though. The last five or so digits get truncated automatically. Are these last digits of the seed values important, will my world be different?

JayXdbX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:50 pm »

Well I got your save, I think the problem is you manually added your civilians to your "civvy" burrow, which consisted of most of the fort excluding your top floor and your Depot.

You don't have to add anyone to a burrow to use a civilian alert.  All you have to do is make the burrow, then once you activate the burrow in the military screen under alerts, all civilians are restricted to that burrow automatically.  When you add citizens to that burrow you are permanently preventing them from doing any jobs on the top floor including hauling stuff and picking up materials for jobs.  I took everyone out of the burrow and turned the alert off and you went from 70 idlers to zero idlers, lots of goods were being carried to the Depot.
So that does explain why my orginal play though, i had dwarfs trying to put supplies in the trading station but literally couldn't when they were right next to it. Anyways, thank you and i will see if that fixes it.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: August 23, 2012, 02:04:07 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. I did this and got the world gen information. The seed values appear to be too long to properly input into the advanced world generation screen, though. The last five or so digits get truncated automatically. Are these last digits of the seed values important, will my world be different?
Copy the world gen parameters for that region, open the world_gen.txt file in the /data/init folder, scroll to the very end of the file, and paste the parameters. Save the file, then generate it.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: August 23, 2012, 02:06:55 pm »

Copy the world gen parameters for that region, open the world_gen.txt file in the /data/init folder, scroll to the very end of the file, and paste the parameters. Save the file, then generate it.

Thanks very much for your help.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: August 23, 2012, 03:39:47 pm »

The seed values appear to be too long to properly input into the advanced world generation screen, though. The last five or so digits get truncated automatically. Are these last digits of the seed values important, will my world be different?

According to the change log, that bug was supposed to have been fixed in 0.34.11.  Are you on an older version?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: August 23, 2012, 04:18:23 pm »

Hey guys, after generating a world and going to embark screen, I have listed as one of my neighbours "mountain halls" along with dwarves and the like. What will embarking here grant me? two dwarven caravans? our civ is not at war with them. in fact not matter what civ i change to it remains there.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: August 23, 2012, 04:36:42 pm »

I believe that's a former dwarven capital city that was conquered by a necromancer.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:23 pm »

I believe that's a former dwarven capital city that was conquered by a necromancer.
I am liking the sounds of that. I should expect zombie dwarves?

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »

Default embark civ is the one closest to your site, I think, so it may well be your capital city  8).
Also, I've seen Towns and Mountain Halls be taken over from humans / dwarves, but never seen the elves fall under the iron fist of enslavement they so richly deserve....is it just me? maybe the whole eating their dead thing makes the necros squimeish?

JayXdbX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: August 23, 2012, 08:26:57 pm »

Another question. So i embarked and i want fox leather. The problem is that the dwarf traders don't seem to have foxes near their fortress. This means that i can't be sure the humans will send me enough fox leather if any and i don't have foxes to hunt. Is their any way to get a supply of this good even if it means cheating. I'm more than willing to spawn some foxes around the map.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 422