Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880962 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2910 on: August 19, 2012, 02:15:50 pm »

For the nobles it's a reappearance of an old bug back in 31. and is not the laziness of nobles (If a noble was being lazy their status would be "Noble" like it is when they are idle, not "On Break" like that). You can find the references to the bugs here and here.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: August 19, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »

Interesting, it seems that a number of bugs have regressed in this version.  I've noticed a considerably larger amount of healthcare related bugs than in .31.25.  I don't think I ever had problems with doctors ignoring patients in .31.25, but I've had 3 separate occasions in this fort where I had to deconstruct the bed (and once where I had to remove the hospital zone) before anyone would carry them to another bed and diagnose them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: August 20, 2012, 01:44:22 am »

what does hideing items in stock screen do? is there anyway to stop items from showing up in the stock screen

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: August 20, 2012, 02:20:45 am »

Hiding only makes items invisible on the main map.
It was sometimes used to hide the masses of stones, but it also makes buildings dissappear which were built out of hidden stone.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: August 20, 2012, 06:51:24 pm »

Are captured and then trained war animals (cave crocodiles from goblins) safe to release? I think something like that was changed for the latest release?

War animals that you capture from hostile invasions are really buggy if you try to train them. You can train them once, but after that they seem to vanish from the Animals list, and you then start to get "Urist McThreefingers cancels train animal: No such creature exists" spam out the wazoo. (That might not be the exact syntax, but that general idea.) I think they also still act hostile, if you let them out of cages/off chains, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: August 22, 2012, 11:34:54 am »

Question: where should I look for succession games?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: August 22, 2012, 11:45:14 am »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: August 22, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »

How do I get a handless dwarf to be useful? Will he starve?

They will be unable to perform most civilian jobs, but they can feed themselves (and suck booze out of barrels).  If you leave them in a military squad, they will train wrestling, and they will try to bite enemies a lot....  (I think they can't get their armor on, though, so I wouldn't count on them surviving for long, unless they've got really good dodging skill already.)

I believe they can perform some civilian jobs, such as bookkeeping or engraving.  Not sure where to find a list.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: August 22, 2012, 05:18:40 pm »

How do I get a handless dwarf to be useful? Will he starve?

They will be unable to perform most civilian jobs, but they can feed themselves (and suck booze out of barrels).  If you leave them in a military squad, they will train wrestling, and they will try to bite enemies a lot....  (I think they can't get their armor on, though, so I wouldn't count on them surviving for long, unless they've got really good dodging skill already.)

I believe they can perform some civilian jobs, such as bookkeeping or engraving.  Not sure where to find a list.

I'm fairly sure any jobs that don't need hauling ( such as to a workshop, etc ) will work without hands ( that means almost all of the workshops won't be usable ). And afaik, they can't put any armor on, though I've not tried.

JayXdbX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: August 22, 2012, 11:38:48 pm »

Hello fellow Dwarf fortress players who have more experience than I.
I've recently got an ambush on my humble little fortress, they never made it past the front gate and they died from stone falling trap or got captured by a cage crap. The problem is that I'm having is that, my fortress seems to have random forbidden areas inside! I  continue after the attack but my stockpile levels seemed to have been forbidden (not sure which ones) and it seems to make it so dwarfs couldn't use the stair case.

The elves came and i ordered for crafts to be taken to the Trading station. (they might have came before or during the ambush.)
At the building, it was reporting that the broker couldn't get to it. To fix that error, I basically reclaimed every area of my fortress with d>b and then some other letter. I went level by level since i wasn't sure if I could do more than one level at a time. This seemed to fix the problem but then my dawrfs couldn't give good to the building and when ever they tried they would basically be sent away from the building.

I tried more than once to reclaim the building it didn't seem to help. I believe i have some of their animals in cage traps. How do i fix this problem?
Here is the latest save, http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t3z3n06zns7dts9 This is before i reclaimed everything in my fortress. Some reason the game didn't save or i hit the wrong option. But this is basically where all my problems start, after the ambush. I'm trying to be detail, so sorry if it's a long read.

Another question, is their a wiki/web page that details the things i can do with a cage, the goblins I capture in said cages, and cage traps?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: August 23, 2012, 01:24:36 am »

Do you think you could upload the save to the DF File Depot instead? My current internet access has mediafire blocked so I can't get to your save.

As for the cage question, the Cage page on the wiki handles the topic fairly well, with links to all other related pages.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: August 23, 2012, 08:08:08 am »

sounds like you accidentally removed stairs or messed up with ramps to me. Do you have a burrows or civilian alert?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ziga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:33 am »

ok quick question, if i leave stone in my well, will it do anything to the water?
What catastrophic changes in elf society changed their tile from E to e?
Goblin snatchers stole their Shift-key.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: August 23, 2012, 09:53:22 am »

no
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ziga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: August 23, 2012, 10:56:07 am »

ok thanks
What catastrophic changes in elf society changed their tile from E to e?
Goblin snatchers stole their Shift-key.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 422