Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880958 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2895 on: August 17, 2012, 10:07:22 pm »

Liquids don't fall through floors right?
Is the damp/hot stone underneath a pool/reservoir/magma sea actually safe to dig?
Correct, digging underneath a pool/reservoir/magma sea is perfectly safe as long as you don't breech anything sideways.
Edit: Also, how lethal are infections from stagnant water? That is, how long does the dwarf usually live? I currently just use a stagnant water well, because I don't care for pumps and other waterworks.
Infection isn't necessarily caused by stagnant water, it's just not as good as normal water.

Infection chance (greatest on left):
no cleaning>cleaning with bloody water>cleaning with stagnant water>cleaning with normal water
Soap will also greatly reduce the chance of infection regardless of the type of water it is used with.

Once a dwarf actually has an "Infected" wound they are most likely doomed as infections only heal very rarely. However if the infection is a small enough one and the dwarf is tough enough dwarves have been known to survive for decades before finally giving into the infection and dying. Basically think of an infection as a constantly bleeding wound. The bigger the wound and the less tough a dwarf is the faster they will give in, but a very tough dwarf with a small wound can last extremely long periods of time before giving in, well long enough for them to die of some more fast and violent method.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: August 18, 2012, 08:26:41 pm »

How do you butcher captured war animals from a siege?  I want meat and leathers and bones.

Pit room of 25Z+?  Build their cage next to the butcher shop, then assign them for slaughter?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:33 pm »

How do you butcher captured war animals from a siege?  I want meat and leathers and bones.

Pit room of 25Z+?  Build their cage next to the butcher shop, then assign them for slaughter?
1)Throw them into a room filled with spikes.
2)Retract/extend spikes until death occurs.
3)Have a refuse stockpile set to collect corpses.
4)Your butcher should automatically take the corpse from the stockpile and butcher it assuming it is butcherable and not a sentient.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:04 pm »

I always preferred the drop pit - 30 z-levels of plunging and then you get dead meat waiting right at the bottom of the pit. Collect for bones and meat.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: August 18, 2012, 08:35:45 pm »

It just depends which you want more of, more skin, meat, and other butchering products, or more free time since your dwarves only have to haul 1 corpse (albeit a heavy one with some animals) as opposed to 80 individual body parts. The basic idea is still the same though, simply kill the creature you wish to butcher and then butcher their lifeless corpse.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: August 18, 2012, 08:47:05 pm »

would floor grates allow bees in and out?  Or would fortifications be better for allowing bees in and out while keeping other things out?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: August 18, 2012, 08:54:20 pm »

It just depends which you want more of, more skin, meat, and other butchering products, or more free time since your dwarves only have to haul 1 corpse (albeit a heavy one with some animals) as opposed to 80 individual body parts. The basic idea is still the same though, simply kill the creature you wish to butcher and then butcher their lifeless corpse.

In which case, I'll build their cage in the target practice room, release them and let the marksdwarves train.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: August 18, 2012, 09:00:01 pm »

would floor grates allow bees in and out?  Or would fortifications be better for allowing bees in and out while keeping other things out?
Fortifications would work best, though why you need to let the bees out I'm not sure since the only requirements for a successful bee colony are that it is next to an "above ground" tile. As such you don't actually need to let the bees out at all, and can even channel an area up to the surface and then floor it over and the bees should be just fine there.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: August 19, 2012, 01:35:02 am »

Fortifications would work best, though why you need to let the bees out I'm not sure since the only requirements for a successful bee colony are that it is next to an "above ground" tile. As such you don't actually need to let the bees out at all, and can even channel an area up to the surface and then floor it over and the bees should be just fine there.

*chuckle* for some reason I thought they needed access to the outside, I must have misread something on the hives (fairly sure that's where I got the idea)

Thanks
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:46 am »

Have nobles been made lazy again in .34.x?  My newly appointed baron has been On Break for close to a year now.  He was my manager, so I had to reassign the manager position to someone else.

Is this normal, or is he glitched?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: August 19, 2012, 09:43:59 am »

Is this normal, or is he glitched?

I'm not sure, but for what it's worth I had the same thing happen with my baron/broker in my last fort, which I just lost due to breaching an aquifer from the side. Oops. (My own major stupidity.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: August 19, 2012, 10:22:05 am »

Infection chance (greatest on left):
no cleaning>cleaning with bloody water>cleaning with stagnant water>cleaning with normal water
Soap will also greatly reduce the chance of infection regardless of the type of water it is used with.
There's also muddy water, which probably falls between stagnant and clean.

Once a dwarf actually has an "Infected" wound they are most likely doomed as infections only heal very rarely. However if the infection is a small enough one and the dwarf is tough enough dwarves have been known to survive for decades before finally giving into the infection and dying. Basically think of an infection as a constantly bleeding wound.
By vanilla, there are many tissues that can get infected but have no healing rates (see adventure mode complaints about adventurers dying from infected nails...). Adding healing rates to everything might help. In my current fortress with everything modded to heal I've had some infections clear, but one dwarf has had some infected skin for a couple of years now. There's no other injury listed, just that infection.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: August 19, 2012, 12:29:57 pm »

Thanks for the answers.

About the nobles, my baron was "on break" all the time in my last fortress, so I think we can conclude that laziness has definitely been implemented.

Two new questions:

Are captured and then trained war animals (cave crocodiles from goblins) safe to release? I think something like that was changed for the latest release?

How do I get a handless dwarf to be useful? Will he starve? My handless spearman (who I discharged) is getting "Canceled store own equipment: too injured" errors. He has armor on (though he was not in the military anymore) and he has xclothesx. I couldn't get him to do labors (I read he should be able to do workshops and engraving?) but he does do individual training when I reenlist him. (Otherwise he is "No job" with the occasional error). (I turned all his labors on (except mining woodcutting and hunting) but that just gave him fishing errors and still No job).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: August 19, 2012, 12:41:38 pm »

About the nobles, my baron was "on break" all the time in my last fortress, so I think we can conclude that laziness has definitely been implemented.
Your barons are both lazy buggers. My duchess is doing well training as a Dyer, enough to hold up meetings for at least a month.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: August 19, 2012, 01:34:24 pm »

I had this with a baron in a 34.07 fort. I guess it's a glitch however, since it was only in that one fort and all other supposedly lazy nobles like the king etc were accepting jobs like any other dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 422