Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880862 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2775 on: July 28, 2012, 03:34:16 pm »

Oh? I'm under the impression that caravans don't appear until the last one leaves.............. That's good to know then.....

traffic congestions of carts trying to pass one another might be an issue though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: July 28, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »

I'm.... trying to make my railways run down, but it levels off at the first ramp and go horizontal.. I'm going to reconstruct it without the intervening tracks and see how it works....

Oddly enough, dwarves should be able to go on board Tracked Ramps, right?
They should be able to walk on them and they should be able to ride a minecart on them.

Are you making the track go straight down, or are you making a track with one ramp and mostly flat track? Sounds like the former, in which case it'll work fine for transport with no flat track tiles once it's set up properly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: July 29, 2012, 04:16:38 am »

I'm.... trying to make my railways run down, but it levels off at the first ramp and go horizontal.. I'm going to reconstruct it without the intervening tracks and see how it works....

Oddly enough, dwarves should be able to go on board Tracked Ramps, right?
They should be able to walk on them and they should be able to ride a minecart on them.

Are you making the track go straight down, or are you making a track with one ramp and mostly flat track? Sounds like the former, in which case it'll work fine for transport with no flat track tiles once it's set up properly.
The later. I realised what was the problem.... Apparently, when constructed Tracked Ramp, the dwarf levels the existing ramp before constructing the tracked ramp.

So, when a lazy designator like me designated both up and down ramps to be built simulataneously, my dwarves claims it can't find a path......

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: July 29, 2012, 05:10:27 pm »

I just got a message "A Masterwork of Urist McBonecraft has been lost."  This guy makes all my bolts.  Did one of them get lost?  If yes, how come this is the first time I've seen this?  I've been going through ammo like potato chips.  If no, what is it?

Thanks!!
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: July 29, 2012, 05:32:19 pm »

If a masterwork gets destroyed or leaves the map, by getting stolen, traded away or - in case of a bolt - stuck in an animal/enemy, it gives the creator a strong bad thought. This does not happen when a dwarf has made lots of masterworks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 05:34:13 pm by XXSockXX »

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: July 29, 2012, 05:34:50 pm »

I am (kinda) aware of that.  So that's what the announcement was about?  Funny I never noticed it before. 
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: July 29, 2012, 05:41:38 pm »

Yes, there is an announcement. It does not happen often normally, so it's easy to overlook.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: July 29, 2012, 07:55:47 pm »

Can aristocratic nobles (such as the Baron or the King) join the army?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: July 29, 2012, 08:31:08 pm »

They can. However if they die, you don't get new ones. Also the baron has to meet with diplomats/liaisons, that might interfere with being on active duty.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: July 29, 2012, 09:28:57 pm »

I have a dwarf, who has food in hand, but is simply moving from chair to chair to chair and won't eat.  Current job is "eat" and the dwarf is now hungry but won't sit still long enough to consume the food that they are carrying.

Now what?

Edit: Well, I exited out of DF, came back in, and the dwarf managed to finish eating instead of playing musical chairs.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:45:00 pm by wuphonsreach »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: July 29, 2012, 10:43:37 pm »

If a masterwork gets destroyed or leaves the map, by getting stolen, traded away or - in case of a bolt - stuck in an animal/enemy, it gives the creator a strong bad thought. This does not happen when a dwarf has made lots of masterworks.
to correct and clarify
Traded away masterworks don't create bad thoughts

if a masterwork gets destroyed it creates unhappiness of around 200 divided by the number of masterworks that person made. So if a cook made only 1 masterwork so far but it's left to rot in the kitchen (stockpiles full, whatever), you're in trouble. If you have 5000 MW roasts, the destruction of one can be ignored

in the case you've traded away 10 MW silver serrated discs and accidentally melt down no. 11, it still counts as having 11 MW in existence (up to that point, obviously). Why doesn't it count with bolts stuck in goblins? Cause they're enemies. Your dwarfs are fine with traders taking things away, but not with raiders doing the same
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: July 30, 2012, 07:00:18 am »

Is there any way to check the family of dead/berserking dwarves? One of my dwarves failed at a mood and went berserk, killed her baby and is now sitting in a closed room. When I kill her I plan to bury her alongside her baby in a tomb where I later on want to also bury her husband who will be left as a widower. Problem is I can't figure out to whom she is/was married.

On an appropriate note, does killing her start a loyalty cascade?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: July 30, 2012, 08:36:27 am »

Killing berserk dwarves will not result in a loyalty cascade.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: July 30, 2012, 09:12:30 am »

Do dwarves in inactive military squads still get "pickup equipment" jobs? Do inactive soldiers still ignore civilian alerts? I'm thinking of making the whole population part of the military reserves, so they all have weapons and armor, but I don't want them to rush out to take dead soldier's equipment during sieges.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: July 30, 2012, 09:33:03 am »

they are not good at picking up equipment, they'll probably prefer civvy jobs over that but do so if they find time. They still obey civ alerts, as does any military that isn't active military

the suggested soldier is marksdwarf for civvies
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 422