Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880890 times)

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2760 on: July 28, 2012, 02:01:50 am »

Pond turtles are handled as vermin fish. So they could appear out of nowhere in any pond, if you are lucky.

Serum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:28 am »

I've embarked on a site that has a river cutting from north to south through a mountain in a cold zone.  The result is a 25 square wide river running right through the middle with 12 square tall cliffs on either side, and for half of the year, the river is frozen over.  For two years now, all my migrants and Dwarven traders have been arriving in from either end of the frozen river. I have not yet had any Elven or Human traders, even though they were available on the embark screen.  I think this is because, during the time of year when they come, the river is not frozen, and so their arrive point isn't usable.  Is there anything I can do to make any of them arrive on sections of the map that aren't the river?

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: July 28, 2012, 03:11:20 am »

May be just build a bridge, three tiles wide, over the river? Even a quick wood one would do the trick.
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: July 28, 2012, 05:56:47 am »

there are various ways to force traders and migrants to appear in specific spots through building of walls or other blockers.  But it sounds like your humans and elves have no access to any map edge but the one across the river, you will be forced to bridge.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: July 28, 2012, 06:19:40 am »

I've embarked on a site that has a river cutting from north to south through a mountain in a cold zone.  The result is a 25 square wide river running right through the middle with 12 square tall cliffs on either side, and for half of the year, the river is frozen over.  For two years now, all my migrants and Dwarven traders have been arriving in from either end of the frozen river. I have not yet had any Elven or Human traders, even though they were available on the embark screen.  I think this is because, during the time of year when they come, the river is not frozen, and so their arrive point isn't usable.  Is there anything I can do to make any of them arrive on sections of the map that aren't the river?
I am not sure if this still works and I think it only worked for traders in v31.25 (not for migrants nor a liason).
You need a trade depot. Check wagon accessibility (D) and if you have one green tile (small number of tiles) on the edge of the map that will be the spot for merchants to arrive. In v31.25 it worked even for merchats without wagons.
Since elves don't have liason it should be fine.
Humans have only diplomat but (s)he will arrive only if you have human siege.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: July 28, 2012, 06:38:54 am »

yes that still works, but it still doesnt give a civ access to a map edge it cant reach due to the world map.  Its like mountain ranges, if you were further from the river on the same side as you are it would likely be impossible to ever trade with those 2 civs
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: July 28, 2012, 11:02:09 am »

I have a minor problem with merchants......... the human caravan has not moved for half a season. I'm not sure whether its still loading/unloading goods, but on examining it at T, the goods are all still being shown as T even though the merchants have decleared an intention to leave and the status no merchants are trading now is displaying.

How do I get them to move? I already tried deconstructing the Trade Depot and then cancelling it but nothing changed.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: July 28, 2012, 11:14:16 am »

If you traded many small goods, loading them onto the wagons can take a while. Give them more time.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: July 28, 2012, 11:18:19 am »

Yeah.... but this is the first time it took half a season to load....... I'm a bit leery to proceed, because I desperately need to get access to steel. My fort is getting way too wealthy for iron weapons to work anymore........And I'm running out of iron as it is too......

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:25 am »

Don't worry about caravans leaving late, the next caravan can use the depot even if the previous one has not left yet.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: July 28, 2012, 11:32:00 am »

Oh? I'm under the impression that caravans don't appear until the last one leaves.............. That's good to know then.....

New question then. How does one make a multi-level railway track? A steady level of ramps in one direction? If so, how does one designate it then? I having some problems creating my new railroads....

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: July 28, 2012, 12:07:16 pm »

Tracks that span levels are like tracks that stay on one level, only made of ramps and more difficult to doublecheck due to the lack of visual display. Overly long example that might or might not make things click into place:

╞═════════╡

This track is all on the same level. The leftmost tile is E connection because it needs to be able to send a minecart to the tile east of it. The rightmost tile is W connection, to send the minecart west. The tiles between those two are EW connection, to allow the minecart to go either east or west as necessary.

╞▲

This track is a ramped track, and you can only see this bottom part. The leftmost tile is E connection, and then the track turns into ramp to give the minecart access to the level up, which you can't see because I'm displaying this as DF would and it only shows one level at a time. To make the connections easier to see, I'll drop the upramps down through the levels until they're on the same level as this bottom one, and turn them into flat track tiles so you can actually see the connections. Only the upramps matter here -- downramps are created naturally when an upramp is made underneath them, and you can't place a downramp yourself using in-game methods.

╞═════════╡

Voila!

To make the physical connection that you carve the track tiles into (or build the track tiles on if digging in soil), the dug route must be a. traversable by dwarves (if your miner gets stuck at the bottom of your ramp, a minecart isn't going to be able to navigate it any better...), and b. must have no tiles that are connected only by diagonals. Minecarts only move orthogonally.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Serum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: July 28, 2012, 12:11:04 pm »

there are various ways to force traders and migrants to appear in specific spots through building of walls or other blockers.  But it sounds like your humans and elves have no access to any map edge but the one across the river, you will be forced to bridge.

The problem isn't that they're arriving on the other side of the river from my fortress, it is that they are only ever arriving on the ice, and have no way up to land aside from the path I've cut (which obviously won't work when the ice has melted).  There is land on either side of the river on both the north and south edges that they could enter from, but so far, they've decided to only enter on the ice.

I've got bridges connecting all land sides of the map together, and a tunnel coming up from the river, but none of this will help if the elves and humans decide to come via the river and end up not being able to even enter the site because there is water instead of ice.

I might be over-thinking this, It's only been two years, so the humans & elves have only had a chance to come once.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:25:40 pm by Serum »

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:29 pm »

Tracks that span levels are like tracks that stay on one level, only made of ramps and more difficult to doublecheck due to the lack of visual display. Overly long example that might or might not make things click into place:

╞═════════╡

This track is all on the same level. The leftmost tile is E connection because it needs to be able to send a minecart to the tile east of it. The rightmost tile is W connection, to send the minecart west. The tiles between those two are EW connection, to allow the minecart to go either east or west as necessary.

╞▲

This track is a ramped track, and you can only see this bottom part. The leftmost tile is E connection, and then the track turns into ramp to give the minecart access to the level up, which you can't see because I'm displaying this as DF would and it only shows one level at a time. To make the connections easier to see, I'll drop the upramps down through the levels until they're on the same level as this bottom one, and turn them into flat track tiles so you can actually see the connections. Only the upramps matter here -- downramps are created naturally when an upramp is made underneath them, and you can't place a downramp yourself using in-game methods.

╞═════════╡

Voila!

To make the physical connection that you carve the track tiles into (or build the track tiles on if digging in soil), the dug route must be a. traversable by dwarves (if your miner gets stuck at the bottom of your ramp, a minecart isn't going to be able to navigate it any better...), and b. must have no tiles that are connected only by diagonals. Minecarts only move orthogonally.
I'm.... trying to make my railways run down, but it levels off at the first ramp and go horizontal.. I'm going to reconstruct it without the intervening tracks and see how it works....

Oddly enough, dwarves should be able to go on board Tracked Ramps, right?

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: July 28, 2012, 12:55:57 pm »

The problem isn't that they're arriving on the other side of the river from my fortress, it is that they are only ever arriving on the ice, and have no way up to land aside from the path I've cut (which obviously won't work when the ice has melted).  There is land on either side of the river on both the north and south edges that they could enter from, but so far, they've decided to only enter on the ice.

I've got bridges connecting all land sides of the map together, and a tunnel coming up from the river, but none of this will help if the elves and humans decide to come via the river and end up not being able to even enter the site because there is water instead of ice.

I might be over-thinking this, It's only been two years, so the humans & elves have only had a chance to come once.
Then use method with trade depot I described few posts earlier.

Or if they arrive only on river exit. You can obsidianize the end and then carve fortification in it. It should keep floor above fortifications and the river should still work. Be warned that this is only a theory and I never did this myself. Also a little creativity is needed if you want wagon accesibility.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 422