Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880932 times)

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2715 on: July 23, 2012, 08:45:35 am »

Why do the floor grates over the waterfall deconstruct every winter?  It's a natural waterfall if that makes a difference, I got tired of dwarves insisting on fishing from the left side of the stream and landing in the lake.  Ironically enough with the other stream feeding the lake, minus the waterfall, they kept insisting on fishing from the right side of the lake *rolls eyes*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:34 am »

If the water freezes, constructions submerged in water will deconstruct. Happens with wells too for example. Bridges and constructed walls/floors are not affected.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: July 23, 2012, 09:09:56 am »

Hmm, I'll have to check in the middle of winter.  When I checked at the end of winter, with everything else still frozen the area at the top of the waterfall still seemed to be unfrozen, a big standing pool of water though as the lake itself had frozen.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: July 23, 2012, 11:02:33 am »

Not sure how it works with waterfalls, but freezing is the most likely issue here. By the way, you know you can designate fishing zones (with "i") and tell the dwarfs to prefer zone fishing (somewhere in Orders "o")? They might still try to fish in the waterfall, but it could help.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 23, 2012, 11:50:23 am »

Didn't think of that, the floors and grates seem to have solved the being washed away problem, well...for the dwarves anyway.  The human merchants seem to like going for a swim upon leaving.

Another question, more I'm curious than trying to fix anything.  I've had a mayor for about 2 years now, and he hasn't set any mandates, any idea why?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: July 23, 2012, 11:56:45 am »

If you are lucky you get a mayor without item preferences, he will not make mandates. Check the description part where it says "He likes gold, feather wood and gabbro" or something, he probably likes only materials and animals, not items. I usually try to make these guys mayor and baron, so I can play without silly mandates. 20 years of "make floodgates 3/3" can be pretty annoying and are the number one reason why nobles are so shortlived in many player's forts. :)

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: July 23, 2012, 12:34:59 pm »

Ah, I didn't know that *checks* yeah, likes platinum and a few other things but no items.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2722 on: July 23, 2012, 09:56:57 pm »

Do weapon traps trigger underwater?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: July 23, 2012, 10:10:41 pm »

Do weapon traps trigger underwater?
They should, just as cage traps will.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: July 24, 2012, 02:01:45 am »

Can a necromancer in a (built) cage reanimate the dead?

Additionally, is there any way to load tame animals and/or hostiles into minecarts?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: July 24, 2012, 02:36:17 am »

I'm pretty sure the necromancer must be out of the cage. They can reanimate corpses that are in cages though.

The only way to get creatures other than your dwarves to travel in minecarts is to first put them into cages.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 24, 2012, 02:51:26 am »

After checking in the middle of winter it looks like it's the thawing at the end of winter that's doing the decontructing.

Why do the water buffalos continually starve while standing in the middle of a pasture?  Plenty of grass available

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:51 am »

Do water buffalo have a big enough pasture?
They need 16x16 according to wiki, and 256 per buffy is .. big :)

Quick question: I'd like my squad specialized by weapons (spear, short sword..). If I delete the "individual choice melee weapon" (military, equip, enter) to set "sword" for example (W), then they will sadly not use training sword for sparring?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: July 24, 2012, 04:56:28 am »

After checking in the middle of winter it looks like it's the thawing at the end of winter that's doing the decontructing.

Why do the water buffalos continually starve while standing in the middle of a pasture?  Plenty of grass available
grazers also used to have the problem that they went to anearby grass tile, which might be just-grown grass from where they just left, instead of moving to a place of nice, dense grass

Do water buffalo have a big enough pasture?
They need 16x16 according to wiki, and 256 per buffy is .. big :)

Quick question: I'd like my squad specialized by weapons (spear, short sword..). If I delete the "individual choice melee weapon" (military, equip, enter) to set "sword" for example (W), then they will sadly not use training sword for sparring?

they'll use the best sword they can grab, but I'm pretty sure you can set it to using a training sword, possibly through (M)aterial. Why you'd want it for anything but extending the time it takes to execute prisoners... there are no training accidents (except with wrestling, it's all fun and games untill someone breaks a neck)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: July 24, 2012, 05:46:47 am »

I've got a pasture as big as I can get, if there's any bigger please tell me how to get it.  It's around 31x31 if I remember correctly from walling it in.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 422