Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880929 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2700 on: July 21, 2012, 10:47:36 pm »

will I get zombie dwarf sieges?

The player is guaranteed Undead Sieges, regardless of embark subregion alignment, if the neighbor is a Tower.  In larger worldgens, more than one mountainhome gets made.  By tabbing at the embark window and using up down arrows, the player can choose which to use.  Some are at war, sometimes.  Those can be a lil more challenging.  Take care, Knutor

however, if it shows mountainhome in the embark screen as neighbour, yes, it's one that is somehow including a necromancer, expect more sieges, similar as if it said "town" or "village"

My outdoor farm plots keep disappearing. Is it the winter weather or is the Kobold and Goblin thieves popping up?

how happy/unhappy are your dwarfs? they might be tantruming and destroying them. Normal goblins and kobolds can't destroy farms, but sieges that bring building destroyers probably can
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: July 21, 2012, 11:01:53 pm »

Can ambushing necromancers walk over traps?

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: July 21, 2012, 11:14:11 pm »

Is there any way to make children become peasants at an earlier age? Due to the recent sieges I don't have many working dwarves, only a crap ton of kids...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: July 21, 2012, 11:41:48 pm »

You can change the adult age in the save's raws.  I don't remember the exact tag name, but it should be [CHILD:12] or something like that.  Change it to 1 to make them peasants at age 1.

They will have to have a birthday (or the game advances to the next checkpoint or something, I'm not sure when it checks) before they will grow up however, even if they're more than a year old.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: July 22, 2012, 12:02:57 am »

A cage trap should catch him.  Not sure where the haulers will put the full cage with the necromancer inside, however.  Back a couple versions ago, Animal stockpiles, didn't list necromancers or the bazillion+1, possible undead entities.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: July 22, 2012, 12:57:55 am »

A cage trap should catch him.  Not sure where the haulers will put the full cage with the necromancer inside, however.  Back a couple versions ago, Animal stockpiles, didn't list necromancers or the bazillion+1, possible undead entities.
Caged necromancers go into animal stockpiles.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: July 22, 2012, 01:18:04 am »

What is the role of the appointable champion in Fortress Mode?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: July 22, 2012, 06:03:01 am »

Quote from: Mr Frog
what, exactly, does the champion do? Is there any particular benefit to having the champion be a skilled fighter as opposed to some random Urist McSchmoe (in 40d, a "champion" was any dwarf who reached legendary in a fighting skill (...right? It's been a while...), so I'm assuming high skill would help)?
Quote from: Knight Otu
I'm pretty sure (but can't prove) that BUILD_MORALE is responsible for the "pillar of society" type thoughts that dwarves can have.

Yeah, that's right.  The champ makes the traditionalists happy and the others a little grumpy.  I think the only thing that'll influence how good they are at their job is making them more friendly/gregarious so they chat with more people.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: July 22, 2012, 12:19:47 pm »

Hm. Now if only I could figure out how two of them got through my trap corridor...

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: July 22, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »

Hello :)
Why my marksdwarves not shooting the FB?

Z level: forgotten beast, sulcking at a door
Z+1: behind fortifications, squad one, not firing (but equiped since they took off a thief just a minute ago). May be FB close to wall, blind spot?
Z+2: (error on image, it's not Z+3)balcony with fortification, squad two, equiped, bolts, not firing... why?  :' blind spot reported?(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:59:24 pm by Argelle »
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: July 22, 2012, 01:13:46 pm »

Yes, blind spot. They cannot see something that is only 1 tile away from the wall. To prevent this dig a moat before your walls.

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: July 22, 2012, 01:15:40 pm »

How much charcoal does burning one unit of wood give you? I ask because the amount of coke given from lignite and bit. coal was increased drastically in DF2012. Is it still a 1 to 1 ratio?
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: July 22, 2012, 02:15:08 pm »

How much charcoal does burning one unit of wood give you? I ask because the amount of coke given from lignite and bit. coal was increased drastically in DF2012. Is it still a 1 to 1 ratio?
Still 1:1, because cutting a tree always gives you a log, while mining out coal give a 25% chance of usable rock.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: July 22, 2012, 09:14:24 pm »

What is the effect of caravans' wagons bypassing one's site? Less items for trade?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: July 22, 2012, 09:16:14 pm »

What is the effect of caravans' wagons bypassing one's site? Less items for trade?

Yes- the Merchants carry a smaller amount of items on their pack animals, while the wagons hold all kinds of crap. IIRC you can't sell them as much (weight) if they don't have the wagons to put it in, either.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 422