Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881006 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2640 on: July 15, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »

The only time I have DF crash on me is if I do something in DT that I haven't pinned down yet. The game by itself is very stable for me.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: July 15, 2012, 08:04:29 pm »

I have a garbage dump that is next to a channel, thus making the dwarves throw the dumped items directly into the magma on the z level below. I then see out of the blue a fire has somehow consumed one of the (I presume) dwarves who was dumping something. Figuring it's something to do with only being 1 z-level abve the magma, I put a wall around the original dumping level and channel out a square one higher. I've just had another fire start, and this leaves me totally stumped as to the cause.

tl;dr: fires are starting related to a garbage dumping into magma. Why?

Thanks.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 15, 2012, 08:13:30 pm »

Falling objects create magma mist now, which then set your dwarves on fire. You made the right call to make the chute taller, but I don't know why your dwarves are still catching fire.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: July 15, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »

I have a garbage dump that is next to a channel, thus making the dwarves throw the dumped items directly into the magma on the z level below. I then see out of the blue a fire has somehow consumed one of the (I presume) dwarves who was dumping something. Figuring it's something to do with only being 1 z-level abve the magma, I put a wall around the original dumping level and channel out a square one higher. I've just had another fire start, and this leaves me totally stumped as to the cause.

tl;dr: fires are starting related to a garbage dumping into magma. Why?

Thanks.
I've run into this as well, and now avoid dumping garbage into a pit just one z-level below.  Everything goes great for months or years, and then all of a sudden "Urist McHauler has bled to death" errmmm what?  and sure enough, magma death.

And I've also seen goblins survive a 22 Z-level fall onto upright spikes.  Curse you, strange physics, curse you.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: July 16, 2012, 01:12:22 am »

On Pressure-Plates and bridges.

If I have a row of pressure plates linked to a bridge, when an enemy walks over the plate, the bridge should raise/retract yes? When does the bridge go down?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: July 16, 2012, 02:43:59 am »

The bridge will open after a delay of ~100 ticks, and close after the enemy leaves the plate with a delay of ~200 ticks. The precise timing is down to build order.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: July 16, 2012, 09:30:40 am »

The only time I have DF crash on me is if I do something in DT that I haven't pinned down yet. The game by itself is very stable for me.

I've had some crashes, but none on the embark preparation screen (I don't usually view or customize dwarves there, though).

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: July 16, 2012, 09:35:50 pm »

I have a friendly marksdwarf (probably from the last dwarf caravan) that won't leave the map. She's just standing one tile from the edge, with a clear path out. Any suggestions?

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: July 16, 2012, 11:05:26 pm »

Build walls and an artificial pond elevated above it. Build a screw pump. Pump in water over his head and either drown him, or flush him out the end.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: July 16, 2012, 11:11:17 pm »

I've had some crashes, but none on the embark preparation screen (I don't usually view or customize dwarves there, though).

I get constant repeatable crashes when using stonesense and/or assigning 'complex' military squads in splinter-DT. So i quit that fort and started a new one, stopped using stonesense and saved each assignment individually and haven't had any crashes since.

Also, very regrettably my soundsense frequently crashes or java takes up all 4 cores and hangs the system...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: July 17, 2012, 01:31:29 am »

I have a friendly marksdwarf (probably from the last dwarf caravan) that won't leave the map. She's just standing one tile from the edge, with a clear path out. Any suggestions?
If it's a leftover from the caravan, the dwarf will leave in time. If it's the trader bug and actually a migrant, dfhack has a fix. If it's not a migrant and will leave eventually (or die), just leave it. It's not causing any problems (or shouldn't at least).

Build walls and an artificial pond elevated above it. Build a screw pump. Pump in water over his head and either drown him, or flush him out the end.

can't build walls that close to the edge, right?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Cein929

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:46 am »

Trying to train war dogs for the first time and the kennel never has an option to train them.

it only ever has the two options:Capture a live land animal /or/ tame a small animal.

Ive tried only having a pen/pasture around the kennel and ive also have tried only having a train animals zone there. to no avail!!!! halp prease if ya can be so kind :)

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: July 17, 2012, 01:36:30 am »

Hello Cein,
You can now train dogs to war in the (Z) menu by going to "animal".
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: July 17, 2012, 01:37:40 am »

Trying to train war dogs for the first time and the kennel never has an option to train them.

it only ever has the two options:Capture a live land animal /or/ tame a small animal.

Ive tried only having a pen/pasture around the kennel and ive also have tried only having a train animals zone there. to no avail!!!! halp prease if ya can be so kind :)

z menu, animals, go to animal of choice, press h for hunting, w for war training. Make sure an animal training zone is available and that an animal trainer is around.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Cein929

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: July 17, 2012, 01:40:00 am »

ahhh! i see it. thank you both soo very much!!

have a good day
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 422