Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881120 times)

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2550 on: July 08, 2012, 05:30:45 pm »

Is there any way to cancel a completed kill order? My dwarves killed a kobold but now they're just standing around the corpse, and the game doesn't let me cancel the order. I tried ordering them to move elsewhere, and they went, but when I cancelled that station order they just went back to the corpse with the 'kill kobold' order.
there is a cancel order ( I think it was o in the squad menu), but they will usually stay around a bit longer, even thought the order is cancelled.
I know, but it's gray, and even if I press it the order is not cancelled.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: July 08, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »

Is there any way to cancel a completed kill order? My dwarves killed a kobold but now they're just standing around the corpse, and the game doesn't let me cancel the order. I tried ordering them to move elsewhere, and they went, but when I cancelled that station order they just went back to the corpse with the 'kill kobold' order.
Did you try to order them another kill, and canceling that one?

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: July 08, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »

Huh. I didn't even need to. I had saved the game while waiting for answers and when I reloaded it again it let me cancel the order. Thanks, though.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: July 08, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »

Well, I have tested around for a while now and my archers only seems to train when I put the whole squad to inactive, at least that's the most efficient way to get to to spend a quiver of arrows.
If I leave them active they won't do anything even when several months passes , will try to do some more testing and see if I can find some kind of trigger.

Maybe I didn't ask clear enough before: do they actually do nothing with the "go to archery practice" job as activity? or do they still do civilian jobs?

They do nothing.
Switching to inactive seems to get them moving to the archery practice, spend their quiver's worth of arrows, then they stand around idle (or drink / eat / sleep or do some other stuff).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: July 08, 2012, 06:03:04 pm »

How far do evil clouds travel downwards? I dug out a bunch of ramps going down to corridors of varying depths, and while the clouds only travel one level down when hitting a ramp from the side I haven't gotten one to go straight into one of the entrances yet.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: July 09, 2012, 05:57:31 am »

Do dwarves get stuck trying to drink from barrels in minecarts?
Not sure if this is a bug that needs reporting or if it was related to my nonfuctional design of the route.

I've had a thirsty dwarf stand on top of a minecart with "drink" as job for about a season...

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 09, 2012, 06:51:33 am »

Do dwarves get stuck trying to drink from barrels in minecarts?
Not sure if this is a bug that needs reporting or if it was related to my nonfuctional design of the route.

I've had a thirsty dwarf stand on top of a minecart with "drink" as job for about a season...

I'd say that definitely sounds like a bug. There's one reported, in fact, about dwarves eating from minecarts getting stuck. You should maybe go add a note that it also affects drinking, maybe upload a save. For a solution: "Forbidding cart contents or moving it solves this until next hungry one."

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: July 09, 2012, 10:57:55 am »

Quick one:

Is there a better way to halt magma-safe crafts?
(Doors locked, deconstruction of shops inside ordered)
This way when magma safe stones are again available, I can cancel deconstruction, and open doors.
Spoiler: long lame storie (click to show/hide)
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: July 09, 2012, 12:14:05 pm »

Not sure if this is worth writing today, FBI took down the Internet, the newspaper says, to fight a hacker's malware virus or something.  But here goes...  *shrug*

I guess this is the bug that appeared a couple of releases ago?
I can duplicate this in my current 34.11 fortress.

Inactive troopers do Individual Training(IT) on Archery Targets. 
Active/Training troopers do IT with Archery Targets, but fail to change icons.  *bonkhead* 

The militia icon/civilian icons, when switching between Inactive and Active/Training, doesn't change. 
Odd behavior: the dorfs icon doesn't switch. 

Like right now I have an active marksdwarf shooting bolts in Individual Training at an Archery Target, his blip icon shows him as Inactive, but the scheduled status, shows him as Active/Training.   
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:24:15 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: July 09, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »

Well, if a crossbow squad has a training order for a month under either Inactive/Active schedule, and they do not have a training barracks assigned, they will do nothing. An archery target, as Knutor explained is just an assigned target, not  a barracks. So when you assign an archery squad to the default Active Schedule, guess what happens since every month of that year orders are to Train?. They will not do anything if a training barracks is not assigned.
 If you still want them on the Active Schedule to and target practice, under the yearly Active Schedule, assign no order for each month. Seems like under Active any soldier will go individually train/target practice more than under Inactive. Also remember under either Active or Inactive, you still have the same orders you can give for each month
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:16 pm »

Quick one:
Is there a better way to halt magma-safe crafts?
(Doors locked, deconstruction of shops inside ordered)
This way when magma safe stones are again available, I can cancel deconstruction, and open doors.
Spoiler: long lame storie (click to show/hide)

Make a stockpile that accepts only magma-safe stones and a stockpile that accepts all the other stones. Set the not-magma-safe stockpile to give to all your stone workshops. You can still order stone work at the manager, and the dwarfs won't use the magma-safe stone.
If you want magma-safe furniture, delete a link to a mason's workshop and set the magma-safe stockpile to give to this workshop. Then, you can order your furniture at this workshop and it will only use the stones that you want.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Thorakh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: July 09, 2012, 12:56:59 pm »

If I build an up stair on the same tile as a dug out up/down stair, will the floor appear again?

I dug some up/down stairs but I ended up in the ceiling of a large cavern. As far as I understand up/down stairs destroy the floor beneath them and I don't want flying cave creatures to come flying up my fortress. I can't just floor over it either as I need a up stair there.

And why can't I set encrust finished goods jobs on repeat?

Does opening doors take time?

And one more question. If I set the game to no pregnancies, make a world, play it, save it and set the game back to a certain number of children allowed, does my old world get children or does it only affect future worlds?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:46:57 pm by Thorakh »

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: July 09, 2012, 01:18:27 pm »

That's a sweet neat idea to play with links. I don't know why I thought links were unique (one pile <-> one shop) :-\
Thanks Trif :)
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: July 09, 2012, 02:23:49 pm »

If I build an up stair on the same tile as a dug out up/down stair, will the floor appear again?
Yes, up stairs come with their own floor.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: July 09, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »

Adventure mode
Does reanimated corpse (hand, head) prevent bogeymen ambush like normal companions do?
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 422