Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881155 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2535 on: July 08, 2012, 03:09:22 am »

if you edit raw saves it should work without regen. I got snakes to hatch without regen, and dwarfs grew up faster without regen, you just need to get into the save raws
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: quick question .. on stockpile (what a surprise!!!)
« Reply #2536 on: July 08, 2012, 03:42:17 am »

Thanks Garath and greycat.
That's the info I needed :)
The table is a simple listing of categories for finished goods (left)and armors (right) stockpiles.
I'll have now to dig into the long wiki page to make sure about what is armor (defense>0) and what is clothing, because my set up is a wrong one, I set up an armor stockpile restricted to cloth (near clothier's workshop), leather (close to leather's w) and metal (at forges), whereas I should have set up a general armor stockpile near my barracks for the soldiers and a general finished goods stockpile for civilians near dinning room for example :/

finished goods / armor stockpile
armor = upperbody / body
footwear / feet
headwear / head
handwear / hands
legswear / legs

I don't understand your table at all.

An armor stockpile only accepts actual military-grade armor (attire with an Armor Level of 1 or higher).  It will accept helms but not caps.

A finished goods stockpile has several subtypes, one of which is confusingly named "armor", but the armor subtype of finished goods is just upper-body clothing (attire with Armor Level 0).  It will accept shirts and robes but not breastplates.
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: July 08, 2012, 03:46:38 am »

Is there a maximum length for tracks/routes?

I'm trouble shooting my minecart track. I have a stop set at the beginning and am working along the track (set stops and see whether I get an error message). Relatively close to my real destination, if I put the stop in one tile it works, but if I move one tile further, I get an error message. It correctly says track EW and I have already smoothed and then recarved it. I have no idea what the problem might be. Any ideas?

The track goes from level 132 down to -13 and the problematic track is on level -5.    I'm   so   close!

ETA: I solved it! I restarted the game and now it works. Puh. That would've ruined my day if I hadn't got it to work, after all that painful digging through two caverns (killed two FBs in the process) and tile-by-tile track designation.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:05:09 am by JLT »

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: July 08, 2012, 04:36:20 am »

Thanks a bunch, Garath!

Another question: is there a way to make the monarch arrive at a lower population, otherwise than groundbreaking mining discoveries? I looked at entity_default.txt but it only defines the requirements for becoming a barony/county/duchy.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: July 08, 2012, 04:50:50 am »

So struggling with military in 34.11 , specifically getting archers to train at targets, they refuse to do so (the order is go to archery practice though) and weirdly though they only go to practice when I turn status to inactive.
I guess this is the bug that appeared a couple of releases ago?

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: July 08, 2012, 08:25:34 am »

A humanoid Forgotten Beast made of chrysocolla has just spawned on my site. My military of 15 is comprised of a few green recruits (about a third) and legendary +5 masterwork steel-armed and -armored 10-year vets with named masterwork weapons and 50+ kills a piece. Most of them are axe- and swordsdorfs.

The FB has web capability.

How worried should I be about a FB made out of gem?

Very (...you do seem pretty well prepared, though). In short, it's pretty hard to damage, doesn't feel pain, and can only be killed by severing the head, upper body, or lower body. Or so I've read. There was a 5-page thread about a diamond titan just a few weeks ago. Link

In DF2010 I had a FB made of gem spawn (emerald or something). It was very difficult to kill. I used a three-phase approach, and it still took a massive beating before dying. First I lured it into a room with an artifact statue surrounded by repeating spikes. The room also had fortifications on one wall through which my marksdwarves were firing metal bolts (copper and silver - overabundance of tetrahedrite). Once the FB showed red on all body parts, I turned off the spikes and sent in the hammerdwarves. They managed to chip it, but couldn't kill it, so I had to send in axedwarves, and one of them finally lopped it in half.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: July 08, 2012, 08:32:58 am »

A humanoid Forgotten Beast made of chrysocolla has just spawned on my site. My military of 15 is comprised of a few green recruits (about a third) and legendary +5 masterwork steel-armed and -armored 10-year vets with named masterwork weapons and 50+ kills a piece. Most of them are axe- and swordsdorfs.

The FB has web capability.

How worried should I be about a FB made out of gem?

Very (...you do seem pretty well prepared, though). In short, it's pretty hard to damage, doesn't feel pain, and can only be killed by severing the head, upper body, or lower body. Or so I've read. There was a 5-page thread about a diamond titan just a few weeks ago. Link

In DF2010 I had a FB made of gem spawn (emerald or something). It was very difficult to kill. I used a three-phase approach, and it still took a massive beating before dying. First I lured it into a room with an artifact statue surrounded by repeating spikes. The room also had fortifications on one wall through which my marksdwarves were firing metal bolts (copper and silver - overabundance of tetrahedrite). Once the FB showed red on all body parts, I turned off the spikes and sent in the hammerdwarves. They managed to chip it, but couldn't kill it, so I had to send in axedwarves, and one of them finally lopped it in half.
Try using picks to chip away at it. I think someone found that picks work against gem FBs.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: July 08, 2012, 09:39:57 am »

So struggling with military in 34.11 , specifically getting archers to train at targets, they refuse to do so (the order is go to archery practice though) and weirdly though they only go to practice when I turn status to inactive.

are you seeing them as job: go to archery practice when they are set to active? There was an issue with this some time ago in the current version and it was reported too. In both cases it turned out to simply vanish after some time and practice resumed as normal, in one case I think someone built a couple of extra archery targets just before training resumed, don't know if it was related though.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55:13 am »

I've had a similar problem in my current fort, my archers would train only at one archery target out of five (if at all). I rebuilt all the archery targets but the one they were using, and after a while they started using all of them. I had started building the targets before I made the archer squad, maybe that was the reason it didn't work the first time?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: July 08, 2012, 02:22:56 pm »

Did you make sure to assign a range from every target, not just one? Each individual target needs to have a range assigned and a direction assigned.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: July 08, 2012, 04:37:08 pm »

Well, I have tested around for a while now and my archers only seems to train when I put the whole squad to inactive, at least that's the most efficient way to get to to spend a quiver of arrows.
If I leave them active they won't do anything even when several months passes , will try to do some more testing and see if I can find some kind of trigger.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: July 08, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »

Well, I have tested around for a while now and my archers only seems to train when I put the whole squad to inactive, at least that's the most efficient way to get to to spend a quiver of arrows.
If I leave them active they won't do anything even when several months passes , will try to do some more testing and see if I can find some kind of trigger.

Maybe I didn't ask clear enough before: do they actually do nothing with the "go to archery practice" job as activity? or do they still do civilian jobs?

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: July 08, 2012, 05:17:09 pm »

Is there any way to cancel a completed kill order? My dwarves killed a kobold but now they're just standing around the corpse, and the game doesn't let me cancel the order. I tried ordering them to move elsewhere, and they went, but when I cancelled that station order they just went back to the corpse with the 'kill kobold' order.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: July 08, 2012, 05:25:43 pm »

Can you collect FB webs?
What value do they have (I'm assuming the default 1)?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: July 08, 2012, 05:29:24 pm »

Is there any way to cancel a completed kill order? My dwarves killed a kobold but now they're just standing around the corpse, and the game doesn't let me cancel the order. I tried ordering them to move elsewhere, and they went, but when I cancelled that station order they just went back to the corpse with the 'kill kobold' order.

there is a cancel order ( I think it was o in the squad menu), but they will usually stay around a bit longer, even thought the order is cancelled.

Can you collect FB webs?
What value do they have (I'm assuming the default 1)?

yes you can and indeed not high iirc. There are designs ready for FB web farms available... somewhere
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 422