Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881366 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2430 on: June 30, 2012, 04:39:02 am »

I am getting an enduring stream of job cancelations--Urist McNumbnuts has canceled Store Item in Stockpile:  Item Inaccessible.

First, I have no idea how the item got inaccessible.  Second, I have no idea what item.  I've looked through active hauling jobs, but see nothing unusual.  Any ideas on how to run this down?
Are you playing after the hauling update? If so the problem can be caused by your dwarves picking up the bins/barrels when they go to collect things. Basically if two dwarves both want to pick up different socks and put them in the same bin, then they both head towards the bin. Whichever one reaches it first then picks it up, making the second be unable to find it and getting a cancellation error. You can prevent this by making dual stockpiles, one that doesn't accept bins/barrels and gives to a second one that only receives from other stockpiles.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: June 30, 2012, 06:00:47 am »

I am getting an enduring stream of job cancelations--Urist McNumbnuts has canceled Store Item in Stockpile:  Item Inaccessible.

First, I have no idea how the item got inaccessible.  Second, I have no idea what item.  I've looked through active hauling jobs, but see nothing unusual.  Any ideas on how to run this down?
Are you playing after the hauling update? If so the problem can be caused by your dwarves picking up the bins/barrels when they go to collect things. Basically if two dwarves both want to pick up different socks and put them in the same bin, then they both head towards the bin. Whichever one reaches it first then picks it up, making the second be unable to find it and getting a cancellation error. You can prevent this by making dual stockpiles, one that doesn't accept bins/barrels and gives to a second one that only receives from other stockpiles.

I think is must be this.  I upgraded from DF2010 to the latest version about a week ago.  I don't have any burrows or stuff like that.  Thanks for figuring this out.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: June 30, 2012, 06:35:15 am »

My mind is still in 34.07 mode :D :D obvious answer
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: June 30, 2012, 12:09:02 pm »

Could it consistently be creating partial bars?

That's definitely possible - maybe it's using the same (or at least similar) functionality as melting... More study required...

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: June 30, 2012, 02:35:46 pm »

A pump first pumps the full 7/7, but after that is limited to the amount that flows back in, possibly. So a second pump to fill the tile up would mean that the rest of the stack is always pumping 7/7.

Confirm. I've done something very much like this for magma. A pump sucks up whatever is in it's input tile, but that tile will only replenish through flow. Meaning it won't have 7/7 liquid in it. Using two pumps for the input means that more liquid will be available for the rest of the pump stack to work with.

Awesome, thanks! I'm not sure why I didn't see that reason for it working... I was thinking more along the lines that the magma would teleport up the stack or something, which is a bit far-fetched...

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: July 01, 2012, 11:03:43 am »

Unsucceful research, so i'm asking here:
Is there such a thing as a key or modifier to slowly scroll (one tile at a time for example)?
I'd like to center precisely the hotkey area :)
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: July 01, 2012, 03:29:21 pm »

don't think so
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: July 01, 2012, 03:36:20 pm »

This question may be for 40d, but it's not like we're renowned for using anything for its intended purpose.

Anyway, I tried doing the "Make your own weapons!" thing because I didn't have the choice of cheap axes at embark. I only brought one pick because I figured why the hell not. I have several units of coke, 2 iron bars, a bunch of dolomite, a forge, a smelter, and a charcoal burner + 2 units of wood, but I can't queue up any job but melting crap at the smelter right now. I kind of need a steel battle axe and another pickaxe, as I only have one right now. I've already wasted about a month trying to get things straight, and I'd prefer if I didn't have to abandon this location and reclaim, as it's right next to an open magma pipe, which is, incidentally, the only way through my local aquifer. What the heck do I have to do to get me some pig iron?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if my problem stemmed from my Mac.

edit: I literally just noticed that I have a lot of diorite.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: July 01, 2012, 04:01:26 pm »

Is that last part 'I have diorite and not dolomite, never mind', or some sort of joke I'm missing?

Iron'll be fine for axes. It has 100 strength compared to bronze's 75 and steel's 133, so in a fight it'll do pretty well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:00 pm »

(I'm assuming that the mentioned items are what you embarked with...)

You should've taken ore rather than bars, and bituminous coal can be nice too. 1 wood or axe to make the first bar of charcoal (to smelt the bituminous coal into coke) is good though. 1 ore gives 4 bars, plus even more dorfy not just to make your own weapons, but actually haul along loads of ore to make them from.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: July 01, 2012, 05:00:26 pm »

Do undead sieges last forever?

1 ore gives 4 bars
Psst, 40d...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: July 01, 2012, 06:38:53 pm »

Do undead sieges last forever?

1 ore gives 4 bars
Psst, 40d...

Yea, just realised it now when I reread the post in question :P

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: July 01, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »

@Sutremaine, I've never seen the end of an undead siege, working on a triple tower neighbor embark now, to test undead designs.  Just recieved my first necromancer visit, a dwarf mechanic-neck romancer.  Three marksdwarfs and a hunter and 3 hunting dogs chased it out of the zone.  Before anything got animated.  I'm guessing if I can keep driving them out of the zone or atomizing them, I can keep the region clear so migrants and traders don't start getting intercepted, killed and reanimated.

Here's hoping.  *fingers crossed*  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

A Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: July 01, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »

I'm getting this text bug where half a word or name is disappearing and only comes back when I select it. How do I fix this?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:43:08 pm by A Dwarf »

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: July 01, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »

I'm getting this text bug where half a word or name is disappearing and only comes back when I select it. How do I fix this?

F12
DF: where imagination beats animation
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 422