Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881308 times)

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2340 on: June 23, 2012, 10:16:40 am »

They could very well have 40-50 guys on the other side of the river whose squad you haven't noticed yet.
I never get ANY sieges/ambushers/snatchers/thieves/megabeasts from the other side of the river.

I noticed this in my current fort and built a bridge, put up some cage/weapon/spear traps and then raised the bridge and I got nothing. I also put a meeting zone right next to the river so maybe ranged ambushers would shoot across, but nope.

Of course, I cannot confirm this but 8 years and not a single hostile unit later I believe that they just don't come from the other side of the river...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: June 23, 2012, 10:19:43 am »

probably invaders use the same access pathing sequence as caravans use, so they don't spawn on an island or something
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: June 23, 2012, 10:22:16 am »

That is working, I've used it for another tower. Sadely it's located the opposite way from the invaders!
So I'd like to build another tower from inside my fortress, moving my way up.
On the Z level of my fortress, I do have up-stairs constructed:

On the Z+1 level, I design down stairs, but they never seems to be done:

I've been waiting for a while, since I've been baffled already by the way jobs are assigned, I've cancelled and redesign the construction. Obviously, I'm under siege so the burrow my Dwarves are restricted is including the area. I'm out of clues.
Without invaders outside, the solution is to break open a wall and come from outside to build the down stairs.

Ah, I see your problem, there is a floor between the two levels. The up stair reaches up to the ceiling, but if you want to get through it, you'll have to come from above and not build, but dig the down stair.
Now that I think about it, try designating to dig the down stair. The dwarfs might be able to do that even from below.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: June 23, 2012, 02:44:13 pm »

I've got two issues (in 34.07) with the military. 

While using the {s}quads menu, whenever I use {p} to select individuals instead of entire squads, the list of soldiers in the squads is either blank, or only shows a few soldiers, and even then, the letters assigned in the menu (a,b,c,d, for Urist McSoldier1, Urist McSoldier2 etc.) don't match up.

Also, I often set a civilian alert to stay in the fort, but leave my soldiers all on their regular training regimen while I wait and see what the enemy is doing, with my gates still open.  Every once in a while, one of the soldiers who should just be training with the rest, suddenly gets the status "Soldier (No Activity)" and makes a beeline for wherever the siegers / Titan etc. are.  Station commands don't deter them, only temporarily reverting them to civilians stops their suicide runs.  It's rare, and it's only ever 1 at a time, and only while I have my civilians staying in the fort.

Any ideas?  If these are specific to 34.07 and are fixed in 34.11, never mind then.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: June 23, 2012, 02:47:30 pm »

Also, I often set a civilian alert to stay in the fort, but leave my soldiers all on their regular training regimen while I wait and see what the enemy is doing, with my gates still open.  Every once in a while, one of the soldiers who should just be training with the rest, suddenly gets the status "Soldier (No Activity)" and makes a beeline for wherever the siegers / Titan etc. are.  Station commands don't deter them, only temporarily reverting them to civilians stops their suicide runs.  It's rare, and it's only ever 1 at a time, and only while I have my civilians staying in the fort.
Is it possible they could be drawing LOS with an enemy? If so they will charge out towards them and do there best to kill them, leaving nothing you can do except revert them to civilians.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: June 23, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »

it might be the issue that soldiers occasionally visit the places of old station or kill orders when no jobbing
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: June 23, 2012, 03:20:09 pm »

Does population cap counts kid and babies? Or does it concerns only adults?
Because with limit 200 I have 153 adults, 60 kids and 36 babies and they just keep swarming.

Luckily for me most of there babies belong to my 1. military squad (24 years old captain has 3  :o).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: June 23, 2012, 03:29:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure pop cap counts children and babies, not 100% though. Doesn't limit the babies born in your fort though

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: June 23, 2012, 05:48:22 pm »

Is it possible they could be drawing LOS with an enemy? If so they will charge out towards them and do there best to kill them, leaving nothing you can do except revert them to civilians.

Nope, they are in their completely enclosed barracks, with shut (but unlocked) doors leading to the depot area, which still doesn't have LOS to the enemies, sometimes on the other side of a mountain at the mapedge.

it might be the issue that soldiers occasionally visit the places of old station or kill orders when no jobbing

This seems possible, a lot of fighting happens in some similar areas.  This is a known and current issue, I take it?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: June 23, 2012, 06:01:43 pm »

This seems possible, a lot of fighting happens in some similar areas.  This is a known and current issue, I take it?

pretty much. It's not really acknowledged as a bug, but soldiers are known to return to previous station and kill orders, on or off duty. Lucky for me so far it's been the training cell, it may hurt more if it's outside or in a danger area. I saw this happening in 31.25 too. I think it has been reported too as children walking outside while burrowed - following their moms, or otherwise burrowed militia hanging out at odd places (to summarize).

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: June 23, 2012, 06:12:05 pm »

pretty much. It's not really acknowledged as a bug, but soldiers are known to return to previous station and kill orders, on or off duty. Lucky for me so far it's been the training cell, it may hurt more if it's outside or in a danger area. I saw this happening in 31.25 too. I think it has been reported too as children walking outside while burrowed - following their moms, or otherwise burrowed militia hanging out at odd places (to summarize).

Guess I'll need to keep a tighter leash on those guys, figuratively.  Or literally, as the case may be.  At least I know more or less what's happening, thanks!

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: June 23, 2012, 10:49:27 pm »

If I make offerings of green glass useless crap to an Elven caravan, will they come with more stuff the next year, like with the dwarven one? Does it count as "exported wealth"?
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: June 23, 2012, 11:49:44 pm »

If I make offerings of green glass useless crap to an Elven caravan, will they come with more stuff the next year, like with the dwarven one? Does it count as "exported wealth"?
In general the way that all trade caravans decide how much to bring you is by looking at their overall profit, which includes offerings IIRC. As such, yes, offering stuff to them will make them bring more stuff if possible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: June 24, 2012, 12:13:55 am »

In general the way that all trade caravans decide how much to bring you is by looking at their overall profit, which includes offerings IIRC. As such, yes, offering stuff to them will make them bring more stuff if possible.

Good to know. I want to get some rope reed seeds to have a separate farm system for my clothing industry, but it seems impossible to find rope reed on the wild in my embark, and I've cleared the area around every murky pool in the map (the wiki says they grow near water). Dwarves don't bring them, and elven caravans seem to bring almost no seeds at all, so I'm gonna cover them in useless crap the next time they come around, see if I can better my odds.

I'll wait for someone to answer my other question, though, as I want to avoid increasing my exported wealth too much so the liasion won't come and dump a baron on me. In case the caravan comes before someone can answer, I'll make a single glass window and update this post myself.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: June 24, 2012, 03:27:50 am »

you can always decline becomming a barony, though then you won't get to ask for specific imports. Sidenote: humans also bring rope reed seeds occasionally. I think if you use dfhack or modest mod (or put them back in yourself) you can ask for them from the guild representative
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 422