Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881262 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2310 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:41 am »

How do you get the necromancer in and out of the cage, to reanimate?  I've tried this, but once I caged the necromancer, he never came out, unless pitted to a cavern, and then I got lots of undead in the floor of my pit, which open to the cavern 1.  Didn't turn out so well for me, when I tried this.  I'm curious to see the designs of your training and hardening program.

We need more intel on the bronze-clad hammerdwarves, like their skill levels, to determine if any wrongdoing occured.  After seeing a screaming noob kill a 1343 yr old female dragon in legends as his FIRST fight, nothing surprises me.  If those two dwarfs didn't have skills in armor and shield, I would imagine the armor you gave them was more a penalty, than a boon.  But I dunno. 

I lose a ton of recruits, did you look back in the action reports?  That's how I determine things, I miss at first glance.  One thing also, to consider, is those caravan guards are lv6 in skills, at least.  And an axe is a full sized weapon.  Hammer is not.  Mace would be.  Good luck, Knutor
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:12:17 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: June 21, 2012, 09:58:44 am »

link the cage to a lever to release the necromancer when you want to. Break line of sight for necromancer at will by raising a bridge in his face (try not to smash him)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: June 21, 2012, 11:00:21 am »

Bridge, fortification, window, necromancer is the given order, I think. The window is there to protect the necromancer, the fortification is there to protect the window, and the bridge is there to block line of sight as necessary.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: June 21, 2012, 12:43:28 pm »

I built a closed circle of windows, surrounded by a closed circle of lever-linked raising bridges. Then pitted him in from above. Works fine, though I have yet to have any building destroyer zombies.

Military was 2-4 levels in hammer and dodging, maybe armor too, equipped with copper helm, breastplate, mail shirt, gauntlet, high boot, greaves. They had wooden shields. They got mobbed by the goblin corpses and were stunned early in the fight.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:15:39 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: June 21, 2012, 06:26:26 pm »

Dwarves and fluids can travel diagonally in a horizontal plane, but can they also travel diagonally in the vertical direction?

That is:
z=1
Code: [Select]

z=0

Where 0 is an open space (or ramp in the case of dwarves), and . is a floor. Also z=0 could have an open space in the top middle, for example if that makes a difference.
Will the floor stop movement in this direction? (This would be really useful to know when digging under rivers and magma seas.

I believe I was able to move in such a way in adventure mode, between two open spaces, horizontal and downwards.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: June 21, 2012, 06:35:41 pm »

Dwarves and fluids can travel diagonally in a horizontal plane, but can they also travel diagonally in the vertical direction?

That is:
z=1

z=0

Where 0 is an open space (or ramp in the case of dwarves), and . is a floor. Also z=0 could have an open space in the top middle, for example if that makes a difference.
Will the floor stop movement in this direction? (This would be really useful to know when digging under rivers and magma seas.

I believe I was able to move in such a way in adventure mode, between two open spaces, horizontal and downwards.

AFAIK, diagonal vertical motion can only occur when using ramp tiles, so I think in your example, the floor should block movement.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
chance for traps?
« Reply #2316 on: June 22, 2012, 03:59:52 am »

Accidentally I got a draltha loose in my fort. I set up a cage trap but the draltha does not get caught, even though is has passed the trap several times now. The draltha is wild and entered directly from the caverns, so it has never been tamed. Any reason for this?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: chance for traps?
« Reply #2317 on: June 22, 2012, 05:57:09 am »

Accidentally I got a draltha loose in my fort. I set up a cage trap but the draltha does not get caught, even though is has passed the trap several times now. The draltha is wild and entered directly from the caverns, so it has never been tamed. Any reason for this?

Either modded to be [TRAPAVOID], of the cage trap wasn't loaded.

Question: do neighbouring Towers ever run out of Necromancers? They appear to be historical figures, their numbers should be limited...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:03:10 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: June 22, 2012, 08:29:52 am »

I think there are also randomly generated necromancers, but anyway, I don't know how many necromancers are in a tower on average. Maybe the boss was a very popular teacher?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: June 22, 2012, 10:28:22 am »

I have secured a part of the caverns and have now set the loom to collect webs automatically from the orders menu. But no collect jobs are created. I can create a collect job myself, and some dwarf strolls along and gets the job done. But no new auto collect order is created. The webs are located some 15 z-levels below the loom.

Why is this? And how do I get the auto collect to work?
DF: where imagination beats animation

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: June 22, 2012, 10:30:38 am »

Maybe you turned it off? By default it should be on ...

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: June 22, 2012, 10:44:45 am »

No, it was off earlier due to a forgotten beast, but after I dealt with that I turned it on again. I am sure it is on, I just checked. To get to the webs my collector has to go through a quite elaborate labyrinth of traps, could this be f**cking up the path finding? But why should it, when the dorfs can find their way if I manually order them?

It is no big deal, I can manage this myself if I have to, but it makes me curious.
DF: where imagination beats animation

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: June 22, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »

No, it was off earlier due to a forgotten beast, but after I dealt with that I turned it on again. I am sure it is on, I just checked. To get to the webs my collector has to go through a quite elaborate labyrinth of traps, could this be f**cking up the path finding? But why should it, when the dorfs can find their way if I manually order them?

It is no big deal, I can manage this myself if I have to, but it makes me curious.

Sorry, no idea what's going on o.0  It might make the manual managing easier if you just queue up about ten "Collect webs:30" jobs from the manager menu, and wait until it starts giving you cancellations so you know you've collected them all.  Since using "Collect Webs: Repeat" from the loom may disappear if a dwarf cancels it due to you sealing off the caverns, setting a military alert, getting interrupted etc.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: June 22, 2012, 10:12:13 pm »

@vonduus, When you toggled it off, when the FB arrived, the tasks may have lingered in the job list.  Now they are bugged.  When you turn it back on, with the new entries, postceding the older bugged entries from before the FB's arrival.  The old ones are bugged because they didn't clear off the list in a timely manner, because of lag, or what-have-you.  This old ones could be clogging up the autoloom feature.  What I would do, is rebuild the loom.

I've had this issue, with pathing.  And have opened up my caverns density slightly, in worldgen, to compensate.  It also helps with hunters, and trapping small animals /R.  There is a way to cage and setup a silk farm, but I don't wanna spoil your discovery fun, and come right out and tell you that.  HEH! 

In 34.11, I'm having some issues with my Noble not performing their civilian tasks.  Is the Weaver also a noble?  Sounds like its the bugged job list problem however.  Those tasks, linger in there, and I'm not sure if the AI priority checks it enough times, before establishing a dorf to No Job.  *shrug*  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2324 on: June 23, 2012, 04:23:32 am »

I've got an issue currently in my fort where the [SIEGE] tag is remaining even after I've killed every single elf corpse and necromancer that showed up on my fort. I also fed any captured necromancers to my resident Giant Desert Scorpion. Nothing.
One thing to note is I do have a large amount of undead milling about inside a pit - is there any chance that the game is treating those undead as part of the siege for some reason? Any way I can get rid of this [SIEGE] tag?
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 422