Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881122 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2250 on: June 17, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »

But they've been dropping stuff they're wearing, which generally only happens upon death. I think the game checks for death items by checking for worn items that are dropped, and the game doesn't have any code to treat waterskins differently.

This seems to be the cause of forbidden weaponry, btw. It gets 'dropped' when stuck in an enemy, never reaches the floor because the dwarf takes it back, and remains in the dwarf's inventory because worn/wielded items have no interaction with the 'forbidden' status.

Ah ok that makes sense.  I'll turn "Your Death Items" to Claim and see if it helps.  Just gotta be careful about Urist McSlowbro deciding right when Urist McPincushion dies is a good time to upgrade his helmet :P

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
  • What wonders will I see this day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: June 17, 2012, 05:22:18 pm »

My dwarves are using wheel barrels, but they are only placing one log into it then dragging it to the stockpile. How do I get them to put multiple logs into a wheel barrel.

You can't, wheelbarrows can only hold one thing.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: June 17, 2012, 05:32:38 pm »

Ah ok that makes sense.  I'll turn "Your Death Items" to Claim and see if it helps.  Just gotta be careful about Urist McSlowbro deciding right when Urist McPincushion dies is a good time to upgrade his helmet :P
Yeah, you might find yourself reforbidding death items and just checking the stocks screen once in a while for forbidden waterskins.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: June 17, 2012, 06:07:20 pm »

@Damdern, a squad won't equip their uniform, until they are activated for the first time.  Do an s, press letter for the squad you want to activate (a,b,c,etc..), and then t, to activate a squad.  Or use Toady's gawd awful military menu, but that thing, the military menu(alerts), can get freaking confusing.  Good luck, Knutor

Question:  [34.11]
Historical Figures
Dragons:
Olsmo Brandedjade of the Gold of Diamond, youngest son dragon, b. 1204 
Thasafawara Anarafaci a 2012 yr old male dragon, Olsmo's Father.
Faci Caciofi Lirina Rano a 1353 yr old female dragon, slain by a Human, Olsmo's Mother. 

History ended on 2012, some of the conflict log:
Osman Bugiala, "Osman Braidedmatch" human b. 1323 to uknown parentage. 
Update:  2000 axe, must have landed a headshot on the wyrm, I guess.  Doesn't show his attributes or does it?  Found this in exported xml, but that thing is huge.  Looking for more about this dragonslayer...  Still not sure what that Tracking skill does or why its in there with his skills.  But 2000 axe is prolly pretty good, wish I knew the axe he cleaved the dragon with.  Amazing.
Code: [Select]
<historical_figure>
<id>356465</id>
<name>osman braidedmatch</name>
<race>HUMAN</race>
<caste>MALE</caste>
<appeared>1323</appeared>
<birth_year>1323</birth_year>
<birth_seconds72>362471</birth_seconds72>
<death_year>1357</death_year>
<death_seconds72>-1</death_seconds72>
<associated_type>STANDARD</associated_type>
<hf_link>
<link_type>mother</link_type>
<hfid>351707</hfid>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<link_type>father</link_type>
<hfid>351566</hfid>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<link_type>deity</link_type>
<hfid>448</hfid>
<link_strength>17</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>446</hfid>
<link_strength>50</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>443</hfid>
<link_strength>29</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>447</hfid>
<link_strength>70</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>444</hfid>
<link_strength>53</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>445</hfid>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>98</hfid>
<link_strength>7</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>154</hfid>
<link_strength>70</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>160</hfid>
<link_strength>91</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>153</hfid>
<link_strength>35</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>95</hfid>
<link_strength>46</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<hfid>152</hfid>
<link_strength>28</link_strength>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<link_type>spouse</link_type>
<hfid>355397</hfid>
</hf_link>
<hf_link>
<link_type>child</link_type>
<hfid>364627</hfid>
</hf_link>
<entity_link>
<link_type>member</link_type>
<entity_id>127</entity_id>
</entity_link>
<entity_link>
<entity_id>1026</entity_id>
</entity_link>
<entity_link>
<entity_id>1069</entity_id>
<link_strength>56</link_strength>
</entity_link>
<hf_skill>
<skill>AXE</skill>
<total_ip>2000</total_ip>
</hf_skill>
<hf_skill>
<skill>DODGING</skill>
<total_ip>700</total_ip>
</hf_skill>
<hf_skill>
<skill>SHIELD</skill>
<total_ip>700</total_ip>
</hf_skill>
<hf_skill>
<skill>ARMOR</skill>
<total_ip>700</total_ip>
</hf_skill>
<hf_skill>
<skill>TRACKING</skill>
<total_ip>11000</total_ip>
</hf_skill>
<ent_pop_id>101</ent_pop_id>
</historical_figure>
1353, Married to unknown creature.  Married at 30?!?
1353, Began wandering at 30 years old. 
1353, Became a member of The Carmine Faith. 
1353, Confronted Faci, mother of Olsmo Brandedjade. 
1353, Struck down Faci in the Forest of Release. ****WTF****
1356, Confronted minotaur.
1356, Fought minotaur in the Steamy Boils.  While defeated Osman escaped unscathed.
1357, Confronted ettin.
1357, Osman's upper tooth was smashed. 
1357, Osman was struck down by ettin in the Jungles of Bristling.

****WTF**** A 30 year old human with no prior kills or conflicts, strikes down a 1000+ dragon on his first try?!  Luck or Skill.  This is nuts.  What is really crazy is a semimegabeast, ettin that later killed Osman. 

Reading that log made me distrust history generation.  Are female dragons really weak or something?  Pappa and her son are still alive.  I kind of want to find out more about dragons, with Smaug and the Hobbit coming out on Dec 14.  To see if DF portrays them right or wrong.  By the looks of this worldgen with a 2000+ legendary log history, its portraying them way wrong or way weak.  What else should I look up?  Is there anyway to snoop Osman's stats or gear?  Thanks, Knutor
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:28:29 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: June 17, 2012, 07:03:06 pm »

Yeah, you might find yourself reforbidding death items and just checking the stocks screen once in a while for forbidden waterskins.

Yeah, I made a "Reclaim the whole map" macro that I use after sieges, may stick with that.  What's odd is that everyone should have a robe + either leather or metal armor, so I'd hope they'd keep their flasks in their armor, but my dwarves equip their uniforms erratically at best.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: June 17, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »

@knutor
Okay, one after the other. No, female dragons aren't weaker than male ones.
If you want to know more about Osman, you'd have to regen the world, stop at 1353 and try to find him. You could also test the real might of Faci that way.

I don't understand why you're so upset. After all, Faci was able to defend herself for more than 1300 years. Sooner or later, everybody dies. And her life wasn't useless: if you read her history, I'm sure you will find tons of killed adventurers, pillaged cities and hoarded riches. She lived a fulfilling life and even managed to reproduce.
Sure, it's a bit sad to see her dead by the hand of some nobody, getting a lucky strike where generations before him failed. But hey, nobody can live forever. At least she left a legacy of terror to the world. And her slayer didn't get to enjoy his glory for very long.

Also, DF doesn't portray dragons right or wrong. The legends of dragons are pretty much as old as history, and Peter Jackson's adaption of J.R.R. Tolkien won't give you any new insights about fictional creatures that people thought of 3000 years ago ;)
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Damdern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: June 17, 2012, 07:48:02 pm »

@Damdern, a squad won't equip their uniform, until they are activated for the first time.  Do an s, press letter for the squad you want to activate (a,b,c,etc..), and then t, to activate a squad.  Or use Toady's gawd awful military menu, but that thing, the military menu(alerts), can get freaking confusing.

The dwarves are active and training, I've used them to hold a few ambushes, as well as shoot whatever I can trap and toss into my arena, still doesn't work, only 2 or 3 of them put gloves, boots and a helm on.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: June 17, 2012, 08:09:57 pm »

What's odd is that everyone should have a robe + either leather or metal armor, so I'd hope they'd keep their flasks in their armor, but my dwarves equip their uniforms erratically at best.
Try dresses. Same coverage, but a smaller layer size.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: June 17, 2012, 08:20:38 pm »

My dorfs are routinely grabbing a bin from the finished goods pile, walking to the other end of the world, where they put a thing or two into it, and then leave it there. This is annoying. I know they are supposed to take the bin to whatever they want to collect, but why don't they take the bin back home? How do I make them stop leaving half-filled bins around? Or if this is not possible, how do I get my bins back? Right now there are five-six bins at the main stockpile, and some thirty or forty spread all over the place. If there is a siege, all my clothes will be outside.

I know I can just dump the bins, but my dump point is located in my refuse pile, and then all the finished clothes in the bins will get spoiled. I know I can just make a new dump point somewhere else, but then I cannot do any garbage collection. Isn't there a better way?

DF: where imagination beats animation

Flavio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: June 17, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »

There is a way to make layers wit more z-levels?
What I mean is, the first layer, shale, for example, is only 4 or 5 z-levels deep in some regions, especially if I have 3 or 4 layers of soil, I was wondering if there was a way to adapt the worldgen to make this layer a bit wider, with 10 or more levels.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: June 17, 2012, 11:05:34 pm »

@Flavio, I'm guessing you meant to say deeper, or thicker, and not wider?  Those upper levels are determined by river count, drainage and rainfall.  But I dunno.  Maybe play with those, and increase the upper minimum zlevel restriction, before layer 1 to increase thickness.  If you really meant to say wider, to increase the wideness of the F1F2F3 subregions, you have to lower the 0-5000 subregion count, and lower the individual variances for the 6 worldgen parameters.  This will give you larger, less convoluted subregions, when picking an embark area.  I gradually tweak mine down from 5000, once I find suitable variance.  Good luck, Knutor

@knutor
I don't understand why you're so upset.
A 30yr old married man, with no prior combat history kills a 1353yr old fully mature dragon in solo MELEE combat and lives to tell about it?  That doesn't make you raise an eyebrow?  Have you seen the body mass and girth of mature dragons?  I'm hoping Smaug is done right, too.  It must have been a skinny weak underfed, wounded dragon, do you think if I search this xml file, I can find some physical stats on her?  She did have a lot of action, over the years, maybe she was a quadraplegic, wyrm, with lunch cancer, and all her teeth broken.  Only able to gum folks and spit them out at the wall, and toss scary stares.  That's my guess, geriatric powderpuff dragon.

Thanks for the suggestion to play adventure mode.  I'd love to be able to see the axe that killed it and the dragon, maybe in some sort of god mode.  But I won't play adventure mode, to see that stuff.  NO SIR! Adventure mode is off for these old hands, until the Great One gives me an autoadventure keybind, z, like the rogue TOME4 has.

Yes it upset me.  Well not so much that that geriatric powderpuff dragon died.  But a Megabeast lost and a Semimegabeast won.  Bad rolls or bad code, I must ask?  I know the answer, but I have to ask.  Yeah, I'll try to look at it like you and try a smile, Trif, and be positive, but my damn sense of logic, and balanced RPG progression sense is kicking me in the shins, and just keeps flipping my smile.  This shouldn't have happened, plain and simple.  I could see it, if Osman the Human was at least mangled or injured from the Megabeast fight, but he wasn't skuffed at all.  Heck the Semimegabeast pulled his tooth out.  Megabeast didn't do a damn thing! 

That is what saddens me, not that the geriatric powderpuff dragon died.  Like you said, only the gods, forces CSI:Armok vampyrs, and these necrolocks, are immortal.  And they don't take 1000 years to grow, or reach the girth of a fire wyrm.  I was expecting to see the large region, or medium region, singed, and a rampant fire on the map, around that time.  Nothing.  Not even a smited ruin.  Oh well, back to the drawing board.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: June 18, 2012, 04:06:16 am »

That is what saddens me, not that the geriatric powderpuff dragon died.  Like you said, only the gods, forces CSI:Armok vampyrs, and these necrolocks, are immortal.

you forgot titans  :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Flavio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: June 18, 2012, 06:41:43 am »

@Flavio, I'm guessing you meant to say deeper, or thicker, and not wider?  Those upper levels are determined by river count, drainage and rainfall.  But I dunno.  Maybe play with those, and increase the upper minimum zlevel restriction, before layer 1 to increase thickness.  If you really meant to say wider, to increase the wideness of the F1F2F3 subregions, you have to lower the 0-5000 subregion count, and lower the individual variances for the 6 worldgen parameters.  This will give you larger, less convoluted subregions, when picking an embark area.  I gradually tweak mine down from 5000, once I find suitable variance.  Good luck, Knutor

Yes, that's exactly what I meant to say, thanks. The layer count before the caverns doesn't help much, it only makes more gneiss layers before them, I will try to change the other variables, but it's better to make more rainfall and less drainage, or some other combination?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: June 18, 2012, 10:17:47 am »

I'm planning to make a vermin-fish aquarium (using clear glass aquariums).
Is it preferable to tame the fish or not? Is it even possible to tame them without air-drowning them?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: June 18, 2012, 11:17:00 am »

It must have been a skinny weak underfed, wounded dragon, do you think if I search this xml file, I can find some physical stats on her?
You could find her skills in the XML dump, and you can see her wounds (if she was wounded) on her legends mode page. I don't know if you can see her physical stats anywhere, but she couldn't have been that weak or she would've been killed earlier.

Bad rolls or bad code, I must ask?  I know the answer, but I have to ask.
I'll answer anyways :)
Dragons are very aggressive creatures, and over the course of their lives, pretty much every civilization of their continent becomes their enemy. This results in a lot of duels, and usually the dragons win for obvious reasons. However, dragons have a serious weak point - their head. The odds of hitting it fatally are very slim, though - after all, dragons are 350 times bigger than the average human, and they have a thick skin.
Still, the possibility of such a hit exists. And dragons fight many duels every year.
The laws of probability are against the dragon in this case. Sooner or later, every dragon dies in battle, no matter how strong or healthy.

If you look at the kill list of Faci, I'm sure you will find hundreds of people that were killed even though they were more capable than Osman. He got lucky, and it's unlikely to get lucky twice in a row.

Yeah, I'll try to look at it like you and try a smile, Trif, and be positive, but my damn sense of logic, and balanced RPG progression sense is kicking me in the shins, and just keeps flipping my smile.
I can see your point. Dwarf Fortress isn't a typical RPG, however - it's more like a history generator.
Think about the great heroes of human history - Achilles, Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Napoleon or Bruce Lee to name a few. All of them were in positions of huge power, but none of them were killed by a worthy opponent who surpassed them; no, the greatest leaders died either by assassination, treachery or an illness, very few died of old age. Still, we don't remember them for their deaths. It's their deeds in life that are memorable.

This, too, is a lesson of Dwarf Fortress: Death comes sudden, make your deeds immortal. Losing is Fun.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 422