Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881153 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2190 on: June 14, 2012, 12:27:27 pm »

Of course, aside from some promising modding in Modest Mod to supposedly eliminate clothing wear, when I upgrade to 34.11 I hear that armor counts against nudity thoughts.
Previous to the clothing update I turned clothing into armour myself, and it had the effect of causing dwarves to always turn up naked because dwarves won't wear armour unless you order them to via the military screen. Not a problem then, but they'll get pissy about their nudity now. It may be easier to turn most things into armour, but leave one kind of covering each for feet, upper body, and lower body. That's four items per dwarf claimable and wearable, which is much more tolerable.

even with multiple {m}ove orders to station some soldiers over my armor stockpiles, about half of them still haven't put on their steel helms.  And of the half that do have helms already, about half of those are bronze/copper etc., so I need to figure out how to get them to gear up properly...
Use 'exact matches only' and specify steel as a material. This will make them wear steel or nothing.

In .31 I had trouble getting dwarves to wear both metal caps and helms, and that was before they got their own ideas about layering. You might need to make them replace clothing with armour instead of wearing their armour over their clothing, but selecting this option will make them remove clothing even if they don't have a replacement armour piece for it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tubercular Ox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: June 14, 2012, 12:52:09 pm »

How do you clear out dead shrubs so they don't inhibit an underground farm?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: June 14, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »

Of course, aside from some promising modding in Modest Mod to supposedly eliminate clothing wear, when I upgrade to 34.11 I hear that armor counts against nudity thoughts.
Previous to the clothing update I turned clothing into armour myself, and it had the effect of causing dwarves to always turn up naked because dwarves won't wear armour unless you order them to via the military screen. Not a problem then, but they'll get pissy about their nudity now. It may be easier to turn most things into armour, but leave one kind of covering each for feet, upper body, and lower body. That's four items per dwarf claimable and wearable, which is much more tolerable.

even with multiple {m}ove orders to station some soldiers over my armor stockpiles, about half of them still haven't put on their steel helms.  And of the half that do have helms already, about half of those are bronze/copper etc., so I need to figure out how to get them to gear up properly...
Use 'exact matches only' and specify steel as a material. This will make them wear steel or nothing.

In .31 I had trouble getting dwarves to wear both metal caps and helms, and that was before they got their own ideas about layering. You might need to make them replace clothing with armour instead of wearing their armour over their clothing, but selecting this option will make them remove clothing even if they don't have a replacement armour piece for it.

Yeah, I already have been reducing the clothing items via the raws to the bare minumum for a while now :D  The Clothing > Armor mod isn't a big deal for me since I've made it a habit to make specific Civilian uniforms for a long time, so they wear just what I want.  But come 34.11 I'm just gonna mod out clothes entirely and make sure everyone's got a uniform.  Hmm though I may have to keep the basics unmodded and included as you say, for the woodcutters/miners/hunters...  Darn.  Although currently my squadless miners/woddcutters/hunters don't seem to be getting angry about nudity despite me changing clothing>armor (although perhaps since I did it midway into the fort's life, it didn't 'take' without a world regen).

Yeah, I think I'll go back to using "replace clothing" when I update.  I experimented with "wear over clothing" on this fort (my first foray into 34.xx) to see how the clothing claiming works out.

Thanks!

I know you can put down floor over them, then remove it and quickly build your farm plot before they have a chance to regrow.  Otherwise you can hope for them to get trampled down (sped up by setting a meeting zone over the area to increase foot traffic), but that takes a while.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: June 14, 2012, 02:09:38 pm »

Try building a single tile of flooring over the shrub, then remove it.  I think that works.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: June 14, 2012, 04:26:13 pm »

Due to a long a twisted tale there is a Sauropod (Masterwork Mod added Wild Animal) perambulating in the offices, if I forbid passage on all doors will it eventually starve?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: June 14, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »

I have a question.

In my current fort, I have a fully furnished 2x2 bedroom for every dwarf or dwarf couple (1 bed, coffer and cabinet), including bedrooms assigned to children and babies for when they grow up, and a few unclaimed bedrooms to spare.

Given that, why do I have dwarves sleeping in my hospital?  >:(
I don't use burrows so there's nothing fishy going on with those. My first thought was that maybe couples can't share a bed, despite sharing a bedroom, but I checked and none of the hospital-loafers are even married! I also checked their health and they've never been injured or sick, so they're certainly not there legitimately.

What gives, and how do I make them stop?

Edit: They're not military either, so it's not a barracks issue. Just a brewer and a weaver.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: June 14, 2012, 04:46:32 pm »

I believe in some cases a dwarf will just flop down and sleep in the nearest bed, if theirs is way, way far away when the dwarf gets sleepy.  Are they working hundreds of tiles away from their bedrooms, maybe?

Also, to be sure, you've verified that they do have a bedroom claimed / assigned, right?  It's easy to forget to set a bed as a bedroom and think you have several unclaimed bedrooms when they might not be available, for example.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: June 14, 2012, 05:02:43 pm »

I checked their bedrooms. It's how I confirmed they weren't married. But yes, I have empty bedrooms assigned to "nobody" and the entire list is coloured brown to indicate they have bedrooms already.

My fort has a central staircase design. The hospital is one z-level below the bedroom floor. The workshops are above the bedrooms, though the dining room is below the hospital. I guess there could be times when the hospital is closer, but not by much... I'm checking one right now and the hospital bed he's sleeping in is only 4 squares closer to the central staircase than his own bed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: June 14, 2012, 05:09:04 pm »

Due to a long a twisted tale there is a Sauropod (Masterwork Mod added Wild Animal) perambulating in the offices, if I forbid passage on all doors will it eventually starve?

unless masterwork changed it, non-tame animals don't need to eat, so only if it's your own animal, I think
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: June 14, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »

I checked their bedrooms. It's how I confirmed they weren't married. But yes, I have empty bedrooms assigned to "nobody" and the entire list is coloured brown to indicate they have bedrooms already.

My fort has a central staircase design. The hospital is one z-level below the bedroom floor. The workshops are above the bedrooms, though the dining room is below the hospital. I guess there could be times when the hospital is closer, but not by much... I'm checking one right now and the hospital bed he's sleeping in is only 4 squares closer to the central staircase than his own bed.

That's kind of weird. They even ignore z-levels when calculating distance so a bedroom on top of his current bed would seem 1 block away to a dwarf...

Try designating the hospital as a low traffic zone...

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: June 14, 2012, 05:18:24 pm »

Is there a list on how many metal bars are needed to create certain item (axe, shield, bin,...)?

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: June 14, 2012, 05:24:38 pm »

Is there a list on how many metal bars are needed to create certain item (axe, shield, bin,...)?
Can't seem to find it in the wiki. The main problem is that each weapon is listed in the "weapons" page and none have their own pages. For example: You can see that you need one bar for chains by going to the chains page. No such page exists for halberds (yet) and it is not listed in the general weapons page.

Maybe I'll get to work on that...

Edit: Tested, all weapons require one bar. The others, you can find in their respective pages.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:38:04 pm by Yovatsap »

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: June 14, 2012, 05:44:01 pm »

Can't seem to find it in the wiki. The main problem is that each weapon is listed in the "weapons" page and none have their own pages. For example: You can see that you need one bar for chains by going to the chains page. No such page exists for halberds (yet) and it is not listed in the general weapons page.

Maybe I'll get to work on that...

Edit: Tested, all weapons require one bar. The others, you can find in their respective pages.

Yup.  For armor, at least, the wiki page lists the bar requirements for each item.

That's kind of weird. They even ignore z-levels when calculating distance so a bedroom on top of his current bed would seem 1 block away to a dwarf...

Try designating the hospital as a low traffic zone...

I've sort of given up on predicting where dwarves choose to sleep / eat / etc.  I'm always seeing dwarves going into my jail cells to eat/drink there, or crashing on hospital / barracks beds...  I guess they do what they want :-\

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: June 14, 2012, 05:45:31 pm »

I've sort of given up on predicting where dwarves choose to sleep / eat / etc.  I'm always seeing dwarves going into my jail cells to eat/drink there, or crashing on hospital / barracks beds...  I guess they do what they want :-\
I have NEVER had it happen... Maybe it's about the architecture and planning where everything is...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: June 14, 2012, 07:35:30 pm »

I'm checking one right now and the hospital bed he's sleeping in is only 4 squares closer to the central staircase than his own bed.
Is the quality of that bed better than his own?  Dwarfs aint dumb.  They like comfort.  Could be noise too.  *shrug*

Dwarfs sleeping in hospital never bothers me, I paint the hospital beds into a dormitory too.  Why?  For the burrowed chief medic, other doc and a couple nurses to sleep on, while they are trapped down there.  Have ya ever tried configuring the first aid team as a squad, and have them defend the hospital burrow?  It works, cept the nurses won't haul water to /R crafters outside the burrow.  Or go outside it for water.  Keeps them up in there close to the injured, and prevents taking cloth and thread from weavers.  Sincerely, Knutor
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:37:14 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 422