Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881257 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2160 on: June 12, 2012, 01:00:10 pm »

@argelle,
Deeper digs are prioritized over surface digs.  Stop digging down, until Moat is finished, or x away digging work orders to free up miners.

If this is it I need to hit myself. sometimes the simple answers are the right ones
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »

@argelle,
Deeper digs are prioritized over surface digs.  Stop digging down, until Moat is finished, or x away digging work orders to free up miners.

If this is it I need to hit myself. sometimes the simple answers are the right ones

Arent mining jobs done by LIFO (last in, first out)? That means if you keep giving them new mining tasks, they will forgo designations given earlier in time until the new ones are completed. Maybe that has changed though, I remember hearing this waaaay back in 31.x times.
(a>b) ? false : true

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:39 pm »

I have a squad of 10 marksdwarfs breaking Defend Burrow orders, 5 of the 10 are supposed to defend a 1x1 murderhole burrow.  However, what they do is nothing of the sort.  They keep charging out of the goblin grinder hall the murderhole overlooks, to engage enemies.

This is what dwarves do.  When an on-duty (soldier) dwarf sees a creature that is enemy-shaped, he will try to kill that creature.  If the dwarf has a ranged weapon and ammo, he will fire it.  If he doesn't (e.g. if he's out of ammo), he will attempt to charge toward the creature and hit it with whatever he has in his hands.

Military dwarves do not understand "tactics" or "hold your position" or "retreat" or "wait for them to come to you".  These words are simply not within their vocabulary at all.  If you want these behaviors from dwarves, you must design the terrain so that these behaviors will occur.  In particular, if your marksdwarves have a walkable path from the place you want them to the enemy, and they run out of ammo, they will charge toward the enemy.

Burrows will not stop a military dwarf from charging the enemy, either.  Nothing will, except a physical barrier, or loss of line-of-sight.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 12, 2012, 01:21:59 pm »

Arent mining jobs done by LIFO (last in, first out)?

Constructions definitely are, but I don't think mining designations are.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:57 pm »

Thanks, I'm on 34.10 version now, I'll upload a save if clearing up orders from underground does not solve the problem (indeed my miners are not idle, they dig when not drinking/eating/sleeping).
In jobs list, channelling is listed as "dig", right?

EDIT [SOLVED]: at least, after so long, once underground mining jobs were exhausted, the miners accept to channel. Well, start channelling, and say "I may come back later to finish since the electrician must come first". Sorry non, that was in real life with craftmen at my home.
In the job list, you're right, it's listed "channel", and apparently, when it's not near to be done, it's not visible in the list.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:24:47 am by Argelle »
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:43 pm »

"Dig Channel" if I recall correctly.  Separate from "Dig", which is any horizontal tunneling, or "Carve Up/Down Staircase", etc.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:23:01 pm by greycat »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:53 pm »

mining is definately not lifo or fifo but just like trees generally start top left and work down in strips. Designate a level for clearcutting or mine out a whole soil level and you'll see the pattern. I'm thinking web collection works similar, but not sure on that since I usually disable it.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 12, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »

mining is definately not lifo or fifo but just like trees generally start top left and work down in strips. Designate a level for clearcutting or mine out a whole soil level and you'll see the pattern. I'm thinking web collection works similar, but not sure on that since I usually disable it.

Oh right, there was this in 34.11
(*) Worker chooses the closest tile instead of preferring tile at the top left of each designation job location (they don't use path distance, nor does this impact global behavior like choosing which designation job is picked overall)

I must have thought of construction orders there.
(a>b) ? false : true

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 12, 2012, 05:30:50 pm »

They keep charging out of the goblin grinder hall the murderhole overlooks, to engage enemies.
Burrows will not stop a military dwarf from charging the enemy, either.  Nothing will, except a physical barrier, or loss of line-of-sight.
I find it hard, to reason, well a reason, to code the Defend Burrow feature, if its just going to act like an afixed Station or a one waypoint Patrol command.  How do you justify the addition of Defend Burrow, if it doesn't work like other burrows during a military encounter?  Why go to the trouble to include Defend Burrow as an option?  I dunno.  I believe you, however.  The science here on my end, agrees with your statements.  I'm glad its not some setting, I've forgotten.

I'll have to change the murderhole burrow design and monthly training schedules.  Maybe I'll keep them inactive, until I net a goblin in the grinder.  Then the flapping hatches as the goblin gets ground up will stop this burrow leaving dumb AI from executing.  I know kiddies ignore burrows.  Its news to me that engaged soldiers do aswell. 

Thank you for response, its nice to know, its not just me or the game, that is to blame.  I can start another fortress now, with peace of mind.  Thank you, Knutor 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 12, 2012, 05:52:32 pm »

Oh right, there was this in 34.11
(*) Worker chooses the closest tile instead of preferring tile at the top left of each designation job location (they don't use path distance, nor does this impact global behavior like choosing which designation job is picked overall)

I must have thought of construction orders there.

no, you're quite right, but it only affects from where they will do their job, not which job they take first

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 12, 2012, 09:27:28 pm »

Will trained animals (and working) reproduce just like penned animals?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »

Yes, however, I noticed the higher value animals, don't reproduce as fast, and some require nest boxes, like the black mamba.  My SCIENCE shows bats need underground pens. 

Aslong as their is a male visiting the region somewhere, a female can give birth.  You don't have to have a tame male. 

My elk birds didn't seem to want to reproduce, and I even gave them nest boxes.  So some maynot.  I may not have waited long enough.  It took about nine seasons for a giant female bat I had once to reproduce.  And it had only 1 baby, but that wasn't with this version.  *shrug*  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 12, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »

Anyone knows what affects the new mining drop rates? I was stunned when my  newly imported fort didn't strip mine my oh so delicious iron column, lovingly left intact until legendary miners were trained became barren.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 12, 2012, 11:16:08 pm »

Anyone knows what affects the new mining drop rates? I was stunned when my  newly imported fort didn't strip mine my oh so delicious iron column, lovingly left intact until legendary miners were trained became barren.

It's 25% all around with no variation based on skill. Skill only changes speed now.

It's 100% with small clusters, however. (Gems, horn silver, etc.)

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 13, 2012, 12:57:21 am »

Thanks knutor
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 422