Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881299 times)

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2130 on: June 10, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »

Has anyone empirically determined the minimum number of z-levels to guarantee a kill when you pit hostiles? I just threw a bunch of disarmed goblins (normal, not elites) down a 15z drop and most of them survived.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: June 11, 2012, 01:40:00 am »

Has anyone empirically determined the minimum number of z-levels to guarantee a kill when you pit hostiles? I just threw a bunch of disarmed goblins (normal, not elites) down a 15z drop and most of them survived.

It's been nerfed greatly, guaranteed instakill depth is now about 40 z. But placing upright spikes at the bottom still works, so even the 15z can be made lethal.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:46 am »

so we must now throw something halfway down to the magma sea for guaranteed kills? Dig deeper my friends!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: June 11, 2012, 03:30:36 am »

Does making obsidian short swords at the craftsdwarf's workshop train Weaponsmith skill, or Stonecrafter skill?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:47 am »

Does making obsidian short swords at the craftsdwarf's workshop train Weaponsmith skill, or Stonecrafter skill?

since it's made in a craft workshop and contains no metal whatsoever, what do you think?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:43 am »

since it's made in a craft workshop and contains no metal whatsoever, what do you think?

I think that material has no bearing on the situation, and it comes down to workshop (craft) vs item type (weapon).

A genuine answer would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:57:52 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: June 11, 2012, 04:02:53 am »

you're right, sorry

I'd say stonecrafting since metal smithing makes no sense. The only exception to common sense I know of is metal cages being made at a forge with the trap skill

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: June 11, 2012, 07:15:05 am »

What skill is being trained with "Combat training"? Is it fighting?

Edit: Also, about how many experience points are gained in each session of "combat training" or demonstrations? [Assuming the teacher has little teacher skill, and about ~6 levels in the skill being taught.]

These two threads may help explain it a bit more on 'Sparring' vs. "Demonstrations" vs. 'Individual Combat Training'.  The gist of it, as I understand it, is that "Individual Combat Training" trains all of the combat skills a little bit, but not much.

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: June 11, 2012, 08:28:27 am »

I'd say stonecrafting since metal smithing makes no sense. The only exception to common sense I know of is metal cages being made at a forge with the trap skill

Also, metal mechanisms are made at the forge with the mechanic skill. And wooden animal traps are made with the trapping skill at the carpenter's shop as well. Metalsmithing doesn't make sense, but weaponsmith might.

EDIT: Wiki says that stonecrafter is the correct skill.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:33:34 am by saintjebus »

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: June 11, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »

I got this far as to assign animal (war dog -> military, hunting dog -> hunter) but how do I know a dwarf have yet or doesn't have an animal other than by "Z" - > Animal ? (quite a loooong list)

If (V)iewing a dwarf, where's his assigned animal?

(i)nventory is clear of animals, unless a unwashed-old-mushroom-growing pair of socks is concidered alive or tame :)
(p) and (e) gives a list of animal to assign
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: June 11, 2012, 01:10:35 pm »

pretty sure assigned animals show up in relations. Or not?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: June 11, 2012, 01:13:57 pm »

Doesnt it say "X animals assigned" (to this dwarf) when in that menu, somewhere on the bottom of the screen? It used to...

(a>b) ? false : true

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: June 11, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »

pretty sure yeah, forgot that. I don't usually assign animals due to the problems with unhappy thoughts

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #2143 on: June 11, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »

Doesnt it say "X animals assigned" (to this dwarf) when in that menu, somewhere on the bottom of the screen? It used to...
It does, but that display is currently bugged and does not always update correctly when changing between dwarfs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: June 11, 2012, 04:59:11 pm »

What's the minimum amount of clothing I can get away with producing? I'm hoping to limit production to shoes, robes, and gloves (for safe hauling). Will dwarves complain about no lower body covering even though robes have [LBSTEP:MAX]?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 422