Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881381 times)

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2085 on: June 07, 2012, 10:41:27 am »

Do you have a economy yet? Your dwarves might not be able to afford the masterful meals.
The economy has been disabled for a long time now.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:33 am »

What's the simplest way to see to it that your brewer makes different kinds of booze? I have numerous brewable plants in my food stockpiles, but all of my dwarves are consistently having the "sick of drinking the same old booze" thought.

To see what he is brewing at the moment: press 't' and hover of the still, it'll show what kind of items are in the shop, including the plants he is currently using. As said, if you want him to stop making dwarven wine, go into the kitchen tab in the z-screen.

Oddly, the biggest issue for me is that all my dwarves seem to go far out of their way to go eat the plump helmets in my farming / brewing stockpile, instead of the giant pile of masterful prepared meals directly adjacent to my enormous dining hall.  There are seeds all over my beautiful dining hall... any idea why they seem to actively avoid eating the prepared meals?

Do you have a economy yet? Your dwarves might not be able to afford the masterful meals.

Whaaaaaa??? The economy was put back into place?  I really have been away from DF too long!  I had just begun to assume Toady was never gonna get all the glitches out of it...

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 07, 2012, 10:44:32 am »

Do werecursed dwarves still eat and drink?

Yes, they do.  They're different from vampires and necromancers.

Oh, and no, there's no economy currently.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 07, 2012, 10:46:14 am »

I seriously doubt a fancy ramp design gives any significant performance increase over a simple up/down stair shaft.  I don't think any science has been done on this in 0.34.x at all.

I have always just used up/down stairs so can't vouch either way, but here's a thread that at least has a bunch of anecdotal evidence.  I'm in the process of slowly replacing stairs with ramps in my fort to see if I notice any effect...

That thread was from just before the release of 0.34.  I don't really think there are huge changes in the core pathfinding code, but there might be some auxiliary changes that could be significant.  Consolidated hauling (get bin, go to workshop, put 8 items in bin, vs. 8 dwarves each taking 1 item from workshop) is the one that springs to mind first.

I look forward to seeing your results, though.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: June 07, 2012, 10:46:40 am »

Apologies, I forgot that it was disabled. Haven't played lately and my fortresses almost never make it to where the economy would kick in. And I saw options for turning it off in init when I set up my new version so I guess I just sorta assumed... *shrugs*

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: June 07, 2012, 11:21:44 am »

I seriously doubt a fancy ramp design gives any significant performance increase over a simple up/down stair shaft.  I don't think any science has been done on this in 0.34.x at all.

I have always just used up/down stairs so can't vouch either way, but here's a thread that at least has a bunch of anecdotal evidence.  I'm in the process of slowly replacing stairs with ramps in my fort to see if I notice any effect...

That thread was from just before the release of 0.34.  I don't really think there are huge changes in the core pathfinding code, but there might be some auxiliary changes that could be significant.  Consolidated hauling (get bin, go to workshop, put 8 items in bin, vs. 8 dwarves each taking 1 item from workshop) is the one that springs to mind first.

I look forward to seeing your results, though.

Well, don't hold your breath  :-\; once I figure out some good ramp designs I plan to replace all the stairs in a single sweep, if possible, and note any differences, but this is in an active fort, so there is so much outside influence the results won't be very objective...

If I had more time I could spend on DF I'd totally want to make a "test fort" solelyfor this kinda thing, but it's hard enough to find time just to get attacked by goblins and zombies as it is :D

EDIT:

Apologies, I forgot that it was disabled. Haven't played lately and my fortresses almost never make it to where the economy would kick in. And I saw options for turning it off in init when I set up my new version so I guess I just sorta assumed... *shrugs*

Spoiler: :D (click to show/hide)

EDIT2, THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL RELEVANT:

Is enemy zombies dwarves stuffing up all my coffins a bug, or working as intended?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:32:53 am by Xen0n »

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: June 07, 2012, 11:43:16 am »

Is the wiki wrong about economy not kikiing in? Not that I reach yet the state at which it may starts. From a long shot.
Walking away rambling about gobelins trashingagain a nice decent fortress...

In the current version, there are no conditions under which the economy will activate. Toady One has stated that it may come back in after sweeping changes are made to make it less broken.

Forget this message, overflow of 10 others while typing it :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:46:44 am by Argelle »
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: June 08, 2012, 02:23:46 am »

Don't want to make another topic so I'll ask here. Is there a tilepack which shows fluid depths (1-7 tiles)?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: June 08, 2012, 02:32:14 am »

I'm pretty sure it can be toggled in the init files or in dfhack, though that is for vanilla, I don't know how with graphics packs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: June 08, 2012, 02:40:50 am »

Don't want to make another topic so I'll ask here. Is there a tilepack which shows fluid depths (1-7 tiles)?
It can be done without one. It was in the init file if I'm not mistaken. Lemme check.

d_init.txt

Change [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:NO] no to [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:YES]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:42:35 am by Yovatsap »

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: June 08, 2012, 06:36:14 am »

I haven't played DF for a few months. I just downloaded the latest version and started playing again.

All was going well until the first caravan showed up. I went to transfers the usual things that I create for trade - cut gems and stone crafts. But only the gems (along with all the "normal" stuff) appeared in the list to transfer to the trade depot.
I checked my stock and there are lots of crowns and sceptres and alike, but I can't see them anywhere in the list to move to the depot.

What's going on? Has something changed in this area?

I was surprised to see wheelbarrows too, but that's another story... :)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: June 08, 2012, 06:48:54 am »

I think I've asked this before, but just to refresh my memory, will marksdwarves shoot at stuff on the other side of a window?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: June 08, 2012, 06:58:40 am »

Well, they can see it, but they can't shoot through the window. That's why fortifications exist.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: June 08, 2012, 07:27:25 am »

I know they can't shoot through, but I wondered whether they attempt to in any case.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: June 08, 2012, 08:22:36 am »

I checked my stock and there are lots of crowns and sceptres and alike, but I can't see them anywhere in the list to move to the depot.

What's going on? Has something changed in this area?

Has your mayor banned the export of certain craft types? Bins containing any banned items are excluded from the transfer screen, but can be included with [m]. If not, crafts etc. will be in "Finished Goods" bins which you can find by [s]earching for "fin". You can examine the exact contents of the bins in the transfer screen.

If you set up a stockpile next to your depot that takes only your intended trade goods, this will save you time in the long run.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 422