Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881474 times)

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1995 on: June 01, 2012, 08:50:30 am »

When creating artificial underground forest does it matter how high is a ceiling?
Does trees grow more often/faster in 2 z-levels high room then in 1 level high? Or is it better to create 2 rooms instead of 1 high.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: June 01, 2012, 09:01:37 am »

Having space above the tree does nothing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 01, 2012, 09:20:33 am »

Yet
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: June 01, 2012, 11:31:43 am »

Can you operate a pump stack partly with energy from waterwheels/windmills and with dwarfpower?
Say I have 20 pumps, but only power for 15 - could 5 dwarves help out at the other end?
(a>b) ? false : true

Isileth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: June 01, 2012, 12:17:00 pm »

If I create multiple overlapping barracks and assign a separate squad to each will soldiers train with those not in their squad. I'm assuming (and hoping) not, but ive searched the wiki and this forum without finding an answer to it.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: June 01, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »

If I create multiple overlapping barracks and assign a separate squad to each will soldiers train with those not in their squad. I'm assuming (and hoping) not, but ive searched the wiki and this forum without finding an answer to it.

I'm very sure they will not. I do that quite often and have never seen inter-squad demonstrations or even sparring.
(a>b) ? false : true

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: June 01, 2012, 01:15:13 pm »

What's the point?  Why not just create one barracks, and assign all the squads to it?  They'll still only train within a squad, not inter-squad, even if they share a barracks.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Isileth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: June 01, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »

I was just under the impression they trained with anyone in their barracks. Certainly thats how I read it on the wiki
Multiple barracks can overlap to serve the needs of several different squads.
Thats why I asked my original question, since it stated making multiple barracks yet no comment on training within them.

But since that's not the case it doesn't matter, thanks for the quick answers.

Funiculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: June 01, 2012, 02:02:21 pm »

Question on laying tracks;

I have a north-south running line and a channeled space from the floor above at the north end with the intention of connecting to a north-south running line on the floor above.  What is the appropriate track ramp? (N),(S), or (NS)?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: June 01, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »

Haven't updated from 34.07 yet; is there any difference between setting Stockpile A to (t)ake from Stockpile B, or setting Stockpile B to (g)ive to Stockpile A?  I know at least in 34.07 that a stockpile can only have 1 other stockpile taking from it, but I'm assuming using the (g)ive ability ups that functional limit to 2, in a way?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: June 01, 2012, 02:38:26 pm »

I was just under the impression they trained with anyone in their barracks. Certainly thats how I read it on the wiki
Multiple barracks can overlap to serve the needs of several different squads.

Which page?  Training?  No... Barracks?  Aha.  Wow.  No wonder you were confused... that was written pretty badly!

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #2006 on: June 01, 2012, 03:27:09 pm »

Haven't updated from 34.07 yet; is there any difference between setting Stockpile A to (t)ake from Stockpile B, or setting Stockpile B to (g)ive to Stockpile A?  I know at least in 34.07 that a stockpile can only have 1 other stockpile taking from it, but I'm assuming using the (g)ive ability ups that functional limit to 2, in a way?
Setting Stockpile B to take from Stockpile A sets Stockpile A to give to Stockpile B.  It's the exact same relationship.

There is now no (known) limit on how many stockpiles (or workshops) a stockpile can give to or take from.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: June 01, 2012, 03:43:18 pm »

Setting Stockpile B to take from Stockpile A sets Stockpile A to give to Stockpile B.  It's the exact same relationship.

There is now no (known) limit on how many stockpiles (or workshops) a stockpile can give to or take from.

Thanks!  This now excites me more than minecarts about my eventual update :D

EDIT:    I've just learned that it's possible to assign multiple <o>rders to a single squad each month in the Military Schedule screen.  I'm planning to combine all my 2-dwarf squads into 10-dwarf squads, each with five "Train (2 minimum)" orders each month.

Question:  in the above situation, what happens if the squad has less than 10 dwarves?  Say, just 4 dwarves?  Do they freak out that 3 of the orders can't be fulfilled that month?  Furthermore, if I had a bunch of different orders set for that month (4 dwarves defend this burrow, 2 dwarves train, 4 dwarves patrol this route), but not enough dwarves, how do they decide which orders to follow?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:01:43 pm by Xen0n »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: June 01, 2012, 08:43:51 pm »

Question on laying tracks;

I have a north-south running line and a channeled space from the floor above at the north end with the intention of connecting to a north-south running line on the floor above.  What is the appropriate track ramp? (N),(S), or (NS)?

(NS Ramp)

Ramps work just like any other track pieces, the direction tells you which tiles the track connects with. A track with only one letter, N, S, W or E, are end pieces.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: June 02, 2012, 02:28:14 am »

Question:  in the above situation, what happens if the squad has less than 10 dwarves?  Say, just 4 dwarves?  Do they freak out that 3 of the orders can't be fulfilled that month?  Furthermore, if I had a bunch of different orders set for that month (4 dwarves defend this burrow, 2 dwarves train, 4 dwarves patrol this route), but not enough dwarves, how do they decide which orders to follow?

I really have no clue, but I'd consider them to do the worst possible combination of things.
Most likely they do it in the order the orders are listed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 422