Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881537 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1935 on: May 27, 2012, 09:51:06 pm »

you'll have to rely on the children which take a pretty damn long time to grow up (12 years?), and when they do, they start with no skills whatsoever.

They might pick up a skill from a mood, if you're lucky.  Otherwise, if you keep the default settings, they'll probaby have some Farming (Planting) skill from harvests.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: May 27, 2012, 11:10:14 pm »

Dig a channel around your embark, leave the slopes in place.  Fill the channel with traps, then build a drawbridge that opens sideways instead of to the top or bottom.  No caravan, drawbridge is up, things need walk through the trap channel to get in.  Caravan comes, lower the drawbridge, caravan passes over it.  Or would that not work?  I'm new.

I think that won't work. You need to have a wagon path available at the time the traders arrive, and you don't know exactly when that will be. So using that plan, you will get the message that they didn't bring the wagons because there is no wagon access route.

You would need to leave the bridge down normally, so that when the traders arrive, there is a wagon route available. If invaders arrive, then you can put the bridge up.

Probably the easiest solution is to make a wagon path which is not a direct route from the edge of the map. So for example, start the wagon path near the south edge of the map, and make it run to the west. Then turn the path and make it go northeast to the depot. This will make the wagon path be longer than a direct route, so hopefully invaders would take the direct route rather than the wagon path.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 28, 2012, 12:50:36 am »

I'm a little confused about the new taming system. Looks like the dungeon master is gone, does [PET_EXOTIC] still do anything? Also, will vermin need to be continuously retrained or is there a way to domesticate them? How about if they're exotic, like the wambler?
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 28, 2012, 01:32:38 am »

Dig a channel around your embark, leave the slopes in place.  Fill the channel with traps, then build a drawbridge that opens sideways instead of to the top or bottom.  No caravan, drawbridge is up, things need walk through the trap channel to get in.  Caravan comes, lower the drawbridge, caravan passes over it.  Or would that not work?  I'm new.

It can work - sort of. If you remember to open the bridge before the last month of each season (YMMV) other than winter (elves - spring, humans - summer, dwarves - autuumn).
I have a similar setup, although without traps - just a route through my barracks. From time to time you forget to lower the bridge and you get no caravan, so what.
(a>b) ? false : true

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 28, 2012, 02:35:08 am »

I want to start a fort with the pop cap set to 0 so I won't get migrants after the hard-coded waves.

My question is; what problems would I encounter in such a case?

0 may be a bugged value meaning no cap. Set it to 1.

K then. Thanks for the heads up. But still I need some speculations as to what would happen? Would I be defenseless against attacks or anything like that?
Well, your created wealth normally decides both migrant wave size and how many attackers come to your fort but in this case it will only hinder you. I would not create unneeded wealth unless you're prepared to turtle, lost dwarves will be hard to replace without migrants, you'll have to rely on the children which take a pretty damn long time to grow up (12 years?), and when they do, they start with no skills whatsoever.

I thought baby dwarves learned some skills as they hung out with their parents while they do the jobs?

Edit: In fact I have some dwarf children in my fort with novice in some skills. Would migrant babies be able to have any skills or something?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:32:51 am by Yovatsap »

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 28, 2012, 03:49:49 am »

I thought baby dwarves learned some skills as they hung out with their parents while they do the jobs?

Edit: In fact I have some dwarf children in my fort with novice in some skills. Would migrant babies be able to have any skills or something?
I don't think so. If it isn't in the game, it totally should be, it makes good sense from an intuitive as well as a gameplay point of view. They'll do some specific labors (harvesting and tearing down walls, off the top of my head) and gain levels in those skills. What skills do they have anyway? Were they born in your fort or did they arrive as migrants?
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 28, 2012, 10:31:54 am »

Alright, I know it's all probably been asked before...  But this is my first foray into 34.10 here.  I tried the search function and couldn't find what I was looking for.  I tried the wiki and it is woefully inadequate at providing the information.

I have two issues:

1.  How does mining work now?  I have two Miners now who have done enough mining to have been producing stones on pretty much EVERY block they destroy...  But I'm still at the same 1 stone for every 12-15 blocks I mine.  I don't SEEM to be short of any kind of stone as in the first season of my fortress I created hundreds of doors...  But this kind of confuses me.  I shouldn't have as much stone as that because I don't see as much...  And I should be getting far more usable stone than I'm getting.  Was there a drastic change somewhere along the line?  If so... what was it?  Will I need to dig out entire Z-Levels to get enough stone to use for the things I normally create (walls, etcetera)?

2.  I am in Autumn of my first year in the fortress.  I've recieved 3 migrant waves and am still getting my place set-up.  I just got a booze/farming industry in place and haven't had time to designate some people into a military yet...  And I got a zombie to show up on the edge of my map.  I have no defenses in place yet (other than walls and floor to preveng flyers from gaining access to the underground).  How do I deal with this threat so EARLY in the game?  I must have pretty bad luck to have this happen.  Would drafting my two miners and one woodcutter into the military help at all?  Or are zombies still severely OP in this version?
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 28, 2012, 10:39:01 am »

About question #1:
You should maybe read the changelogs, or at least the lines about major changes. As of late, there have been quite a lot of those.
34.08 (afaik) introduced a new mining system. Mining's success in creating a stone/ore out of a wall does not depend on miner skill level anymore - it is always a 25% chance to drop a usable stone/ore.
Now, to make up for it, all the stuff like melting ore or creating stone blocks creates 4x as much of its output material than before.
So prior 34.08: one gold nugget = one gold bar; after: one gold nugget = 4 gold bars.
Miner's skill level still determines speed of course.
(a>b) ? false : true

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 28, 2012, 11:13:31 am »

I don't think so. If it isn't in the game, it totally should be, it makes good sense from an intuitive as well as a gameplay point of view. They'll do some specific labors (harvesting and tearing down walls, off the top of my head) and gain levels in those skills. What skills do they have anyway? Were they born in your fort or did they arrive as migrants?

I abandoned that fort and have no babies in this one so can't check. But the skills were novice in mining, plant gathering, masonry, carpentry, brewery and stuff like that. None of them had skills which I did not use in my fort.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 28, 2012, 11:28:28 am »

I caught a Roc with a pretty long name. Can I tame it, for real?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 28, 2012, 12:43:54 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Roc

Short answer: Yes. But I have no idea what "exotic" means
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:51:30 pm by Yovatsap »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 28, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

used to mean untamable, but now just means it may take some extra effort and is a bit more dangerous.

in effect, not much difference, might just take a bit longer to get it effective
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1947 on: May 28, 2012, 02:45:13 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Roc

Short answer: Yes. But I have no idea what "exotic" means
Be careful.  While you can "tame" captured war animals, they still remain hostile to your civilization and will attack if let out of their cages.  So it depends on how that roc got its name.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 28, 2012, 02:50:15 pm »

So, I haven't seen lignite or coal since v0.31. I've just learned to live with it and run for the Magma, but it's really starting to get irritating. It's too consistent for randomness, so it has to have something to do with how I gen my worlds or pick my sites. Any advice on how to find better sources of fuel?

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 28, 2012, 03:31:43 pm »

Any advice on how to find better sources of fuel?

It is still in the game, but only found in sedimentary layers and those are replaced with igneous extrusive layers on high volcanism sites. Setting the site finder to show flux might help as most flux stones are found within sedimentary layers. And don't settle on volcanoes or fiddle a bit more in advanced world generation parameters as decribed on http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Volcano
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 422