Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881619 times)

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1905 on: May 26, 2012, 12:13:29 pm »

It seems that throwing boulders into magma (ie, a garbage incinerator) produces lava mist. Is this new to this version? I don't think it happened before...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: May 26, 2012, 12:16:27 pm »

So... my current fort just lost all but one dwarven child due to a siege, and subsequent dehydratings/going mad/etc. (Said dwarven child may have been saved due to the small blip in happiness given when he slaughtered another berserking dwarven child by smashing his fist through his brain. At age two. But I digress.)

Now though I've had my first migrant wave come in, and get settled in enough that they no longer have the flashing "X" over them. But my nobles screen remains blank, with no ability to appoint anyone (which means I can't form a militia to get rid of the last few stragglers that keep interrupting jobs, for instance.)

Will the noble ranks/ability to appoint them eventually come back for whatever reason, or am I pretty much doomed to scrub the fort and start anew?

E: Nevermind, seems to be a bug as reported in Mantis. Ugh. Guess it's time to abandon.

Wait till they elect an expedition leader.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: May 26, 2012, 01:21:33 pm »

It seems that throwing boulders into magma (ie, a garbage incinerator) produces lava mist. Is this new to this version? I don't think it happened before...

pretty new yeah

@stormfeather:

mayors, if you have enough population (or probably expedition leaders) are elected in hematite, after which you can usually set most functions like manager and broker again. Barons won't be replaced
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: May 26, 2012, 01:54:15 pm »

Thanks, I ended up abandoning though - I had an ambush right after, and couldn't appoint a military to go wipe them out or anything, and got tired of watching my dwarves run around endlessly and uselessly. I finally just abandoned.

Isileth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: May 26, 2012, 02:38:48 pm »

I'm newish to the game and was building a cistern for my fort yet got some unexpected results, hopefully someone can tell me whats going on.

I embarked at the start of a brook and was using a u bend with stairs on each side. Based on what I read on the wiki I expected the water to rise to one level below the river on the other side. However it is simply going to the bottom of the u bend and not rising at all.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: May 26, 2012, 02:55:04 pm »

I'm newish to the game and was building a cistern for my fort yet got some unexpected results, hopefully someone can tell me whats going on.

I embarked at the start of a brook and was using a u bend with stairs on each side. Based on what I read on the wiki I expected the water to rise to one level below the river on the other side. However it is simply going to the bottom of the u bend and not rising at all.
Do you have any diagonal pathways at the bottom of the bend?

Isileth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: May 26, 2012, 03:08:13 pm »

No its a straight line all the way from the river to the cistern, joined to the river without a diagonal as well.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: May 27, 2012, 12:58:30 am »

No its a straight line all the way from the river to the cistern, joined to the river without a diagonal as well.
Bwuh... That's bizarre. Are you absolutely sure there's open space in the section the water is supposed to rise through? That might seem obvious, but I can't think of anything.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: May 27, 2012, 03:16:16 am »

So, I have a small problem. I have a short drawbridge  placed on the track leading from my outdoor wood stockpile into the fort that I keep closed to block access, though I do have some cart triggered pressure plates to activate the bridge. But, so far, whenever I set the minecart to guide down(since it splots off my main rail at my main wood stockpile), the dorfs simply take the cart off and haul it down to the stockpile below. How do I fix this?(and no, pushing isn't an option due to the aforementioned T-split)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: May 27, 2012, 06:31:05 am »

So... my current fort just lost all but one dwarven child due to a siege, and subsequent dehydratings/going mad/etc. (Said dwarven child may have been saved due to the small blip in happiness given when he slaughtered another berserking dwarven child by smashing his fist through his brain. At age two. But I digress.)

Now though I've had my first migrant wave come in, and get settled in ...

Boy, imagine the migrants.
(when still outside) "Ahhh yes, this place looks formidable. Very nice."
And then they go inside, find everyone dead apart from a very unhappy 2-year old child covered in blood.
(a>b) ? false : true

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: May 27, 2012, 07:52:08 am »

Playing 34.10

Traders came in before I set up stonetraps in my three tiles wide passageway. Trade Depot was obviously accessible.

During trade some dorfs put up some rows of stone traps, and now the traders "have left", the game tells me. But they are still here, they just won't trade, and they cannot leave, because the depot is not accessible.

Deconstructing the traps frees up the passage and lets the merchants out.

This is not normal dwarfish behavior, I have had lots of forts with lots of stonetraps, and they have never before blocked access to the depot. So is this a new feature, or is it a bug?
DF: where imagination beats animation

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: May 27, 2012, 07:59:48 am »

I want to start a fort with the pop cap set to 0 so I won't get migrants after the hard-coded waves.

My question is; what problems would I encounter in such a case?

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: May 27, 2012, 08:30:51 am »

I want to start a fort with the pop cap set to 0 so I won't get migrants after the hard-coded waves.

0 may be a bugged value meaning no cap. Set it to 1.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: May 27, 2012, 08:33:45 am »

0 may be a bugged value meaning no cap. Set it to 1.

K then. Thanks for the heads up. But still I need some speculations as to what would happen? Would I be defenseless against attacks or anything like that?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: May 27, 2012, 08:59:11 am »

Playing 34.10

Traders came in before I set up stonetraps in my three tiles wide passageway. Trade Depot was obviously accessible.

During trade some dorfs put up some rows of stone traps, and now the traders "have left", the game tells me. But they are still here, they just won't trade, and they cannot leave, because the depot is not accessible.

Deconstructing the traps frees up the passage and lets the merchants out.

This is not normal dwarfish behavior, I have had lots of forts with lots of stonetraps, and they have never before blocked access to the depot. So is this a new feature, or is it a bug?

Traps blocking wagons is a new "feature" that was introduced along with minecarts and wheelbarrows.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 422