Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881755 times)

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1845 on: May 21, 2012, 06:36:44 pm »

Well, that sucks. The silver lining to this is that I have an entire continent to myself.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: May 21, 2012, 08:49:40 pm »

The wiki says I get the option to become the capital when my population has reached 140.

Well I'm at 142+2 children, have reached Duchy status, and I don't have the choice.  Same noble from Mayor -> Duchess.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?  I've exported more than 100k, created more than 100k, built more than 10k in roads, regularly trade (have trade agreements continuously) and meet with the outpost liason as expected.

So what's the deal?  It worked in 31.25, I remember having it show up there many times.  What's different in 34.x?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: May 21, 2012, 10:34:20 pm »

Have you given offerings to your home civilization? You should be able to press (c) on the noble screen to see your status on becoming the capital, and offerings are one of the requirements. (And at that point, it's not so much an "option," just the king and his retinue will suddenly show up on your doorstep saying "oh hai, new capital, gimme good rooms kplzthx"

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: May 21, 2012, 11:30:46 pm »

Have you given offerings to your home civilization? You should be able to press (c) on the noble screen to see your status on becoming the capital, and offerings are one of the requirements. (And at that point, it's not so much an "option," just the king and his retinue will suddenly show up on your doorstep saying "oh hai, new capital, gimme good rooms kplzthx"
Yep, I've given over 1M in offerings.  Tried to cover all the bases! :)  I don't see the option on that screen, at all.  I've seen it before in 31.25, just haven't seen it in 34.x yet, personally.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: May 21, 2012, 11:53:33 pm »

Does the savagery of a biome change during world gen or afterwards if you've played your world for long enough? There's this continent in the south that is all savage badlands with the odd tiny jungle. I'm curious if the humans will ever settle it.

DOES change, if a town is right on top of that area.  This can lead to benign areas right near savage ones if humans are already present.  However in your circumstance that you've outlined nobody will ever move to that badland area unless you got there.  Worldgen could run for 10,000 years and nobody will ever go across the waters to get there and depopulate the local wildlife.

Better get to it ;)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: May 22, 2012, 12:28:19 am »

Does the savagery of a biome change during world gen or afterwards if you've played your world for long enough? There's this continent in the south that is all savage badlands with the odd tiny jungle. I'm curious if the humans will ever settle it.

DOES change, if a town is right on top of that area.  This can lead to benign areas right near savage ones if humans are already present.  However in your circumstance that you've outlined nobody will ever move to that badland area unless you got there.  Worldgen could run for 10,000 years and nobody will ever go across the waters to get there and depopulate the local wildlife.

Better get to it ;)
Aha! I knew I remembered reading in one of the DF talks (or perhaps a forum post by toady) that savagery will change under certain circumstances, but I could not remember how. Thank you!
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: May 22, 2012, 01:01:23 am »

The wiki says I get the option to become the capital when my population has reached 140.

Well I'm at 142+2 children, have reached Duchy status, and I don't have the choice.  Same noble from Mayor -> Duchess.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?  I've exported more than 100k, created more than 100k, built more than 10k in roads, regularly trade (have trade agreements continuously) and meet with the outpost liason as expected.

So what's the deal?  It worked in 31.25, I remember having it show up there many times.  What's different in 34.x?

Your population cap has to allow further migrants, the king and his bodyguards are treated as a migrant wave.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: May 22, 2012, 04:14:04 am »

I'm guessing you've already checked to see if your king is alive.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: May 22, 2012, 05:44:51 am »

we're also assuming you gave some gifts to the mountainhomes to show the king how wealthy you are
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:27 am »

Is there any way to see if a Dwarf is pregnant?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: May 22, 2012, 08:22:06 am »

Only married female dwarfs can become pregnant. There is no real way to tell if a dwarf is pregnant right now, though.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:57 am »

if you did not reach the child cap yet, the dwarf is married and gave birth at least a few months ago to the last child, or not even gave birth yet (newly weds, how cute), chances are big she's pregnant now
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: May 22, 2012, 09:00:27 am »

That's too bad.

Other question: I just filled a minecart with rocks and let it be pushed into a wall. Why didn't the rocks fall out? I thought that was supposed to happen.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: May 22, 2012, 09:13:12 am »

... Your population cap has to allow further migrants, the king and his bodyguards are treated as a migrant wave.

Ok, so if I have my pop cap set at 140, and I'm now at 142, I have to increase it?  It's odd this is the case, and the wiki makes no mention of it.  If that's true, the player should be advised to set it to 150+, with an explanation that 140 is really not the cap, either.

And yes, I've given over 1 million dorfbucks in offerings.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:05 am »

Methinks a mine cart needs considerable speed to lose its contents on collision, don't think pushing will do the trick. I'm new to this stuff myself however, will try some stuff out myself.

Wich brings me to my question. Do heavy material minecarts have more force or will rollers give the carts equal force (and thus different speed)? Would lead minecarts make for a deadly defense system?
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 422