Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881712 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1815 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:48 pm »

I have a slight problem with a few of my stockpiles (v .07). Dwarves wont restock them. I have about 200 logs sitting in my depot and my wood stockpiles is empty. I tried moving the stockpile, deconstructing the depot, etc. Same goes for my lignite stockpile. Lots of idle haulers. No current burrow orders. I'm puzzled.

Any chance you turned your hauling off for stone and wood in your (o)rders screen? it's pretty easy to do by accident. :/

Other than that... make sure that your stockpiles are accessible (you didn't accidentally remove ramps/stairs leading to them), and that they're not full of stone (I know some people hide it with... dfhack? Or something.)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 19, 2012, 04:44:41 pm »

Other than that... make sure that your stockpiles are accessible (you didn't accidentally remove ramps/stairs leading to them), and that they're not full of stone (I know some people hide it with... dfhack? Or something.)
(d)(b)(h) hides things IIRC. It's built into the vanilla interface right next to the mass forbid and unforbid controls.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 19, 2012, 04:45:15 pm »

Maybe you could have constructed some fake walls (suspending their construction) on the stairs - dwarfs wont stand on these tiles then to do something else. If they were constructed stairs, you could have ordered destroying them and then suspend that order. I'm not sure about this though, but it might help directing the dwarves.

They are constructed stairs. If I order the stairs to be deconstructed, I can't suspend that job. I can order floor hatches to be built on the same square and suspend that, but it doesn't have any effect (tried both the stairs and floor squares).

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 19, 2012, 04:56:54 pm »

Any chance you turned your hauling off for stone and wood in your (o)rders screen? it's pretty easy to do by accident. :/

This. Realized it myself a second ago.
(a>b) ? false : true

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 19, 2012, 10:03:55 pm »

so guys, i'm playin a .07 fort and just got my first seige in year 3 i think. i sent my military out to handle it and lost 6 guys of my 50 or so( 2 champions and its was about 20 gobos) but ever since then i feel like my fort is going down hill. It's very disorganised as it's my first actually lasting fort. should i abandon or play it out of do HFS or what?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 19, 2012, 10:07:49 pm »

A nice way to end a fort that's going to long is to trigger HFS and flail about valiantly trying to defeat it.

Elsewise if you find yourself getting bored with a fortress it's always ok to abandon it and start again. Plus if this was your first lasting fortress then you can always take what you learned from this run-through to make a lasting fort that fits your ideals better.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 20, 2012, 02:12:25 am »

A nice way to end a fort that's going to long is to trigger HFS and flail about valiantly trying to defeat it.

Elsewise if you find yourself getting bored with a fortress it's always ok to abandon it and start again. Plus if this was your first lasting fortress then you can always take what you learned from this run-through to make a lasting fort that fits your ideals better.

And now if you abandon, the survivors will show up as migrants in newer fortresses you make, if they are the same dwarf civilization.

Which makes me think of a possible exploit- IIRC, when you embark as part of an extinct dwarven civ, you not only get your starting seven, but also 2 migrant waves and a caravan at the first winter are procedurally generated instead of being historic figures. Now, if you abandon after that and start a new fort, will your dudes from the previous fort immigrate after the hardcoded 2 waves?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:56 am »

(d)(b)(h) hides things IIRC. It's built into the vanilla interface right next to the mass forbid and unforbid controls.

Ah, right. I think I was thinking of a mod that automagically cleans rock/whatever up and destroys it.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 20, 2012, 10:02:58 am »

I have a company of archers stationed to protect an artifact gem from marauding parrots. It would be so much simpler to keep the thing indoors, but I can't figure out how to move large gems from one place to another. This is further complicated by the inability to dump artifacts. Any clues?

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 20, 2012, 10:08:47 am »

I have a company of archers stationed to protect an artifact gem from marauding parrots. It would be so much simpler to keep the thing indoors, but I can't figure out how to move large gems from one place to another. This is further complicated by the inability to dump artifacts. Any clues?

Make a finished goods stockpile that only accepts artifact quality items.
And disable the same on the stockpile the gem is currently in.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 20, 2012, 10:13:13 am »

Channel under it to move it down a Z level, then rebuild the floor over it?

Construct walls around it, and a roof over it?  Bonus points for building a whole pyramid to house it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1826 on: May 20, 2012, 10:17:47 am »

There is no in-game way to move an artifact large gem that is not made of glass, other than by digging underneath it or causing a cave-in.  This is because large gems not made of glass do not match any stockpile category, and artifacts can neither be dumped nor traded, which are the other ways that one can usually move large gems.

Why did you build a jeweler's workshop on the surface?

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 20, 2012, 10:31:30 am »

Channel under it to move it down a Z level, then rebuild the floor over it?

Construct walls around it, and a roof over it?  Bonus points for building a whole pyramid to house it.

This.
Gem now sits gathering dust in a rather unappealing dirt hallway. Maybe later I'll build something for it.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 20, 2012, 12:20:34 pm »

Quick question: does DFHack and Dwarf Therapist work with 34.09 now?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 20, 2012, 12:27:07 pm »

check their threads in the modding forum, that should answer your question faster than anyone here can

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=13.0
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 422