Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881702 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1680 on: May 09, 2012, 06:21:27 pm »

random question:

what does it mean when I have an item that looks like {item}. It isn't parentheses like when the item is imported.

It's forbidden.

But then why was my militia dwarf still using it? (it was an *oaken shield*) That and I have never forbidden anything.

He's likely attached to it.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: May 09, 2012, 06:25:16 pm »

3-4 casualties for an ambush is a bit high, but if they're fresh recruits it might be more reasonable.  Killing or having merchants be killed has a pretty small effect on the chances of war.  Diplomats are what you need to worry about.  Merchant deaths seem to mostly impact the size of the caravan next year.

I'm not too sure about the ice forgotten beast, but since it has deadly vapors my first instinct is to say that you shouldn't get into melee with it if at all possible.  I'm not 100% sure, but ice should be a weapon material so even poor quality bolts should do damage.  Whether or not you could shoot it enough to stop it with that alone I can't say.

If you have to get into melee with it, axes are probably your best bet.  Anything metal should be able to defeat the material properties of ice.

Thank you for the reply and your reward is a funny from my fort. i just noticed my human neighbors are named mong tamed (the nation of spooning)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: May 09, 2012, 07:01:41 pm »

they will keep using forbidden items until they drop it, then they won't pick it back up unless you claim it.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: May 09, 2012, 07:28:07 pm »

So, I'm training up a military. Should I use real weapons for their sparring sessions or the training equivalents? I don't know if this is still the case, but in 40d using anything steel and pointy would result in all kinds of fun accidents, especially if they weren't armored. Would steel weaponry still be lethal when used to train in the current version? How about with or without armor?
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: May 09, 2012, 07:32:46 pm »

It's forbidden.

But then why was my militia dwarf still using it? (it was an *oaken shield*) That and I have never forbidden anything.

There's a bug that's been in the game for ages, where weapons that get "stuck in" an opponent become forbidden, even though your dwarves are still holding and using them.  Periodically, you need to go through and unforbid them all, to avoid undesirable behaviors.  As long as the dwarf never actually lets go of the weapon, there will be no problems, and you may not even notice that it has become forbidden.  But if he ever drops it for any reason, he won't be able to pick it back up.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: May 09, 2012, 07:34:17 pm »

So, I'm training up a military. Should I use real weapons for their sparring sessions or the training equivalents? I don't know if this is still the case, but in 40d using anything steel and pointy would result in all kinds of fun accidents, especially if they weren't armored. Would steel weaponry still be lethal when used to train in the current version? How about with or without armor?

This was changed in 0.31.  Sparring is completely safe now, and there is no point in using training weapons if you have real weapons, unless you are trying to prolong the life of a training goblin (or equivalent).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: May 09, 2012, 07:34:34 pm »

Sparring is completely safe now.  No armor is needed and any weapon is fine now.  I've heard that accidents can still happen, but in scores of years of forts in .31 I've never seen one.

I think wearing armor might help with armor user skill though, so I'd encourage having it on anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »

A question about kobolds:

Are they a myth?

In all of my games of Dwarf Fortress through several versions, for over a year, I have never, ever, seen a kobold.  Back in 31.25 I did the [NOEAT] [NODRINK] mod to supposedly prevent them from starving in worldgen.  Recently I stopped doing that because I heard it was no longer necessary.  At any rate, I have never seen a Kobold civilization listed alongside the Human, Elf, and Goblin civilizations when choosing an embark site, and never seen one in my fort. 

Am I missing something?  How do I get kobolds to exist in my world?

Hahaha, don't know if it has anything to do with the recent changes to not need to add [NOEAT] to kobolds, but my fort has just welcomed Gulbin, my first ever Kobold!  Now to decide what to do with her...

Oh, and for anyone else curious, it seems the kobold civ won't show up in your civilization screen in Fortress mode until you spot one.

EDIT: Make that 2.  Gokobojlursnus decided to show up too :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:59:20 pm by Xen0n »

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: May 09, 2012, 08:38:59 pm »

New question for you guys...

My waterfall of happy thoughts is working great except for one issue. Every winter the rivers freeze and wherever a block of ice forms in the waterfall the floor grate under it is removed. The wiki seems to suggest that some materials can survive this...

The freezing/thawing of ice breaks hatch covers made of some materials.

So do some materials withstand ice or is my waterfall mini-project doomed?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1689 on: May 09, 2012, 08:43:33 pm »

Freezing deconstructs anything.  Waterfalls of happiness are best made underground.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1690 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:28 pm »

I've seen this when a dwarf has "become attached" to a weapon.  I've never seen this for a shield, though.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: May 09, 2012, 11:32:33 pm »

Besides *death* is there any method of replacing your current baron?  My current baron is good, but she's my only skilled glassmaker.

Currently had to place my baron into the military otherwise she's a couch potato and never works.   Does anyone know of a method for replacing your current baron? (besides *death*)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:15 am »

Not possible without modding the raws to allow your expedition leader to appoint barons (only possible with a regen, I believe).  Even if you kill your baron you'll not get another. :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:56 am »

A) I saw it mentioned in another thread that taming has changed recently. What exactly has changed?
B) Is there any significant downside to having all militia members training every month? Do they need time off?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:34:55 am by Louist »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:40:33 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 422