Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881793 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1620 on: May 08, 2012, 12:59:10 am »

It took me until my 10th year in my current fort to get a named weapon. I think he had 65+ notable kills before doing it, including several FB and megabeasts.

From an old DF talk, toady said it's based on how notable the weapon is. Whether the dwarf is attached to it and it's done noteworthy things, like killing dragons and such.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: May 08, 2012, 02:23:13 am »

killing 100 crundles probably won't do the trick
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 08, 2012, 07:40:57 am »

Just curious, but if you never make a refuse stockpile, how do you deal with vermin corpses?

I ignore them, unless one is blocking a door that I want to close -- then I'll dump it.  Eventually they rot away on their own.

Vermin corpses stopped producing miasma at some point during the 0.31.x series.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 08, 2012, 07:44:45 am »

So adamantine wears out?  Even if it's in "boot" or "helm" shape?  How very interesting... I wonder if that's a bug.  It's certainly new behavior.  Adamantine armor (mail shirts, etc.) never used to wear out, though adamantine cloaks did.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1624 on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:54 am »

Is the adamantine armor in a refuse pile?  To get rid of old clothing Toady made items in a refuse pile wear out over time, even if they wouldn't normally.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 08, 2012, 08:13:08 am »

it probably was in a stockpile that allowed refuse at some point. only cloaks and other candy cloth items would normally degrade. I've had degrading steel items too, without them ever being worn, before I figured this out
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 08, 2012, 08:18:25 am »

Question about meeting areas/dining halls: I've recently(ish) avoided designating my main dining hall as a meeting area from an object, instead setting it as a meeting area zone.  This has the benefit that it stops all the damn parties from being thrown (as it's my understanding that parties only occur around an object that's used to designate a room), but am I right in thinking this also stops all the positive "legendary dining room" thoughts as well?

In short: do I have to choose between constant, work-disrupting parties or a lack of positive thoughts from my legendary dining room?  Is there no happy middle ground?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:21 am »

"legendary dining room" thoughts come from eating in a room designated as a dining room.  If you designate the room as a dining room, but don't designate it as a meeting hall, dwarves will eat there and get good thoughts from the dining room, but won't throw parties.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 08, 2012, 08:36:24 am »

"legendary dining room" thoughts come from eating in a room designated as a dining room.  If you designate the room as a dining room, but don't designate it as a meeting hall, dwarves will eat there and get good thoughts from the dining room, but won't throw parties.

Awesome!  So does this mean that I can dig out/set up a legendary dining room, designate it as such (but NOT as a meeting hall) from one of the tables, then zone the whole thing as a meeting zone?  That will presumably make my dwarves hang out there by default (because of the zone), and eat there/get good thoughts there when they're hungry (because of the room designation), right?
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 08, 2012, 08:38:37 am »

Yep.  That's what I usually do - make a magnificent dining hall, set it as a dining hall, then create a meeting area activity zone in it.  Dwarves hang out, eat, enjoy the dining room, but don't throw parties.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:53 am »

Vermin corpses stopped producing miasma at some point during the 0.31.x series.

/jawdrop    I never knew...  glad I asked!
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:05 am »

killing 100 crundles probably won't do the trick
Crundles? I haven't seen any so far. I mean goblins and goblin lords and the forgotten beasts that have been absolutely obliterated. . .
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:55 am »

Will siblings marry?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 08, 2012, 11:13:40 am »

It took me until my 10th year in my current fort to get a named weapon. I think he had 65+ notable kills before doing it, including several FB and megabeasts.

From an old DF talk, toady said it's based on how notable the weapon is. Whether the dwarf is attached to it and it's done noteworthy things, like killing dragons and such.

*nods*  It doesn't take large numbers of kills either.

I have a bronze spear, Nokgolsub - Riddleddrips, that was named after only 8 notable kills (4 trolls, 4 gobs) and then a Forgotten Beast.

Mind you, the naming dorf was already a spearmaster who'd become attached to the weapon shortly after picking it up out of the cold, dead hands of the first dorf to use it on the battlefield.   The first owner racked up 3 of the gobbo kills before "passing it on" to the current owner.

Has been accredited now with 43 'notable' kills and 4 'others.'
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: May 08, 2012, 11:14:55 am »

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 422