Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881807 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1590 on: May 05, 2012, 06:07:08 pm »

Atom smashers. Were they nerfed? My recent attempts to clear hte map of unwanted debris resulted in a rather humorous explosion of rock and goblin/elf corpses. .
Can you describe what you did? You may have done it incorrectly.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:54 pm »

Well, I made a bridge that raises and lowers. Raised it. Dumped the unwanted materials under it. Lowered it. Bam, rocksplosion, nothing got erased.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: May 05, 2012, 06:18:51 pm »

Well, I made a bridge that raises and lowers. Raised it. Dumped the unwanted materials under it. Lowered it. Bam, rocksplosion, nothing got erased.
Hmm, that shouldn't happen.
Maybe try lowering the bridge and dumping the stuff on one of the tiles that turns solid?

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: May 05, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »

. . .I bet it has to be inside, doesn't it?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: May 05, 2012, 06:46:11 pm »

. . .I bet it has to be inside, doesn't it?
I don't think that would effect it, but I could be wrong.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: May 05, 2012, 08:00:59 pm »

Items / creatures scattering is usually what happens when you raise/retract a bridge which has the items on it, as opposed to under it.

I'm not entirely certain what the effects are if you build a retracting bridge over a solid area (accidentally) and then try to use it for atom-smashing purposes.

From prior experience with caravan guards and haulers, there is most definitely no requirement for the bridge to be inside (or for that matter operated safely, but that's another story).

I would recommend checking your bridge's functionality - it should be more than 1 unit long in the smashing direction, and should consequently change its appearance when raised/lowered. (If it is only 1 unit long then dwarves dumping items on it would be dumping them atop the raised bridge rather than under the smashable area, I think).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1596 on: May 05, 2012, 08:55:46 pm »

Retracting bridges do not smash items, and never have.  They scatter items when they retract or extend.

Raising bridges atom-smash items in the way when they lower.  When they raise, they atom-smash any items on the tiles of the bridge that turn into a wall, and scatters items on the rest of the bridge.  It does NOT matter if there is a roof over the bridge, or walls around it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 06, 2012, 06:50:46 am »

Concerning refuse stockpiles: I know that things tend to rot away more or less slowly when placed in refuse stockpiles. But, does this also apply to useable animal remains like bones and skulls? Is there any difference for indoor/outdoor refuse stockpiles?

I mean, the only way to stockpile bones (and hooves, horns, skulls, you name it) is to make a refuse stockpile, since that's where bones are listed category-wise. But in case they rot away like everything else, this would mean that there's essentially no way of reliably storing them.

It's not a huge problem since I usually make training bolts out of most of my bones anyway, but it would be nice to be able to stockpile some for moods so that I don't have to slaughter some of my livestock every time some Urist McWannabebonecrafter gets a fancy idea (plus, IF someone's going to make a bone artifact, I want it made out of something exotic like giant tiger bone or roc bone, not a bunch of lame dog/cat/alpaca bones).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 06, 2012, 09:49:50 am »

I mean, the only way to stockpile bones (and hooves, horns, skulls, you name it) is to make a refuse stockpile, since that's where bones are listed category-wise. But in case they rot away like everything else, this would mean that there's essentially no way of reliably storing them.

I dump them into a quantum "stockpile".  I never make refuse stockpiles.  Well, except for that one time I tried it because Toady said used clothing would be stored there and would rot away, except that it didn't work.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:42 am »

I dump them into a quantum "stockpile".  I never make refuse stockpiles.  Well, except for that one time I tried it because Toady said used clothing would be stored there and would rot away, except that it didn't work.

hit yourself with an adamantine warhammer several times. Storing clothing and many other things including armor in a stockpile which accepts refuse will make them rot too. If you're having XSteel HelmX, that's why. If people are always complaining about no clothing even if your cloth industry is making overhours, look no further.

Bones and skulls in such storages degrade extremely slowly to non existent. Cartilages, rotting tissues and vermin remains rot away faster, as do animal skins. Outdoors refuse piles rot much faster than underground. Sometimes my refuse stockpile for useable refuse is very large, just because I don't have time to process it, butchering is in full operation and the stuff pretty much never rots away.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:57:15 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: May 06, 2012, 05:49:19 pm »

hit yourself with an adamantine warhammer several times. Storing clothing and many other things including armor in a stockpile which accepts refuse will make them rot too. If you're having XSteel HelmX, that's why. If people are always complaining about no clothing even if your cloth industry is making overhours, look no further.

Bones and skulls in such storages degrade extremely slowly to non existent. Cartilages, rotting tissues and vermin remains rot away faster, as do animal skins. Outdoors refuse piles rot much faster than underground. Sometimes my refuse stockpile for useable refuse is very large, just because I don't have time to process it, butchering is in full operation and the stuff pretty much never rots away.

Interesting!  So, if I want to be able to store all my fresh clothes somewhere, but also have another place where damaged clothes can be put to rot, how would I set the stockpiles up so they don't get mixed up?  I.E. fresh clothes getting put into the worn clothing stockpile and rotting away?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: May 06, 2012, 05:53:21 pm »

[...]
Interesting!  So, if I want to be able to store all my fresh clothes somewhere, but also have another place where damaged clothes can be put to rot, how would I set the stockpiles up so they don't get mixed up?  I.E. fresh clothes getting put into the worn clothing stockpile and rotting away?
There is no way to currently do this, as you can't sort things by damage level.

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: May 06, 2012, 06:03:05 pm »

Thanks for the answers. I've stopped using quantum stockpiles some time ago, so that's out of the question. And while bones etc. do indeed degrade very slowly, I have a habit of doing things EXTREMELY slowly in general, so that kind of evens the odds...

One possible solution I just though of: creating extra 1-tile stockpiles for specific "refuse" I want to store for a long time (e. g. exotic animal bones) and deleting them as soon as the item has been put there. I will then forbid this particular type of item in all the other refuse stockpiles and the item will remain on the ground forever, or until it's used in some way or another.

Would this work, or will organic stuff like animal products always rot away over time, even if it's not in a refuse stockpile?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:08:28 pm by redsector »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: May 06, 2012, 06:36:22 pm »

hit yourself with an adamantine warhammer several times.

Why?

Storing clothing and many other things including armor in a stockpile which accepts refuse will make them rot too. If you're having XSteel HelmX, that's why.

Armor does not Wear.  If you've got a screen shot showing an Xsteel helmX, show us.

In case it wasn't clear, what I meant was that I created a plain old ordinary refuse stockpile, not a clothing stockpile that accepts refuse.  I expected that dwarves would classify their worn-out clothing as refuse and put them there.  They never did.  They stored their old clothing in their personal rooms, or in the finished goods stockpiles.  No clothing was ever put into the refuse stockpile.

So I went back to my normal habit of not making a refuse stockpile.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:40:36 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 06, 2012, 11:26:29 pm »

Storing clothing and many other things including armor in a stockpile which accepts refuse will make them rot too. If you're having XSteel HelmX, that's why.

Armor does not Wear.  If you've got a screen shot showing an Xsteel helmX, show us.

While I'm here, my dwarfs can't make shirts (never seen that before), and some of them aren't happy from my vests, tunics, dresses, and togas. Do I really have to buy shirts to make the prudes happy?
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 422